Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-24-2020, 09:48 PM   #21
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

This might hurt our chances at signing Hall if they just want to throw a ton of money at Hall then.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:55 PM   #22
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
This might hurt our chances at signing Hall if they just want to throw a ton of money at Hall then.
Yeah, from the outside it would seem that with the CEO dude meeting with Hall's camp, he is maybe choked that they gave up so many assets to get Hall but might not get him signed to an extension. Maybe Chayka is thinking "well you win some, you lose some, not going to over pay to keep him" and the CEO dude is not having it.

..or maybe not....

I dunno..
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:56 PM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They're in a bad cap position to do that with 17 players signed and 1.5 million left. Unless they trade a Kessell or OEL type of contract, that can't. And with the cap probably staying the same or going down, I don't see a lot of teams looking at bringing in big salaries.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:03 PM   #24
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, it was an odd choice to take him from the start. I agree statistics is the way to go, but I understand dealing with agents is a like dealing with wolves - they'll go around you, go to ownership connections, and will lobby to have you fired. So managing those relationships in the old boys club was probably not going to work from the start. But even if we're looking at analytics, his drafting hasn't been that good, so what was this guy's advantage in the real world? It was definitely a cool thing to see Arizona take the leap of faith, and they did give him enough time IMO, but he should've produced a team better than this after all this time. If they're doing this before the draft and FA season, it could very well be that ownership wasn't happy with his draft strategy or who they're aiming to sign, and they wanted a change before either came to fruition.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:04 PM   #25
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
They're in a bad cap position to do that with 17 players signed and 1.5 million left. Unless they trade a Kessell or OEL type of contract, that can't. And with the cap probably staying the same or going down, I don't see a lot of teams looking at bringing in big salaries.
They can easily trade Raanta I would think, and that would clear $4.5 million minus his replacement, so about $3.5 million. They also don't have any big RFAs to sign, so I imagine they'd just trade Hammer or Gologoski and they'd be pretty much set. Always a market for veteran top 4 Dman.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:08 PM   #26
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
They can easily trade Raanta I would think, and that would clear $4.5 million minus his replacement, so about $3.5 million. They also don't have any big RFAs to sign, so I imagine they'd just trade Hammer or Gologoski and they'd be pretty much set. Always a market for veteran top 4 Dman.
They’d be able to make it work, but I think it would have to be a large over payment to keep him there, unless the yotes go on a run.

I think if we make it to the second round and have a good showing Hall will want to sign with us.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:09 PM   #27
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't know the guy but him and Dubas really don't have a clue. And after neither of them have achieved a whole bunch, one with an unlimited budget and one with apparently a top cap budget, people will still come defend their ideas about managing teams with analytics leading the charge. Give me a Lou or Rutherford any day as they always seem to build winning teams and have the analytics guys providing some info to them but not driving them.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:26 PM   #28
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Quote:

Also they will have 5.275 in LTIR room with Hossa.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:29 PM   #29
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah Arizona has Adin Hill coming up who will make Raanta's departure easier to swallow. Raanta has definitely become a bit redundant.

That Raanta and Stepan for 7th overall and DeAngelo trade doesn't look so good now, although the Rangers did totally whiff on that pick.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:41 PM   #30
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

Maybe. I would be hesitant if I was him signing with Coyotes. Does he want to play in front of 7000 fans? If they get a new building in a better area , how many years into his contract will he be in? 5th or 6th? Hell the team has a chance of relocating to a city he has no desire to live in. I haven’t mentioned the problems with the on ice product.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:46 PM   #31
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will be totally shocked if Hall re-signs in Arizona.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2020, 11:43 PM   #32
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

In what way is it not well built? He vastly improved their goaltending, the defense is decent, and the offense, which traditionally had issues with finishing skill, added Kessel and Hall this year. Neither of whom have had particularly good seasons, but the theory was sound when they were acquired. I'd say the same for Nick Schmaltz. Meanwhile, at the draft, he took a risk on Barrett Hayton and based on how Hayton's junior career finished that decision ended up being right.

The Coyotes are a much more solid team than when Chayka got there. I can't think of a single trade or signing he's made that I thought was a bad idea. I may be forgetting something, but generally, at the time his decisions have been made, they've seemed sound.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2020, 11:45 PM   #33
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

^ I agree with this, although as I said above the Stepan trade looks like a bit of a miss now. I think I'd give him a bit more of a leash but I can understand a new owner/CEO wanting to bring in a new guy.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:50 PM   #34
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Except that they got Raanta in that trade, who has supplied two seasons of .930 and .921 goaltending for them. And even if you don't like the Stepan inclusion with the benefit of hindsight, at the time, it seemed like a totally reasonable acquisition.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-24-2020, 11:55 PM   #35
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah but like all backups, there were concerns about whether Raanta could handle a starter's workload, and those concerns have proven true as he's played only 92 games in three seasons.

If I'm trading a top-10 pick and a recent first-rounder, pieces like Raanta and Stepan aren't really what I'm looking for. But maybe that's a bit revisionist.

Otherwise... Schmaltz is great, Kessel should be better than he is, Hall is great, the Keller and Chychrun picks were both good, Garland has developed well.

For years, Arizona was being run like a formality. Chayka has run it like an organization.

Old 07-25-2020, 12:28 AM   #36
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wasn't so much that he couldn't handle it (the .930 in 47 games, which is a starter's workload, indicates that he could), but rather that he got hurt. It's still a lot of quality starts even so.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:42 AM   #37
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raanta gets hurt a lot it seems though, which implies he can’t handle a starters workload. A starter that can’t be relied upon to play a full season and playoffs isn’t really a starter.
But I like him and he was a guy I really wanted us to go after. So I get the trade for the Coyotes.

They seem like a reasonably well built team so I do wonder what is going on there. Hard to believe the desire to sign Hall is causing a split unless Chayka wasn’t keen on the trade in the first place.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 05:36 AM   #38
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
In what way is it not well built? He vastly improved their goaltending, the defense is decent, and the offense, which traditionally had issues with finishing skill, added Kessel and Hall this year. Neither of whom have had particularly good seasons, but the theory was sound when they were acquired. I'd say the same for Nick Schmaltz. Meanwhile, at the draft, he took a risk on Barrett Hayton and based on how Hayton's junior career finished that decision ended up being right.

The Coyotes are a much more solid team than when Chayka got there. I can't think of a single trade or signing he's made that I thought was a bad idea. I may be forgetting something, but generally, at the time his decisions have been made, they've seemed sound.
Seriously, this guy gets hired elsewhere immediately.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:01 AM   #39
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
I don't know the guy but him and Dubas really don't have a clue. And after neither of them have achieved a whole bunch, one with an unlimited budget and one with apparently a top cap budget, people will still come defend their ideas about managing teams with analytics leading the charge. Give me a Lou or Rutherford any day as they always seem to build winning teams and have the analytics guys providing some info to them but not driving them.

Couldn't disagree more. It's not to say Dubas has been perfect, because obviously the contracts handed out were a little more than what other GMs would have caved to, but his moves have generally been solid. They've drafted really well, and got a 1A goaltender for a song. He's trying the run and gun style which is a little untested, but the team is on pretty good footing. Again, the Leafs aren't a great team, but they're on solid footing.

If I'm looking critically at Lou, look at his years post Brodeur. He was atrocious right before leaving NJ and joining Toronto. Everyone is debatable over the course of their careers.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:38 AM   #40
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I will be totally shocked if Hall re-signs in Arizona.
I agree. I believe he would have already signed if he had any thinking of staying there.