Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-12-2021, 09:08 AM   #81
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There's nothing wrong with being sensitive but maybe not the best to just act on that and call out posters as ignorant. We have had plenty of discussions about Kane before here and he's earned his reputation whether he was being a bad teammate, immaturely posing for photos with wads of cash, feeling he was so special he never had to pay for meals at Winnipeg restaurants, etc.
EE, just to be clear, I never called out anyone in particular. And I am not saying it IS any one post in particular.

Its just my opinion on the tone of the thread and the many comments.

If you guys don't feel it applies to you, then brush it off. If it pissed you off, ask yourself why, maybe?
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:10 AM   #82
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Talking about race is always uncomfortable. And it is easy to get defensive about it.

I, a person who has no vested interest in the life of Evander Kane, who DOES have experience with family members with addictions issues (gambling, et al), sees an undercurrent in this thread that seems intolerant in a couple different ways.

Maybe you, as a person who wants to be open minded and fair, should take my comments at face value and evaluate rather than just getting defensive?

I have no real stake in this game. I am not trying to piss people off. I am commented on what I felt was and is going on in this thread.

If you want to get pissed off at what I said, maybe it's because you aren't open to that conversation. Which is fine. But ask yourself why you aren't? Instead of getting upset that it may need to happen. Because conversations on race and our society need to happen regularly, in my opinion.
I said that you were being ridiculous, and shared an article highlighting Kane’s “me first” behaviour in his career that has resulted in him being moved all over the league.

You have projected onto me: that I am pissed, not open to a race conversation, defensive about that feeling, and upset about it. Dial it back.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:11 AM   #83
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I said that you were being ridiculous, and shared an article highlighting Kane’s “me first” behaviour in his career that has resulted in him being moved all over the league.

You have projected onto me: that I am pissed, not open to a race conversation, defensive about that feeling, and upset about it. Dial it back.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯, you seem a bit "pent-up"

PS. I apologize, when I said "you" in the post, it was meant as the royal you. Not you in particular. That is my fault for wording it like that when using your post in my reply. I was replying to you and using you as a proxy. Sorry for suggesting that. I added an edit to my original post.

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 01-12-2021 at 09:16 AM.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:15 AM   #84
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just wish this guy would go away already.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:15 AM   #85
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also want to clarify that I'm not calling anyone personally a racist or accusing anyone of being malicious, but this is the type of passive/ casual commentary that contributes to racism's evolution in our society.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #86
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

People that look to make things about race with a magnifying glass are the reason guys like Trump get elected.

Just tone it down a bit guys or bananas will be removed from store shelves and who here would not be devastated to not be able to get a banana strawberry shake?

Back on topic. Kane gets no sympathy from me, he is a prick.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #87
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
This board isnt what it used to be.
Meah, it started out with a clear cut villain we could all agree on, and then devolved into a internal bicker over a post, and now we are on Trump. I'd say its following its usual course.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 09:23 AM   #88
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
People that look to make things about race with a magnifying glass are the reason guys like Trump get elected.

Just tone it down a bit guys or bananas will be removed from store shelves and who here would not be devastated to not be able to get a banana strawberry shake?

Back on topic. Kane gets no sympathy from me, he is a prick.
There is so much wrong with this post. I appreciate you taking the time to reply but you're absolutely, stunningly wrong. If you believe people calling out racism is the reason for Trump's ilk coming in to power you are totally beyond saving. And you clearly don't understand the root of the issue you're replying to in this thread. Bananas are nutrious, plentiful, and delicious. They can exist in many places, but they never need to be brought up in a thread about a black athlete unless you're very specifically talking about their diet or meal plan. I highly doubt you will be able to understand this as it appears that you require personal touchpoints of experience to create those neurons, and you have never and likely will never experience this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #89
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Me thinking to myself: "hmm...I wonder where the conversation has gone in the Evander Kane thread"

Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:31 AM   #90
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Settle down...banana phone is more common that you think. Nothing racist.

True story: I hear this song once almost every single day.
Baby Beluga often gets into the double digits.
[And I wouldn't have it any other way...]

Last edited by IamNotKenKing; 01-12-2021 at 09:34 AM.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:45 AM   #91
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
There is so much wrong with this post. I appreciate you taking the time to reply but you're absolutely, stunningly wrong. If you believe people calling out racism is the reason for Trump's ilk coming in to power you are totally beyond saving. And you clearly don't understand the root of the issue you're replying to in this thread. Bananas are nutrious, plentiful, and delicious. They can exist in many places, but they never need to be brought up in a thread about a black athlete unless you're very specifically talking about their diet or meal plan. I highly doubt you will be able to understand this as it appears that you require personal touchpoints of experience to create those neurons, and you have never and likely will never experience this.
This is where you have it wrong.

You are not calling out racism. You are looking to make things racist and using a fine comb to find them.

When I saw the thread pop up I saw Kane, an ahole hockey player getting humbled by misfortune. His doing or not.
I didn't see a white guy, black guy or anything else. A hockey player that I dislike. That's what I saw.

You saw a black guy. A guy that's presumably different that you. And I'm the insensitive one?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #92
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might be behind here, but has it been confirmed that he lost his wealth via gambling? There are other sources such as the money being miss-managed from an investment point of view, supporting family/friends, funding ventures, etc.
Do we know what the cause of his financial stress is? I see some reports of how much money he's lost in the last month or so, but not a break down of total wealth loss. Is the gambling thing the main driver here?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:53 AM   #93
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is where you have it wrong.

You are not calling out racism. You are looking to make things racist and using a fine comb to find them.

When I saw the thread pop up I saw Kane, an ahole hockey player getting humbled by misfortune. His doing or not.
I didn't see a white guy, black guy or anything else. A hockey player that I dislike. That's what I saw.

You saw a black guy. A guy that's presumably different that you. And I'm the insensitive one?
Nope, I opened the thread same as you. Then I saw Wasted's comment and thought, who is being racist??? Then I scrolled back one page and found someone saying that Kane should have stuck with the Banana phone. It didn't take any fine toothed comb, it was literally the first post visible on one of the pages in this thread.

That is me being confronted with casual racism in every day life, and then you (sorry but you did) felt the need to counter that it is nothing and just regular every day talk.

If you see that as regular every day talk then I am sorry to tell you but you are playing into the casual racism of our society. Whether or not you see this hockey player as black isn't at issue.

Regarding Wasted's larger commentary on how black people and financial struggles are seemingly interpreted differently than white people, I think that rings true too. Look at Jagr and the narrative around his significant gambling debts and reflections on the player vs what is in this thread. I agree with Wasted, there's a tonal difference whether intentional or not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 09:54 AM   #94
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I might be behind here, but has it been confirmed that he lost his wealth via gambling? There are other sources such as the money being miss-managed from an investment point of view, supporting family/friends, funding ventures, etc.
Do we know what the cause of his financial stress is? I see some reports of how much money he's lost in the last month or so, but not a break down of total wealth loss. Is the gambling thing the main driver here?
Maybe he donated to many different needs and failed to keep track of the amount given. Possibly failed to use it as a tax right off. Dig deeper and find out what his causes are.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

Last edited by Johnhitbox; 01-12-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:54 AM   #95
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
You’re not wrong about the addiction aspect, but the distinction in my mind is with substance abuse it can end your life. In his case this puts him in a bad financial situation and wasn’t caused by something he couldn’t control. They’re warned about this stuff. His health physically is in no disarray, so I’m fine with poking him in this situation. It’s a little ridiculous to be in such bad debt that you have to have a puzzled look on your face on how it got so bad.
Being in a bad financial position in Vegas does end lives.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #96
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm sorry, a banana phone reference is not racist. Banana phone is a common reference and it is that because it's shaped like an old school phone.

But good on you to find a link between that and racial insensitivity. With that said, I'm out. You get the last word.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 10:06 AM   #97
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Me thinking to myself: "hmm...I wonder where the conversation has gone in the Evander Kane thread"

I can't believe you used a gif with a black man in it you racist!
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #98
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Kane is lucky his career isn't over. Hopefully this is a wake up call for him.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #99
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sorry, a banana phone reference is not racist. Banana phone is a common reference and it is that because it's shaped like an old school phone.

But good on you to find a link between that and racial insensitivity. With that said, I'm out. You get the last word.
I'm not looking for the last word man, I just genuinely want to connect with you so we can find mutual understanding.

I will use an example:
Yosemite Sam frequently calls Bugs Bunny a Cotton Picking Rabbit. Maybe a reference that was acceptable and common in past times. Today you can't really expect to use the same sort of insult without facing harsh criticism for evoking the era of slavery.
99% of times someone references Banana phone is likely to be completely acceptable. Kid picks up something and pretends to use it like a telephone? sing Banana phone! Kids playing with Bananas? Put it to your ear and pretend to talk to someone! Playing around with Bananas with your friends and pretend to take a bussines call on one? Banana phone! Getting drunk in mexico with banana drinks? you bet your ass it's raffi time?

But in a conversation about the financial struggles or a black athlete (reviled or not?) Not the appropriate time to evoke a children's song about Banana phones. The implication could go a lot of ways: do you think evander is too childish to use adult devices? Do you think he only eats Bananas? Do you think he should only be eating bananas? What is the purpose of the implication in this context... Honestly I don't think there is a positive angle.

I should add that the "Banana" #### is especially relevant in Hockey, where it has consistently been used to aggrieve black players. Here's an incident that happened within the last decade: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...rticle4085745/
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #100
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Absolutely ZERO sympathy, how does this even happen?
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote