Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #3241
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Yeah, so basically they wanted to cut bait from their soccer team and this whole CPL/USL thing gave them a chance to bail and point their fans towards to the CPL?

It was them, they're why you have no more soccer team!
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #3242
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since this is the defacto MLS thread now too... what an absolutely fantastic MLS Cup final!

When you compare it to the CanPL Finals, its absolute night and day. No, I'm not referring to the fact that there's no players in CanPL at the level of Bradley, Lodeiro, Altidore, etc., I'm referring to the following:

1. Quality of Officiating: No clear botched calls, no allowance for excessive play acting, no loss of control of the game, no goals scored off officiating errors. Just let the two sides go at each other and kept tempers from flaring. The official had no influence on the game.

2. Class of the Teams: Sounders kept playing, TFC kept playing... Sounders parked the bus after goal 2, but still played soccer. The lack of cynical play was notable by both teams, and neither team went to curse out the opposing supporters.

3. Quality of Format: Supporters Shield means something, MLS Cup means something. LAFC gets a trophy for being the best in the season (and a CL berth), Sounders get a trophy for winning the playoff (and get a CL berth).

If CanPL wants to be a real Canadian Div 1... that's the bar. We don't expect $30m rosters or 70000 people in the stands any time soon, but the three points above are easily something within the league's control.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #3243
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

The U Sports Draft is on now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEdtrhImRWg
Old 11-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #3244
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Cavalry FC selected Gabriel Bitar, who they selected first overall last year.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #3245
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cavs just selected Mo Al Anduar (sp?) from MRU!
Old 11-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #3246
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
Cavalry FC selected Gabriel Bitar, who they selected first overall last year.

Cavalry have their own academy, and season everyone with Foothills' USL League Two side, so the USports draft doesn't really do much for them. For a depth pick up, they might as well go with the player they're familiar with, one who spent 3 months in their set up. I didn't see enough of Bitar to gain an opinion, but unless there's an opening at forward it will be more of the same.

El Ghandour played for Cavalry U20 in the AMSL last year as well but I know nothing of him.

Weird that they would take two forwards though, given that they have William Akio in their back pocket.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:25 AM   #3247
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I wonder how many U Sports picks crack rosters this year. My guess is it will be less than last year as teams now have established rosters.

What I'm really interested in is how many import players return, both for Cavalry and the league as a whole.
The Following User Says Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #3248
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Anybody have luck with relocating seats? When I look it says zero tickets available in every section.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #3249
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Anybody have luck with relocating seats? When I look it says zero tickets available in every section.
I got the same thing. I was mostly looking out of curiosity, but I was debating relocating as well.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:12 AM   #3250
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I got the same thing. I was mostly looking out of curiosity, but I was debating relocating as well.
Ya I'm happy enough staying where I am, was just looking to see if moving up a row or two was an option.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #3251
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

There seems to be lots of fans on this board. We should have a CP Cavalry supporters meetup sometime, maybe closer to the season?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #3252
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Got my tickets in 200 moved to the front row! I was surprised there was any available
Old 11-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #3253
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post

El Ghandour played for Cavalry U20 in the AMSL last year as well but I know nothing of him.

He dives/simulates A LOT. Prolly shoulda gone to Forge.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #3254
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I'm seeing tons of seats available as options for relocation. Alas, I'm happy where I am.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:43 AM   #3255
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
There seems to be lots of fans on this board. We should have a CP Cavalry supporters meetup sometime, maybe closer to the season?
I'd do that for sure. Pick a time/place and I think a number of us would come out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Got my tickets in 200 moved to the front row! I was surprised there was any available
Which seats? I'm in that row also. (19)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 08:21 AM   #3256
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'd do that for sure. Pick a time/place and I think a number of us would come out!

Which seats? I'm in that row also. (19)
We are just a few down. 6 of us at 28 and up.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #3257
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

https://canpl.ca/article/cavalry-re-...d-and-carducci

Quote:
Looking to keep its core group intact and build on a strong first year in the CPL, Cavalry announced on Wednesday that it has re-signed captain Nik Ledgerwood, defender Mason Trafford, goalkeeper Marco Carducci and attackers Sergio Camargo and Aribim Pepple through the 2020 season.
Sounds good, but following the English Premier League more intensely in recent years has convinced me that contracts are not effective in actually keeping players with a club. Is it likely that that group will actually be here next season, or are some of them likely gone once European transfer windows open in January, for instance?
Old 11-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #3258
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
https://canpl.ca/article/cavalry-re-...d-and-carducci

Sounds good, but following the English Premier League more intensely in recent years has convinced me that contracts are not effective in actually keeping players with a club. Is it likely that that group will actually be here next season, or are some of them likely gone once European transfer windows open in January, for instance?
It’s pretty encouraging news. I thought Camargo and Carducci were gone for sure.

While you’re right that a contract doesn’t mean we’ll see them on the pitch come April, it does mean that if they are sold, it’ll be for pretty significant cash.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #3259
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I like that they re-signed, but these are insurance contracts. I think we may see some changes, especially when the pre-season window for MLS starts February 7 and mid-season for the English leagues in January. The Whitecaps have made comments in the past that they like the talent they see in the CPL and that they were rumored to be interested in Camargo and Pasquotti.

That said, I think the transfer market has a ton of players available for leagues like the CPL that I don't think it would be hard to find replacements if needed. Leagues like the CPL are stepping stone leagues for guys looking to reach the next level, or are coming into the twilight of their careers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #3260
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

With teams announcing signings already, can anyone clarify what the rules are for international players? I recall that there was some speculation that the CanPL would be further limiting the international quota.

While I fully support the idea of developing Canadian players, having some international players brings some different styles and perspectives, and let's be honest, bring a little flair and flavour to the league.

Just wondering if anything came of those rumours of limiting the international players. It would be difficult for teams to start planning for next year if that rule is being made up on the fly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge