Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #2241
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I was assuming that it was you?
I guess they didn't want the New Brighton legend.
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 11:18 AM   #2242
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
I'm a tad surprised with the signing.
Good 'surprised'?
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Old 08-27-2019, 12:43 PM   #2243
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't really see it having a big impact, so no, not really I guess.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #2244
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does this signing currently play in Calgary? (amateur)
Old 08-27-2019, 02:29 PM   #2245
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

It'll be from their PDL team.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #2246
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The person organizing things behind a Saskatoon bid says they're targeting a 2021 launch.

https://northerntribune.ca/canadian-...xpansion-2021/

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #2247
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also I can confirm that the new signing is actually my boot, and it's first order of business is to go up Forge's ass.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #2248
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Just had a very encouraging phone call with the club. Nothing to share yet in terms of procedures or anything like that, as we still have more discussions to come, but it sounds like the club and supporters are on the same page.

We're looking to have things sorted by the next home game on Wednesday. Not sure if I will have time to write up things before then but I will as soon as I can. I know people are curious.
Okay, so the club and myself and another support had lunch to continue the discussions around Wednesday night's situation and how we move forward. Not everything is complete, but we have enough dialogue going into tomorrow night's game.

I had to duck out early to go to a meeting, but here is what we talked about:

1. The most important thing. The club does not have an issue with the supporters group. While there are a few smaller groups (looking at you Foot Clan for ants), the club sees the supporters as one group, which is kind of where the blanket comments from last week came from. A downside in this thing growing so fast is that I don't know everyone in the group by name anymore, and every game there are dozens of new people I've never seen, many who will not be there for the next game.

We did discuss how over time certain people will want to support the club in different ways (eg. ultras groups forming), and that there will need to be a distinction between the groups eventually.

2. The club will be briefing security on what the supporters section is when having their game ops meeting before the game. This is where security is educated on what that section is about.

3. We are going to set up a security liaison, and a supporter liaison, that will work together during game days. The idea is that if security notices something that may need addressing, they can alert the supporters right away. Conversely, if a supporter notices something that security may need addressing, they can alert security right away. Having a specific security person will help build trust between the two.

4. Any issues that occur during a game and need addressing will be done so outside of the game. The situation last week is what we want to avoid, as security makes accusations in the heat of the moment, and people like me respond in the heat of the moment as well.

5. We are still figuring out what to do for smoke. There will be no smoke tomorrow to ensure people are not more confused about it.

Personally, I think we're on the right path, and I don't see any reason to boycott the game tomorrow. I likely will end up missing the game anyway, but it will be unrelated to what happened last week.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 03:31 PM   #2249
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome, thanks for the update Sherm! Sounds like the club, as expected, wanted to work with the supporters and not against them. Your point #2 was, IMO, the most necessary solution.

Also, hopefully the smoke thing gets sorted soon - we need smoke, and we need it now! It adds so much fun to the stadium environment and really makes it feel like a footba... er, soccer, atmosphere.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 05:48 PM   #2250
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1166079245690392576
Old 08-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #2251
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marco Carducci has been called up to the national team for the Nations League game against Cuba. First CPL player to have that honour.

https://canpl.ca/article/cavalrys-ca...canada-call-up

Last edited by shermanator; 08-28-2019 at 09:49 AM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 12:20 PM   #2252
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ And in a related but less exciting note, OneSoccer has acquired the rights for all Concacaf Nations League matches. Not just Canada's matches, but the entire competition. Canada's matches will get pre, mid, and post-game shows, and added content like interviews.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/c...ts-canada-deal

So while you may not tune in to watch French Guyana vs. Grenada on a Thursday night (but you could!), it does show a bit of a commitment to the Canadian national program, and also to the Concacaf competitions.

And I'm still not sure how OneSoccer/MediaPro does it. They are obviously backed by the large Spanish parent company, but I still can't wrap my head around the economics of covering a lot of these "lesser" competitions like CanPL, Concacaf Nations League, etc. that TSN/Sportsnet won't touch. And I say "lesser" not in a derogatory way, but CanPL and Concacaf competitions certainly don't have the number of eyeballs that English Premier League, Champions League, etc. have.

I'm glad that there are doing it - I just hope it is sustainable!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #2253
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cavalry FC just posted on their Instagram that the signing teased yesterday was indeed Tofa Fakunle.

Is he going to be more of a bench/off the bench player? At 24 years old, he isn't a prospect necessarily.
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #2254
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

He’s a player that won’t really make a huge difference, but also won’t be out of place because of his experience in the CIS.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #2255
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

What Tofa does have in spades is athleticism. He can run all day and has a lot of pace. Will be a good option on the wings late in games to run at tired fullbacks. Don't think he really has the technical ability for this level, nor the finishing. He'll also benefit from having played with many of the roster anywhere from 1-5+ years.

I think he will be a depth player for sure, likely there to give Pasquotti and Escalante some rest on the wings.

Nonetheless, good for him.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #2256
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Tofa Fakunle proves hard work pays off. He was cut from Cavalry training camp but embraced the words from the coaching staff and honed his skills with Foothills.

One of the Cavs cuts pouted at not making the team and instead of signing on with Foothills to get more playing time, took his ball and went home.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 07:12 PM   #2257
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is it just me or are there zero crowd microphones for this game?
Old 08-28-2019, 07:23 PM   #2258
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone else having issues watching it online? I can get it on my phone no problem but for some reason can't get it on the onesoccer.ca site.
The Following User Says Thank You to fleuryisgod For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 07:30 PM   #2259
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
Anyone else having issues watching it online? I can get it on my phone no problem but for some reason can't get it on the onesoccer.ca site.
Yes! It just says "join in progress."

When it comes to streaming a league that doesn't have a lot of games, One Soccer sure seems bush league at times.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:27 PM   #2260
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another stinker from Malonga, and there was a ton of service so far and he was not nearly committed enough to finish chances. Capped it off with getting in Pasquotti’s way on a header. Thankfully, Jordan Brown is fit and now in the game for Malonga.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge