Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #41
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never liked ham much, maybe it was just because it always seemed dry when my mom made it (shes otherwise a great cook) but I just don't like it unless it's smoked.

My go to on Christmas eve is prime rib and Yorkshire puddings. Now THATS a holiday dinner
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #42
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I restarted my sourdough starter a few days ago. Even after months of refrigeration, it is already bubbling away after a few feedings.

I also have an oxtail stew planned for tonight.
Wow, refrigerated for months without feeding? Impressive. The longest I've gone is 2 1/2 weeks in the fridge and then I start to panic that it's going to die.

If you want some easy Christmas "baking", try "Christmas Crack"

1 sleeve saltine crackers
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 package chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and line a 10" x 15" with foil (the kind of sheet that has raised edges!). Spray with Pam, or grease VERY lightly with butter. (Or use parchment, it doesn't stick to parchment paper) Cover the cookie sheet with a single layer of saltines. Bring butter and brown sugar to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring with a whisk.
Pour over the saltines, and try to spread it as evenly as possible. Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. When you remove it, the caramel mixture will be molten and boiling; allow to cool about 3 min, or until you can see the crackers distinctly, which will have shifted while baking (MINE DIDN'T SHIFT). Push them back into order with a fork or knife.

Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the toffee and let sit for about 5 minutes to melt. Once melted spread chocolate evenly. f desired, sprinkle on pecans and press lightly into the chocolate. Let cool a bit and then transfer to fridge to harden. Once hard, break the candy into small pieces and place in containers.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #43
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
Wow, refrigerated for months without feeding? Impressive. The longest I've gone is 2 1/2 weeks in the fridge and then I start to panic that it's going to die.

If you want some easy Christmas "baking", try "Christmas Crack"

1 sleeve saltine crackers
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 package chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and line a 10" x 15" with foil (the kind of sheet that has raised edges!). Spray with Pam, or grease VERY lightly with butter. (Or use parchment, it doesn't stick to parchment paper) Cover the cookie sheet with a single layer of saltines. Bring butter and brown sugar to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring with a whisk.
Pour over the saltines, and try to spread it as evenly as possible. Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. When you remove it, the caramel mixture will be molten and boiling; allow to cool about 3 min, or until you can see the crackers distinctly, which will have shifted while baking (MINE DIDN'T SHIFT). Push them back into order with a fork or knife.

Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the toffee and let sit for about 5 minutes to melt. Once melted spread chocolate evenly. f desired, sprinkle on pecans and press lightly into the chocolate. Let cool a bit and then transfer to fridge to harden. Once hard, break the candy into small pieces and place in containers.
I was a little bit worried as this was my third attempt at a sourdough. I underfed the others, and they ended up smelling like paint thinner. This fellow though stayed in the fridge for about 6 months, developed a nice layer of grey hootch on the top, but is nicely bubbling after three feedings. I will go all out Sunday, and make a few loaves.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #44
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Grasshopper Pie

Ingredients

20 oreo cookies with icing.
5 Tbsp butter, melted
3/4 cup hot milk
24 large marshmallows
1/4 cup creme de menthe liqueur - I use more
1 cup whipping cream, whipped

Preperation

1 Preheat oven to 425°F. In a food processor add Oreo cookies and chop up. Add melted butter to the cookie crumbs and pat into bottom and sides of 10 inch pie dish. Bake in oven for 5 to 10 minutes; remove from oven and cool completely. Once cooled, place in freezer to chill.

2 In saucepan, melt marshmallows in milk over medium heat. Remove from heat and cool. Add creme de menthe and mix well. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into chilled pie shell. Sprinkle extra cookie crumbs on top of pie. Freeze for 3 or 4 hours.

Last edited by Dion; 12-10-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #45
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Odd question, how do some of you guys cook turkey? A trick I've learned is to cook it breast down. That way, the juices drip down and "boil" the meat in the breast so it's not as dry. If you want a crisp skin like in the movies, you then flip the bird and broil it for a minute or so.

Another thing I learned was shredding turkey rather than cutting it also keeps it from getting dry.

Finally, great cranberry sauce requires 2 ingredients. I absolutely hate canned sauce, but this one, I like.
- Frozen cranberries (Fresh doesn't work, but you can always throw a fresh cranberries into the freezer over night before using)
- Sugar

1. Throw frozen cranberries to cover 1 layer flat the bottom of a pot/pan. Don't stack, it'll leave chunks.
2. Put stove on "low" heat (2/10 or 3/10) and allow frozen cranberries to disintegrate.
3. Stir at it starts disintegrating.
4. Add sugar to taste. (It's REALLY sour otherwise)
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #46
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Odd question, how do some of you guys cook turkey? A trick I've learned is to cook it breast down. That way, the juices drip down and "boil" the meat in the breast so it's not as dry. If you want a crisp skin like in the movies, you then flip the bird and broil it for a minute or so.

Another thing I learned was shredding turkey rather than cutting it also keeps it from getting dry.

Finally, great cranberry sauce requires 2 ingredients. I absolutely hate canned sauce, but this one, I like.
- Frozen cranberries (Fresh doesn't work, but you can always throw a fresh cranberries into the freezer over night before using)
- Sugar

1. Throw frozen cranberries to cover 1 layer flat the bottom of a pot/pan. Don't stack, it'll leave chunks.
2. Put stove on "low" heat (2/10 or 3/10) and allow frozen cranberries to disintegrate.
3. Stir at it starts disintegrating.
4. Add sugar to taste. (It's REALLY sour otherwise)
Because the white/dark meat have different requirements, I've learned to embrace the spatchcock. This is my go-to guide for turkeys. It covers everything from skin to cooking temperatures.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/b...-food-lab.html
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #47
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Because the white/dark meat have different requirements, I've learned to embrace the spatchcock. This is my go-to guide for turkeys. It covers everything from skin to cooking temperatures.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/b...-food-lab.html

What kind/size of pan are you using? For a chicken, I--and I assume--most people have an oven and pans big enough to accommodate. But a turkey barely fits in my oven before spatchcocking.

I guess you could cut the turkey right in half and do two pans, on different racks . . .

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 12-12-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:48 AM   #48
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
What kind/size of pan are you using? For a chicken, I--and I assume--most people have an oven and pans big enough to accommodate. But a turkey barely fits in my oven before spatchcocking.

I guess you could cut the turkey right in half and do two pans, on different racks . . .

i would assume just a cookie sheet lined with tin foil (that's what it looks like in the link)

i was over at my folks place last week and saw them cooking a chicken like that for the first time. i will be trying it like that the next time we do roast chicken/turkey
Old 06-03-2018, 12:33 AM   #49
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

so i whipped up a little something this past week. for lack of a better name i'll call it bruschetta on flat bread.

i found a bruschetta recipe online that looked good - and it was fantastic....
Bruschetta

*To thinly slice basil leaves, stack the leaves on top of each other and roll up like a cigar. Then make thin slices from one end of the basil cigar to the other.

• 6 or 7 roma tomatoes - diced (about 1 1/2 lbs)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
  • 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
  • 6-8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced* or chopped
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt, more or less to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, more or less to taste

1. In a medium mixing bowl thoroughly mix all ingredients and let sit for at least 15 minutes at room temperature to let the flavors marinate.

IMG_8418 by bc-chris, on Flickr

i grabbed some flatbread from superstore.

topped it with some home made garlic butter (butter/minced garlic/fresh chopped parsley)
throw on the bruscetta and some diced green onion
top with parmesan cheese and some mozza
bake in the oven at 425F for about 8 minutes

IMG_8416 by bc-chris, on Flickr

IMG_8421 by bc-chris, on Flickr

it was sooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!!!
Old 06-03-2018, 12:39 AM   #50
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

another really good recipe from this past week.... cucumber salad (i didn't notice that we already had a bunch of cukes in the fridge and so i picked up more, as a result we needed to eat a bunch of cucumbers this past week!)

Cucumber Salad
Ingredients
Directions
1. Mix cucumbers and shallots together.
2. Mix rest of ingredients together in a closed bowl and give a shake.
3. Add to cucumbers, chill till very cold & serve.

**i didn't have fresh dill so i subbed in dill weed - worked great!

IMG_8420 by bc-chris, on Flickr
Old 06-03-2018, 10:50 PM   #51
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me during the hot days of summer, I like to make a Watermelon Tomato Salad. Pair that with some Ricotta Toast and I'm a happy camper.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...almonds-235588

8 cups 1 1/4-inch chunks seedless watermelon (about 6 pounds)
3 pounds ripe tomatoes (preferably heirloom) in assorted colors, cored, cut into 1 1/4-inch chunks (about 6 cups)
1 teaspoon (or more) fleur de sel or coarse kosher salt
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons chopped assorted fresh herbs (such as dill, basil, and mint)
6 cups fresh arugula leaves or small watercress sprigs
1 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 5 ounces)
1/2 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted

^

I sub in a balsamic reduction instead of a vinaigrette.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #52
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
so i whipped up a little something this past week. for lack of a better name i'll call it bruschetta on flat bread.

i found a bruschetta recipe online that looked good - and it was fantastic....
Bruschetta

*To thinly slice basil leaves, stack the leaves on top of each other and roll up like a cigar. Then make thin slices from one end of the basil cigar to the other.

• 6 or 7 roma tomatoes - diced (about 1 1/2 lbs)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
  • 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
  • 6-8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced* or chopped
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt, more or less to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, more or less to taste

1. In a medium mixing bowl thoroughly mix all ingredients and let sit for at least 15 minutes at room temperature to let the flavors marinate.

IMG_8418 by bc-chris, on Flickr

i grabbed some flatbread from superstore.

topped it with some home made garlic butter (butter/minced garlic/fresh chopped parsley)
throw on the bruscetta and some diced green onion
top with parmesan cheese and some mozza
bake in the oven at 425F for about 8 minutes

IMG_8416 by bc-chris, on Flickr

IMG_8421 by bc-chris, on Flickr

it was sooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!!!
This looks fantastic. Saving this, as I had a craving for it last week!
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #53
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
another really good recipe from this past week.... cucumber salad (i didn't notice that we already had a bunch of cukes in the fridge and so i picked up more, as a result we needed to eat a bunch of cucumbers this past week!)

Cucumber Salad
Ingredients
Directions
1. Mix cucumbers and shallots together.
2. Mix rest of ingredients together in a closed bowl and give a shake.
3. Add to cucumbers, chill till very cold & serve.

**i didn't have fresh dill so i subbed in dill weed - worked great!

IMG_8420 by bc-chris, on Flickr

I find a nice addition to cucumber salads is a little dash of celery seed.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #54
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I find a nice addition to cucumber salads is a little dash of celery seed.

good call!

i'm making this again tonight and will add a little!
Old 08-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #55
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any good hot-wings recipes for a Traeger grill or barbecue?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:34 PM   #56
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

so i made roast beef again this weekend. the first time i did this recipe it was amazing!! i used a beef tenderloin roast... you could cut the sliced roast with your fork!! on saturday i did it with an outside round roast to see if the recipe still held up with a much less expensive cut a meat - and it did. was the meat as tender as the tenderloin roast... nope, but the outside round roast was also about 1/3 the cost!

so here it is (soooooooo good!!!!)

Herbed Rib Roast
Yield - Makes 8 servings

Ingredients
  1. For roast
    • 1 (7- to 8-lb) prime rib roast (sometimes called standing rib roast; 3 or 4 ribs)
    • 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
    • 2 bay leaves (not California)
    • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
    • 3 garlic cloves
    • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  2. For jus
    • 2 cups beef broth
    • 1 small fresh rosemary sprig
    • 1 small fresh thyme sprig
    • 1 garlic clove, smashed
Preparation

1. Prepare roast:
    1. Trim all but a thin layer of fat from roast. Grind peppercorns and bay leaves with salt to a powder in an electric coffee/spice grinder, then transfer to a mortar. Add garlic, thyme, and rosemary, then pound to a smooth paste with pestle. Stir in oil. Rub paste all over roast. Transfer roast to a rack set in a small flameproof roasting pan. Marinate, covered and chilled, at least 8 hours – but no more than 24 hrs.
  2. Cook roast:
    1. Let roast stand at room temperature 1 hour.
    2. Preheat oven to 450°F.
    3. Roast beef in middle of oven 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F and roast beef until a thermometer inserted into center of meat registers 110°F, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours more. Transfer beef to a large platter and let stand, uncovered, 25 minutes. (Meat will continue to cook, reaching about 130°F for medium-rare.)
  3. Make jus:
    1. Skim fat from pan juices. Add broth, rosemary, thyme, and garlic and deglaze pan by simmering on top of stove over moderate heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits. Transfer to a small saucepan and add any juices that have collected on platter. Gently simmer 10 minutes. Skim fat and season jus with salt and pepper.

i prefer gravy over the 'jus'... so i still make the jus, but then thicken it with a simple roux.
i also put some beef stock in the roasting pan when the roast goes in the oven so all the drippings don't burn to the pan - this also makes it easy to just pour out the drippings into the jus mixture.

this really is a simple recipe and is absolutely delicious! i think it's the fresh rosemary and thyme that just take it to another level!
Old 09-10-2018, 11:21 AM   #57
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funky Spaghetti

very easy and surprisingly delicious. Great way to get rid of excess cherry tomatoes.

• 1 pound spaghetti or linguine
  • 11 to 14 ounces cherry tomatoes , red and yellow
  • 2 handfuls of fresh marjoram and basil , leaves picked
  • 6 to 8 glugs extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 clove of garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
  • Splash of red wine vinegar
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Put pasta in large pot of boiling water and cook until al dente. Halve tomatoes, put in bowl and add herbs, olive oil, garlic and vinegar.

Season to taste, then scrunch tomatoes until slightly mushed. Drain pasta, and while still steaming, mix with tomatoes.

Separate onto plates and serve.

Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:21 PM   #58
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

so i had a thought late last week.... i LOVE rice krispies squares (who doesn't?!?). i also LOVE cinnamon toast crunch. hmmmmmm..... googled a couple rice krispies squares recipes for ideas and came up with this....

Cinnamon Toast Crunch Squares

Ingredients
· ½ cup butter
· 70 -80 large marshmallows
· ½ tsp vanilla extract
· A generous ¼ tsp cinnamon
· 6 cups cinnamon toast crunch cereal
· 2 cups mini white marshmallows
· Cinnamon/sugar mixture to taste
Directions
1. Over medium heat melt the butter. Once the butter has melted add the large marshmallows. Mix the marshmallow/butter mixture until the marshmallows have melted.
2. Stir in the vanilla extract and cinnamon
3. Remove from heat and add cereal and mini marshmallows. Thoroughly mix so the cereal and mini marshmallows are well coated
4. Dump into a pan and then press the mixture to compress it as much as possible.
5. Top with a light dusting of cinnamon/sugar mix

Cinnamon Toast Squares1 by bc-chris, on Flickr

Cinnamon Toast Squares2 by bc-chris, on Flickr

these are absolutely ridiculously good!! how had i not thought of this before is past week?
Old 12-17-2018, 05:21 AM   #59
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
...Cinnamon Toast Crunch Squares...
Used to something similar with Golden Grahams, but mix in chocolate chips and make a pan of s'mores.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #60
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Take one can of Ravioli preferably Chef Boyardee
Carefully use can opener to rotate around the can.
Jam fork spoon in and level the lid up hobo style.
Stand over you're sink and eat while staring at the kitchen wall
Hope you're landlords kid see's you doing this through the kitchen window and invites you to his families Christmas dinner

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:

Tags
slaving over a hot stove , tasty treats