Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2021, 03:39 AM   #81
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

This should be a good move for the Canucks and for Hamonic. The Canucks address their awful defensive depth and Hamonic gets to make some money while playing for a contract next year. I don’t think that pairing him with Hughes is a bad idea as Hughes tends to be more of a rover anyway who tends to rush the puck making him more susceptible to greatness and #### ups alike
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 03:52 AM   #82
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
You mean the Myers who had a broken leg, and those surgeries to his knees and hips? My money is on Tanev to win that footrace....

Well, got bad news for you then. You'd lose money.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:13 AM   #83
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm13 View Post
I doubt anyone chirps him for sitting out for family reasons.
So why is he playing now?, it was safer in the bubble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The contract would largely suggest this is about the money wouldn't it? He doesn't need 1.25M.

But grind that gear man. griiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnd it!
It's not about grinding gears. whether anyone wants to admit it or not the optics are strong, he looks like a hypocrite now.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:20 AM   #84
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
"Hey Textcritic, what's 2+2?"

"Canucks miss the play-offs!"

I know the song is a favourite around here, but try playing a new one!
Why play a new one? That one is a hit every year, a classic that never gets old. I expect it tops the charts this season.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:28 AM   #85
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a low risk signing for the Canucks. If Hamonic plays like he did last season for the Flames they can place him on their bottom pairing and move on next season. If he has a career resurgence on a different team it's a bonus. Flames fans need to hope that Tanev is solid for 2-3 seasons or the signing is a disaster. As much as I don't think Hamonic is very good I think Hamonic for one year > Tanev for four years.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:46 AM   #86
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
So why is he playing now?, it was safer in the bubble!
Because he needs to earn a living? No one got paid in the bubble.

Quote:
It's not about grinding gears. whether anyone wants to admit it or not the optics are strong, he looks like a hypocrite now.
It is beyond stupid to hold THIS against anyone, and the "optics" are whatever you choose to make them. It is ridiculous to set such lofty principles on the virtues of playing a game, and takes a pretty small person to hold someone to these imaginary ideals.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 08:03 AM   #87
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Again, except in the playoffs.

In the 3 series against Minnesota, St Louis, and Vegas the D combinations involving Hughes at 5 on 5 were:

Hughes/Tanev +4
Hughes/Stetcher even
Hughes/Myers -2
Hughes/Edler -2
Now do Tanev.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:13 AM   #88
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I honestly do not even dislike the Canucks anymore. Huge fan of Pettersen, Hughes and Horvat.

But if you think Myers is anything but one of the worst defensemen in the league, and possible one of the worst contracts in the league, you got them homer glasses on.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:18 AM   #89
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I honestly do not even dislike the Canucks anymore. Huge fan of Pettersen, Hughes and Horvat.

But if you think Myers is anything but one of the worst defensemen in the league, and possible one of the worst contracts in the league, you got them homer glasses on.
The Athletic listed his contract as one of the worst in the league. It's a bad contract but I don't think he's one of the worst defenseman in the league. He's just really overpaid.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:20 AM   #90
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Will be really interesting to compare Hamonic with Hughes and Tanev with Hanifin this year. Basically a direct swap. Here's hoping Tanev can allow Hanifin to play his game better.

Also, really grossed out by the comments about Hamonic opting out. Childish, immature, and small comments from some.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 08:27 AM   #91
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Athletic listed his contract as one of the worst in the league. It's a bad contract but I don't think he's one of the worst defenseman in the league. He's just really overpaid.
I hope they included Jeff Skinner on that list.

He had just 23 points in 60 games last year and was a cool -22, keeping in line with his career average on that stat. I just saw last night that he's now playing on the 4th line to start the year. $9 million/year for another 7 years. Holy #### that's a bad contract.

Somehow we all knew it when he signed. Every knew except Botterill that is. It's amazing that guy found another job.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:30 AM   #92
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wonder what the Canucks are thinking?

They are carrying 8 d-men plus 2 on the taxi squad.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:32 AM   #93
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

People tend to overlook that Hamonic was the #3 D in TOI in 2018-19 ... That was when he had his face broken by stepping up to defend 20 year old Dillon Dube at the start of the season.

That was the best Flames regular season team this century.

He was an undisputed top-4 on a team that was top 3 in the league.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:34 AM   #94
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcrosser View Post
Hockey is literally their lives. They make money from it. You think they do it to appease you?

He put his family ahead before, so why not now? I think that's the point of the OP.

If your job is literally your life, it means either:

a)I feel for you as your barley surviving to put food on your table to the point where your job is more important than every other family need, because without it, the family needs won't be met at all. Despite the Canadian social safety net, this does occur, and it sucks. But this is not the situation for this NHL player, so its not relevant

b) You have tied too much importance to your job and forgot about your other life aspects. That is my view, but you may feel your job is that important, it is your life, and your entire identity is tied to it, and you are not ashamed by that.

As for why now? Because things change?

His employer changed his original contract (i.e. bubble life) and stated therefore he has a right to pause his employment (or leave before his original end clause with the Flames). He choose at that time to take that card - how in the world would you condemn anyone for that? As YOU stated he doesn't work to appease me, he works for himself. Your employer has a contract with you that doesn't require you to live in a bubble away from your family and then changes it, you have zero guilt for not agreeing to it. His employer has since said he could come back (sorta, new contract with a new team but just for simplicity, taking the NHL as one entity)- he is coming back because he has determined its his best interest to work again in the NHL

Don't break an elbow when you fall of that horse.

Last edited by Mull; 01-13-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:46 AM   #95
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Now do Tanev.
I did:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Interestingly in the 3 series against Minnesota, St Louis, and Vegas the D combinations involving Hughes were overall:

Hughes/Tanev +4
Hughes/Stetcher even
Hughes/Myers -2
Hughes/Edler -2

And Tanev's combinations:
Tanev/Hughes +4
Tanev/Fantenberg even
Tanev/Edler -2
So yes, as I was saying the Hughes/Tanev was the best combination for both players. And both seemed to suffer with Edler.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:57 AM   #96
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Seems like to only a small group of people. Most don't have an issue with the man making decisions based on what he thinks is right for his family.
Would suggest those that feel differently perhaps take sports far too seriously.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 08:59 AM   #97
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post

That defensemen are going to be injured/ill at a high rate this year and that having a larger number would be beneficial. If a forward goes down it is easier to plug someone into an off position than to move a forward back to the blueline.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #98
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Flames weren't giving him the NMC.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:23 AM   #99
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post

Does it matter who is on your taxi squad versus who is in your "press box", other than for cap optimization?

I think the Flames should do this too, if I understand the math right... between your roster and taxi squad you have 29 spots. 3 are goalies, so that leaves 26. If you go 10 D and 16 forwards, you've got four spares at each position. I think it's unlikely that you go deeper than your fourth backup forward or d-man at any given point.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:02 AM   #100
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I hope they included Jeff Skinner on that list.

He had just 23 points in 60 games last year and was a cool -22, keeping in line with his career average on that stat. I just saw last night that he's now playing on the 4th line to start the year. $9 million/year for another 7 years. Holy #### that's a bad contract.

Somehow we all knew it when he signed. Every knew except Botterill that is. It's amazing that guy found another job.
Skinner was on the list yes.