Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #21
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The time zone for this RWC sucks. I've watched some, but it's tough.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:44 AM   #22
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The time zone for this RWC sucks. I've watched some, but it's tough.
Agreed, trying to get together with people to watch games takes a lot of effort and co-ordination.

To that end some buddies are going to tape and watch Wales v Aus, should be a good match.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:39 AM   #23
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada vs Italy starts in just over an hour. The Italians are 20 point favourites. Canada lost to Italy 23-18 at the 2015 Cup in a game that was very exciting but also a big lost opportunity.

Go Canada! Maybe there is another upset on the cards tonight. Italy played on Sunday while the Canadians are fresh.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:48 AM   #24
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope no one in Canada lost sleep to watch this one.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:56 AM   #25
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Canada actually played better than I thought they would. Still error ridden and an example of a completely gutted program that hasn't taken a forward step in ages, but still some glimpses of good rugby that hasn't been seen in a while. But going from a game that should have been won four years ago (some costly errors aside, I'll blame the reffing) to a convincing bonus point loss that could have been worse is a testament to how Canada has regressed rather than Italy's improvement, unfortunately.

As for this England/USA game, I absolutely hate that England's alternate kit is red and blue and the US is in almost all white. It's messing with my mind this early.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:21 AM   #26
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Canada actually played better than I thought they would. Still error ridden and an example of a completely gutted program that hasn't taken a forward step in ages, but still some glimpses of good rugby that hasn't been seen in a while. But going from a game that should have been won four years ago (some costly errors aside, I'll blame the reffing) to a convincing bonus point loss that could have been worse is a testament to how Canada has regressed rather than Italy's improvement, unfortunately.

As for this England/USA game, I absolutely hate that England's alternate kit is red and blue and the US is in almost all white. It's messing with my mind this early.
Canada was way better than Italy years ago. The difference was when Italy entered the six nations though. Sure, they got destroyed for a while, but over time they've improved. Canada on the other hand has faced a steady decline. I think there are a lot of factors. We (people who are players or pay for players) pay a whack of cash to Rugby Canada each year and that money seemingly goes to build a fancy facility in BC or tour our sevens players around the world. Our men's 15's players seem to largely play for low division clubs around the world and come to the national team in not game ready shape. It must be incredibly frustrating to be Tyler Ardron: the first Canadian to play Super Rugby and come back home to play with this team!

I think Canada needs a serious conversation about how they approach the game though and a changing of the guard. Some of these players have been there an awfully long time and it's a little bizarre that there is apparently no new blood to come in. Oh well, easy game against New Zealand up next!
Old 09-26-2019, 06:26 AM   #27
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that was a shoulder charge! If Reece Hodge gets 3 weeks that has to be 6.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:39 AM   #28
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Canada was way better than Italy years ago. The difference was when Italy entered the six nations though. Sure, they got destroyed for a while, but over time they've improved. Canada on the other hand has faced a steady decline. I think there are a lot of factors. We (people who are players or pay for players) pay a whack of cash to Rugby Canada each year and that money seemingly goes to build a fancy facility in BC or tour our sevens players around the world. Our men's 15's players seem to largely play for low division clubs around the world and come to the national team in not game ready shape. It must be incredibly frustrating to be Tyler Ardron: the first Canadian to play Super Rugby and come back home to play with this team!

I think Canada needs a serious conversation about how they approach the game though and a changing of the guard. Some of these players have been there an awfully long time and it's a little bizarre that there is apparently no new blood to come in. Oh well, easy game against New Zealand up next!

Jebb Sinclair

Quote:
Old 09-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #29
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Jebb Sinclair
Right, maybe the second? Regardless...must suck to come back to play for your country and know that the team would get walked over in the league you play in regularly.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #30
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Now that was a shoulder charge! If Reece Hodge gets 3 weeks that has to be 6.
Six games. Cut down to three. Because he says he didn't know the rules and has a history of being a good boy coupled with being nice at the hearing.

Gotta wonder why they have these tariffs.

Quote:
The committee applied World Rugby’s mandatory mid-range entry point, which was introduced in 2017 to mitigate the risk of head injuries, which according to World Rugby’s sanctions table, carries a minimum six-match suspension.

Having acknowledged Hodge’s exemplary disciplinary record, good character and conduct at the hearing, the committee reduced the six-match entry point by three matches, resulting in a sanction of three matches.

Last edited by Bagor; 09-26-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:56 PM   #31
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

World Rugby discipline is a joke right now. We have game officials making no penalty call or giving yellow cards for accidental contact to the head during tackles while you have the discipline panel saying these should have been red cards and warrant a 6 game suspension but it will actually be a 3 game suspension for good past behaviour. It makes no sense! Also they then go and throw all the refs under the bus stating how poor the first week officiating was. It didn't seem that bad to me.

Hopefully there is some clarification on the head contact rules after the Cup. I don't think the zero tolerance automatic 6 game suspension is appropriate in a sport as physical as rugby. The situation and intent need to be taken into account too.

Edit: Now England's Piers Francis is facing a suspension for his tackle on the opening kickoff. This looked like an absolutely brilliant rugby play at the time and no call was made on the field. I don't know what to think anymore.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 09-26-2019 at 06:38 PM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:34 AM   #32
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
World Rugby discipline is a joke right now. We have game officials making no penalty call or giving yellow cards for accidental contact to the head during tackles while you have the discipline panel saying these should have been red cards and warrant a 6 game suspension but it will actually be a 3 game suspension for good past behaviour. It makes no sense! Also they then go and throw all the refs under the bus stating how poor the first week officiating was. It didn't seem that bad to me.

Hopefully there is some clarification on the head contact rules after the Cup. I don't think the zero tolerance automatic 6 game suspension is appropriate in a sport as physical as rugby. The situation and intent need to be taken into account too.

Edit: Now England's Piers Francis is facing a suspension for his tackle on the opening kickoff. This looked like an absolutely brilliant rugby play at the time and no call was made on the field. I don't know what to think anymore.

It is very obvious from this picture that WR cares more about tackle height than attempt to wrap.

The game is different now, some ways better and some ways not.

Quote:
Old 09-28-2019, 03:13 AM   #33
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Japan! The Shizuoka shocker!
Old 09-28-2019, 03:43 AM   #34
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ireland have an incredible track record of peaking in non World Cup years.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 04:19 AM   #35
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aka choking in WC years.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:08 AM   #36
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

A brilliantly played game ruined by horrible officiating. Starting to become a pattern.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #37
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A brilliantly played game ruined by horrible officiating. Starting to become a pattern.
The Law interpretation and application has been poor all World Cup, IMO.

I have really noticed that the ruck is just a straight up mess with bodies all over the floor. In the Wales v Aus game i lost count of the number of rucks that nobody on their feet. I'd love to see them bring back rucking, I think the game would speed up.

Quote:
Old 10-01-2019, 09:10 PM   #38
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just in case anyone has insomnia tonight, Canada plays New Zealand at 4:15am. It could well be 80-0 or something crazy, but probably some really nice plays from the All Blacks en route!
Old 10-02-2019, 09:50 AM   #39
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, suffice it say that thats not gone well?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #40
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So, suffice it say that thats not gone well?
Well it was only 63-0, so I was a little pessimistic!