Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2020, 07:43 AM   #2281
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

For kids small controllers probably are better for there hand size.

Not sure about the 4 year old but I think Mario party and Mario odyssey would be good. Odyssey you can play as Mario and they can control the hat.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2020, 08:53 AM   #2282
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If you spend the money on the nintendo online membership you can get a lot of older nintendo games from the nes and super nes that the little ones might like as well. My older kids are getting destroyed by their father in Super Dodge Ball and Dr. Mario.
socktape is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to socktape For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #2283
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

If they are close enough to the switch the wired controllers are a good option at a fraction of the price, although kids and wires . . .
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #2284
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Ok CP, I need advice. My kids are getting a switch to share for Christmas. I was able to score the bundle with a digital download of Mario Kart. My kids are 6 and 4 so what games would you suggest? Should I be looking at getting a pro controller for them or will the little ones suffice? Are there any other accessories you guys recommend? What else should I know?

The last nintendo system I owned was an N64, so I am pretty rusty on their ecosystem. Also, I do plan on getting it out of the box and running updates and getting the game installed so Christmas morning isn't a dud.
I keep beating the same drum here, but Rayman Legends is a great game for young kids, and it should be fairly cheap on the Switch
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #2285
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

The controllers for the switch drive me absolutely mental. Man did Nintendo screw up on these.

This thread is +100 pages and somewhere in here was some advice on how to fix these pieces of #### so I’m hoping somebody can help me figure out where I can look or how I can fix the stupid joystick so Mario doesn’t walk forward off cliffs every 2 seconds. So frustrating and I don’t feel like burning $100 on more controllers.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 09:38 AM   #2286
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
The controllers for the switch drive me absolutely mental. Man did Nintendo screw up on these.

This thread is +100 pages and somewhere in here was some advice on how to fix these pieces of #### so I’m hoping somebody can help me figure out where I can look or how I can fix the stupid joystick so Mario doesn’t walk forward off cliffs every 2 seconds. So frustrating and I don’t feel like burning $100 on more controllers.
The drift on stock controllers is a known issue and I'm pretty sure you can get free replacement controllers from Nintendo.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 02:20 PM   #2287
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I just ended up buying some no name wireless pro controllers for 26$ each they work great and also have the gyro in them
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #2288
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Post 2205

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
One thing that worked for me was electrical contact cleaning spray.

Had drift on a couple controllers and didn't want to send them in, and found this tip online: https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/co...t_use_a_spray/

Used it on my joy-cons and it's worked great. No issues with drift yet. Says online that you will probably have to re-spray every once in a while, but so far so good for me.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 08:15 AM   #2289
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

If your kids are into Paw Patrol its a great scroller they can play with no help from a parent.

EDIT : Game itself is not great and you won't want to play it, but great in the sense that my 4yo can play it all by himself
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:30 PM   #2290
sparky69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/ask/ht/789

Fill out the form send them in for free and they will replace them. Just got a new set myself
sparky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparky69 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #2291
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Oh god, this, 1000X this! Good system, but those stupid joycons are a fricking joke. They're the worst wireless controllers I've ever used, by far. The Wiimotes were way better, and those are fricking 10 year old technology. There's absolutely no excuse that Nintendo has not fixed this issue.

I had to buy a wired Hori pad remote just so I could play Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2. And even then, after awhile, I started experiencing drifting on there. It finally ended when I plugged in my old Wii U pro controller, so that I could actually play the game without my camera angles swinging all over the place because one of the joy sticks kept pulling upwards by itself.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #2292
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky69 View Post
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/ask/ht/789

Fill out the form send them in for free and they will replace them. Just got a new set myself
How long did it take from you sending them away and getting a new set? I remember looking into this option once and it said it could be months.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #2293
sparky69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
How long did it take from you sending them away and getting a new set? I remember looking into this option once and it said it could be months.
2 weeks it took
sparky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sparky69 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #2294
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky69 View Post
2 weeks it took
mine took about the same - you just send it to Vancouver
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2020, 12:36 PM   #2295
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Follow up on my last question regarding games. I had some Kohls cash that needed spent and the only real good looking game I could get was Paper Mario. Will that one be good for a 4 or 6 year old or should I wait to spring it on them?
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #2296
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Follow up on my last question regarding games. I had some Kohls cash that needed spent and the only real good looking game I could get was Paper Mario. Will that one be good for a 4 or 6 year old or should I wait to spring it on them?
Haven't played the new one, but all the others have involved a lot of reading since they're RPG-lite games. I doubt it would hold the interest of a 6 year old, let alone a 4 year old
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2020, 01:10 PM   #2297
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

The new Paper Mario has a more tactical battle system, so I don't know if young kids will take up on that very well either.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #2298
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any suggestions for after market Switch Docks? Would love to have one for the bedroom. I know they are simple to move but I'm kind of a cable management junky and don't like unhooking and moving stuff that's neatly tucked away.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2020, 12:50 PM   #2299
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use this one:
https://www.genkithings.com/

I also have one from BB (I thought it was Insignia, but might be Rocketfish - it was an in-store brand), but with the issue of some aftermarket docks bricking switches I'm a bit leery to use it.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...t-buy/14663596
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #2300
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for after market Switch Docks? Would love to have one for the bedroom. I know they are simple to move but I'm kind of a cable management junky and don't like unhooking and moving stuff that's neatly tucked away.
I was looking a couple of years ago but got scared by some of the bricking stories. And then my wife dropped the $100 on a Nintendo one for Christmas for me. I still think that they are overpriced, but we play 90% docked, so it has definitely been worth it after the initial feeling of being conned passed.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but for the extra premium, I have peace of mind that I'd have a valid case with Nintendo if anything was to happen.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post: