Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #461
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You mean the factory in Germany that environmentalists are protesting? Did they do the due diligence there? I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying the idea that it is harm free is false, and it may lead to some issues. It's like suggesting the oilsands are benefiting the Earth because the oil companies are cleaning the sand of dirty oil before putting it back. Companies say funny ####. That was my only point nit he comment. Man, you really have trouble with reading comprehension, don't you?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN1ZH0KM

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...854270096.html
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:53 AM   #462
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was just thinking of a few use cases where utility scale grid batteries make a lot of sense. With tidal power, you have a predictable down time between tides, so it would make a lot of sense to use batteries to cover those few hours in between. That, of course depends on tidal proving itself.

Another one is diesel electric freight trains. You could have a car behind the engine, and use regenerative braking and generation on downhills to charge it. Thoguh it would probably be complicated to add generators to all the cars, maybe it is worth it still to just run it on the engines, or have a few stubby power cars down the train that handle regenerative braking and extra drive?
Old 09-25-2020, 08:27 AM   #463
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

66% of all rail traffic is already electric.

It has seen massive growth, obviously because like you said it wasn't really hard to add a car full of batteries, or something like the C-train that was always 'hooked up.'

The biggest growth in grid batteries will be as a supplement to already existing renewable energy sources where those sources can't properly tie into the grid because of the variance and unpredictability in generation. One thing we are already seeing is natural gas peaker plants being replaced by battery storage because it is cheaper and far more efficient.

The other thing is, even if battery storage is amazing and works really well, there simply isn't enough production capacity available right now, and that will be a painful part of the growth.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:31 AM   #464
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was referring to Canada and US freight trains.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:36 AM   #465
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I believe that transition is already happening.

It also helps that rail traffic is booming in general, and that there is more demand than capacity and probably will be for the foreseeable future.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:45 PM   #466
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tesla Q3 numbers are in strong quarter will get very close to 500,000 cars this year.

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:16 PM   #467
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #468
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Wall Street was expecting revenue of about $8.2 billion for the quarter and a gain of $0.55 per share.

Tesla managed to destroy expectations with $8.7 billion in revenue and a gain of $0.76 per share (Non-GAAP).

“The third quarter of 2020 was a record quarter on many levels. Over the past four quarters, we generated over $1.9B of free cash flow while spending $2.4B on new production capacity, service centers, Supercharging locations and other capital investments. While we took additional SBC expense in Q3, our GAAP operating margin reached 9.2%”

“For the trailing 12 months, we achieved an operating margin of 6.3%. We expect our operating margin will continue to grow over time, ultimately reaching industry-leading levels with capacity expansion and localization plans underway.”

Also $327 million in revenue from regulatory credits, a number that is expected to keep growing.

The automaker ended the quarter with a new record of $14.5 billion cash position in the bank.
https://electrek.co/2020/10/21/tesla...-2020-results/
Old 10-24-2020, 07:46 AM   #469
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Tesla newly revamped FSD in action.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1319725499459850240

Ugh, still can't embed a tweet.

Last edited by Azure; 10-24-2020 at 07:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 07:49 AM   #470
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

EDIT: Article seems false.

Quote:
And now, amidst the release of Tesla’s limited Full Self-Driving beta and the rollout of Waymo’s truly driverless ride-sharing service in Phoenix, Arizona, Mercedes-Benz has announced that it is throwing in the towel. Speaking with local media, a Mercedes-Benz spokesman noted that the company will no longer be competing in a race that it would lose. “We don’t compete in any race that we can no longer win,” the spokesman said.

The announcement was quite surprising, considering that the automaker has presented a pilot project in Stuttgart Airport that involved an S-Class searching for a parking space independent of its driver. It was an impressive demo, featuring maneuvers that seemed far above that of mass-release features like Tesla’s Smart Summon. As noted by the spokesman, however, Mercedes-Benz will be focusing on its finances for now.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-fsd-...sion=true&s=03

Last edited by Azure; 10-27-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:35 AM   #471
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This was also posted on the link that you indicated:

"Update: Head of Digital Transformation at Daimler AG Sascha Pallenberg has noted on Twitter that the report from RedaktionsNetzwerk Deutschland (RND) is false, and that Mercedes-Benz’s autonomous program is still ongoing. A quote previously misattributed to the Mercedes-Benz head has also been corrected."
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:37 AM   #472
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Weird. I updated my post.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #473
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting summary of a Reddit thread on FSD, and Tesla's liability:

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-owners-ta...ull-1846553907

People have been paying $10k for FSD when it becomes available. How many years after paying for it is it fair to say you got screwed? 5? 10? Tesla runs on a lot of good will, but if some owners decide to class action this, it could be a big liability for Tesla.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:39 PM   #474
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

For all Calgarians, the Federal rebate on electric vehicles (Alberta doesn't have one) only applies to the base RWD 2 motor Model 3.

Is AWD/4 motor essential for Albertan winters?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:45 AM   #475
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
For all Calgarians, the Federal rebate on electric vehicles (Alberta doesn't have one) only applies to the base RWD 2 motor Model 3.

Though ideal... no, but winter tires are. Driving wasn't great after that initial dump a couple months ago though as the car is so low to the ground.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:30 PM   #476
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

For the coldest few weeks in Toronto, I had to go to a supercharger in the middle of the work week because my regular outlet wasn't enough to recover the energy use during the day. The range is halved during the coldest days.

This won't be an issue when I Install a charger at home this year.

If it's -10 or lower and you want to drive to Edmonton, you will need to charge for 15 minutes or so in red deer.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:32 AM   #477
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, having a charger is home is a must have imo. In the winter, being able to warm the car while plugged in makes a big difference. Warming the car, warms the battery, so when you go out in the cold, the car's range won't be hit as hard.

Last edited by bossy22; 03-30-2021 at 11:37 AM.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 12:30 PM   #478
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post
For the coldest few weeks in Toronto, I had to go to a supercharger in the middle of the work week because my regular outlet wasn't enough to recover the energy use during the day. The range is halved during the coldest days.

This won't be an issue when I Install a charger at home this year.

If it's -10 or lower and you want to drive to Edmonton, you will need to charge for 15 minutes or so in red deer.
Was this for regular range or extended range models?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:07 PM   #479
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Was this for regular range or extended range models?
I have a model 3 standard range+. It qualified for the rebate.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 01:21 PM   #480
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Went back and read this thread from the beginning. Good discussion outside of a few haters only here to hate. The take-away for me is Elon thinks long term and never accepts "can't do that". If he bought into even 10% of the negativity shown here nothing would ever be accomplished.

Right now Tesla is only at the beginning of their growth curve. I feel sorry but totally don't feel sorry for the Gordon Johnson's out there. Whatever you do don't take his investing advice. Ironically he nailed the Q1 2021 delivery estimates which in actual is 184,800 he said ~184,000. But he did this so he could say later, Tesla missed expectations.

Tesla will very likely be close to 1 million vehicles this year, 2022 double. For whatever reason Tesla's self driving tech is not talked about much but this is likely going to be bigger than vehicle sales themselves. Tesla is solving self driving using only vision, this is much much harder but the proper way to do it long term. Going with "on the rails" systems seems better and maybe is on known routes, but it has very limited ability to adapt, learn and get better.

This is not investment advice do your own research.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote