Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-25-2020, 10:09 PM   #7981
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
I agree with that, so then you’re looking at moving out Backlund and his 5.5, not going to be the easiest task either. I personally don’t think Cirelli, as good as he is does anything to address a current need.
I wouldn't move Backlund. I'd move Ryan and probably sell high on Bennett if possible, because otherwise he'd be either back on the wing or stuck as the 4th line C.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:10 PM   #7982
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe it’s a #1 C that can drive play. Hell we don’t have one player that can drive play but did see a twinkling of Dube in playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I'm sorry, but how is a guy in the 12-17 range of most statistical categories for centers not a #1C?

31 teams, 31 #1 centers.

Monahan is a #1 center. He may not be a McDavid or Eichel, but he is still a middle of the pack #1 and if he were ever the #2 on a team, it would be a pretty ####ing elite team down the middle. Even this past season which was awful for Monahan's standards saw him finishing the in the top 31.

This constant stupidity by our fans surrounding Monahan is absolutely ridiculous.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:12 PM   #7983
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Cirelli is damn good, too. Calling him a 3C is ridiculous.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 10:13 PM   #7984
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
Maybe it’s a #1 C that can drive play. Hell we don’t have one player that can drive play but did see a twinkling of Dube in playoffs.
Just because Gaudreau drives play on that line doesn't mean Monahan can't, it just means just that Gaudreau is the preferred option for them.

And we don't have a single player that can drive play? Are you serious?
Old 09-25-2020, 10:15 PM   #7985
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Cirelli is damn good, too. Calling him a 3C is ridiculous.
About as ridiculous and calling Monahan a #2C and Backlund a #3C. Our fanbase notoriously underrates most of our players.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:17 PM   #7986
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sorry, but how is a guy in the 12-17 range of most statistical categories for centers not a #1C?

31 teams, 31 #1 centers.

Monahan is a #1 center. He may not be a McDavid or Eichel, but he is still a middle of the pack #1 and if he were ever the #2 on a team, it would be a pretty ####ing elite team down the middle. Even this past season which was awful for Monahan's standards saw him finishing the in the top 31.

This constant stupidity by our fans surrounding Monahan is absolutely ridiculous.
Don’t confuse catering the top line with being a number one center. That’s the same as calling Drasaitl or Matthews a number 2 center... 75th in league scoring and -16 does not equate to number 1 center numbers
Old 09-25-2020, 10:24 PM   #7987
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
About as ridiculous and calling Monahan a #2C and Backlund a #3C. Our fanbase notoriously underrates most of our players.
Rating players based on their performances and comparables around the league is more what I base judgement on. If you’re content with Monahan and Backlund as the 1/2 punch, be content with finishing 15th and losing in the first round.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:25 PM   #7988
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Don’t confuse catering the top line with being a number one center. That’s the same as calling Drasaitl or Matthews a number 2 center... 75th in league scoring and -16 does not equate to number 1 center numbers
So let me get this straight.

31 teams, 93 first line players.

In a bad year Monahan finishes 75th in scoring among all players, 68th among forwards but isn't a first liner because of +/-?

How can one be so daft?
Old 09-25-2020, 10:26 PM   #7989
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Rating players based on their performances and comparables around the league is more what I base judgement on.
Yeah, well you are flat out wrong. Your opinions are....... and I am putting this nicely...... straight up garbage.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:27 PM   #7990
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Tampa will move heaven and earth to keep Cirelli. As they should.
Targeting barzal gives us the backup of snagging pulock.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 10:30 PM   #7991
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Just because Gaudreau drives play on that line doesn't mean Monahan can't, it just means just that Gaudreau is the preferred option for them.

And we don't have a single player that can drive play? Are you serious?
You think Monahan on his own will all of a sudden drive a line? Wouldn't count on it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 10:32 PM   #7992
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So let me get this straight.

31 teams, 93 first line players.

In a bad year Monahan finishes 75th in scoring among all players, 68th among forwards but isn't a first liner because of +/-?

How can one be so daft?
Well you see, not all teams are built equally. There are really good teams that have multiple players score more points then average, and some of the teams are really poor and their players tend to not be as “good” compared to the better teams. If you are okay with average players you will must be okay with average results. On a cup contender, Monohan would be a good #2 center.

Another way to think of it. Put every center in the league in a fantasy draft. Where is Monahan picked?

It’s funny because you make it seem like I’m dumping on Monohan. Saying he is not suited for the role he has is not the same as dumping on him. He is very useful and has a good contract for what he offers, but his skill set and style of play are not carrying the top line of a cup contender.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 09-25-2020 at 10:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 10:35 PM   #7993
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
You think Monahan on his own will all of a sudden drive a line? Wouldn't count on it.
My point is we don't know because he's never been asked to. Claiming he is incapable of doing something never required of him is a pretty terrible take.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:39 PM   #7994
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Well you see, not all teams are built equally. There are really good teams that have multiple players score more points then average, and some of the teams are really poor and their players tend to not be as “good” compared to the better teams. If you are okay with average players you will must be okay with average results. On a cup contender, Monohan would be a good #2 center.
I never said every team has a #1 center, I said there are 31, some teams have multiples, some have none.

Monahan is in the same class of centers as Seguin, and look where he is right now despite being underwhelming in the post-season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 10:51 PM   #7995
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
My point is we don't know because he's never been asked to. Claiming he is incapable of doing something never required of him is a pretty terrible take.
I think if he could we would have seen it by now. Anything is possible I suppose but I think the body of evidence doesn't scream high probability.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 10:51 PM   #7996
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I never said every team has a #1 center, I said there are 31, some teams have multiples, some have none.

Monahan is in the same class of centers as Seguin, and look where he is right now despite being underwhelming in the post-season.
Pardon my confusion, you can see where it comes from though. You saying there’s 31 number 1 centres and there actually being 31 teams in the NHL.

Well you can put those two in the same class if you want. That doesn’t change the reality of Monohan not being a #1 center. Again not that that’s a dig on him, his contract doesn’t reflect #1 center salary, neither do his stats or style of play.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 09-25-2020 at 10:59 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 10:59 PM   #7997
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Pardon my confusion, you can see where it comes from though. You saying there’s 31 number 1 centres and there actually being 31 teams in the NHL.
Yeah, from reading your posts it's very easy to see you are "confused"
Old 09-25-2020, 11:05 PM   #7998
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

31 teams, 31 #1 centers.

Quote:

I see.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 09-25-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:22 PM   #7999
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I think Tampa will move heaven and earth to keep Cirelli. As they should.
Targeting barzal gives us the backup of snagging pulock.
So if they do they lose Sergachev to our RFA offer first then.

Either way they wont be able to make moves to keep both at a non bridge contract. If they match the first they will be ####ed my the second non bridge deal. So pick which one to target and what they are worth to you.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:24 PM   #8000
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If he’s waiting to be “asked” therein lies the problem. Claiming he’s a number one center, just waiting to be “asked” to drive the top line is quite laughable.
Closed Thread