Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #61
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
1) as a founding member of the University of Calgary Sandwich Appreciation club, an avid Judge John Hodgeman listener, and an an advocate of the rule of law I tell you that this is long ago settled law. You're on the wrong side of history my friend.

Here is but one piece of relevant case law:

https://www.foxnews.com/story/massac...not-a-sandwich

2) This is the opposite of concise.
You've unnecessarily bumped sandwich up to the Class level, when it really is a genus.
That's like saying, "Look, why do we have to have all of these different categories for animals? Humans, dogs, snakes, they're really all just ducks. Let's just call them all ducks, and then we can break that into sub categories like Humans, dogs, and snakes...oh, and ducks."
This is a beautiful argument.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:28 PM   #62
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It doesn't stink, but maybe it does have a high fecal content. There are a bunch of geese that live there and I can't for the life of me figure out why we don't kill them all.
I think all the fake lakes suck.

It’s pretend nature, it’s exclusionary, it contributes to sprawl. It’s surrounded by McMansions. It’s everything that’s wrong with suburban living. Fish Creek and Nose hill are far better than any lake community.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 04:31 PM   #63
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
1) as a founding member of the University of Calgary Sandwich Appreciation club, an avid Judge John Hodgeman listener, and an an advocate of the rule of law I tell you that this is long ago settled law. You're on the wrong side of history my friend.

Here is but one piece of relevant case law:

https://www.foxnews.com/story/massac...not-a-sandwich

2) This is the opposite of concise.
You've unnecessarily bumped sandwich up to the Class level, when it really is a genus.
That's like saying, "Look, why do we have to have all of these different categories for animals? Humans, dogs, snakes, they're really all just ducks. Let's just call them all ducks, and then we can break that into sub categories like Humans, dogs, and snakes...oh, and ducks."

1) I reject your assertion that your standing as the founding member of the University of Calgary Sandwich Appreciation club, makes you an authority on the subject. As a historian who has extensively researched the history of food culture, I believe that I am adequately educated in the subject to state that here needs to be an amendment to that law presented as evidence that burritos, and other sandwich like substances are in fact not in the sandwich class.

I suggest that the ruling in principle should be upheld, with the amendment that the differences within the sandwich class are broad enough that in some instances there is adequate distinction between sandwich orientation and composition for them to be titled, and marketed as separate entities under the same class.

2) Historically, there has been several changes to the classification system of animals based on new compelling evidence. Tradition is not a justification for bad science! Categorizing burritos, hot dogs, pizza or even more radically the breaded chicken wing as anything different as a class is the equivalent of justifying animal classes should be based on how many arms, or legs a species has, or whether or not it has the full overage of fur, or has a tail, or lives under water. These aesthetic differences can not dissuade us from the similarities within the class. Just as all mammals breath oxygen and are derived from the same ancestor, all sandwiches are easily held and eaten by hand. Although the wrapping and the substance may vary from sandwich to sandwich they serve the same function, to conglomerate several ingredients into a single food class and can be held and eaten with the hand.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 12-05-2019 at 04:34 PM.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #64
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think all the fake lakes suck.

It’s pretend nature, it’s exclusionary, it contributes to sprawl. It’s surrounded by McMansions. It’s everything that’s wrong with suburban living. Fish Creek and Nose hill are far better than any lake community.
Well, first of all, Bonavista borders Fish Creek. Fish Creek is amazing. Second, it's an absolute slap in the face to the very concept of natural beauty itself to write Nosehill in the same sentence as Fish Creek. Nosehill is dead grass, tumbleweed and dog crap. It's a blite on Calgary.

Finally, you're talking to a guy that has artificial grass in his backyard. Pretend nature is the best nature. I like things looking and being perfect. Lake Bonavista is basically perfect. I also love that it is exclusionary. Why would I want riff-raff at my lake? And yeah, the mansions that surround the lakes are something else. I live in a normal bungalow a couple blocks away, though. No mansion for this guy.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:56 PM   #65
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

You people!!
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #66
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
It doesn't stink, but maybe it does have a high fecal content. There are a bunch of geese that live there and I can't for the life of me figure out why we don't kill them all.
I just moved to Lake Bonavista and I have yet to see someone trucking around on a Rascal scooter.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 05:03 PM   #67
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I just moved to Lake Bonavista and I have yet to see someone trucking around on a Rascal scooter.
Hey neat, welcome to the neighbourhood!

Yeah, I haven't been driving it around much for the past year. Out of the blue I felt like a total idiot on it one day. It made no sense after years of going everywhere I could with it. I still have it at the ready - I'll charge it up and go for a rip to see if I still have it in me. Otherwise, I may have to pass the torch on to you.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #68
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, I haven't been driving it around much for the past year. Out of the blue I felt like a total idiot on it one day. It made no sense after years of going everywhere I could with it. I still have it at the ready - I'll charge it up and go for a rip to see if I still have it in me. Otherwise, I may have to pass the torch on to you.
Wait.. what..?
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #69
Knut

Exp:

Quote:

Nope. Not gonna ride a scooter. Although I live about 5 mins from the Arena. It would be neat to roll up to the rink on a scooter with my kid and his hockey stuff.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:28 PM   #70
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Cider is better than beer.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 06:31 PM   #71
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Anybody want to argue about anything?
Old 12-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #72
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

How did they get the caramilk in the caramilk bar?
Old 12-05-2019, 06:42 PM   #73
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
How did they get the caramilk in the caramilk bar?
Always the last candy to be eaten at our house after Halloween.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:53 PM   #74
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Nope. Not gonna ride a scooter. Although I live about 5 mins from the Arena. It would be neat to roll up to the rink on a scooter with my kid and his hockey stuff.
Well, I do have a matching wagon and I rigged up a trailer hitch so you could do this.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #75
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slacker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 10:42 PM   #76
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

doozwimp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doozwimp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 10:43 PM   #77
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Die Hard is an excellent action movie. But it is not a Christmas movie. Anyone who says it is is overcompensating for their own perceived lack of manliness.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 11:03 PM   #78
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Die Hard is an excellent action movie. But it is not a Christmas movie. Anyone who says it is is overcompensating for their own perceived lack of manliness.
Disagree. I think people who argue in favour of Die Hard as a Christmas movie (it is!) do so out of self-preservation.

If you've got a wife and kids you can only watch Elf, A Christmas Story or Love Actually so many times before the urge to kill elevates to an uncontrollable level and your home resembles the denouement of a Stephen King novel.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 11:06 PM   #79
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Disagree. I think people who argue in favour of Die Hard as a Christmas movie (it is!) do so out of self-preservation.

If you've got a wife and kids you can only watch Elf, A Christmas Story or Love Actually so many times before the urge to kill elevates to an uncontrollable level and your home resembles the denouement of a Stephen King novel.
Wrong. If they meant for it to be a Christmas movie, it would have been released in theatres in November. It was released in July that year. People also would have talked about it being a Christmas movie before 2013 if it was.

It isn't.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:13 PM   #80
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What the heck does calling Die Hard a Christmas movie have to do with manliness?

The franchise has embraced the Christmas'ness of it by the way, releasing it as a book

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post: