Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2021, 10:24 AM   #301
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Maybe a reality check for the lot of you who think Kylington is better then he really is.
With the opportunity, I'm quite confident he develops into a good offensive d-man. Or even if he pulled a reverse Brent Burns and became a forward. All I know is there are NHL tools there.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:25 AM   #302
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe a reality check for the lot of you who think Kylington is better then he really is.
Well, He has had visa issues, and as a result has only played two days at camp. Add in that he would have to quarantine with his new team, and you are looking at a player who would be well over a week into the NHL season without hardly skating or getting into game shape. Then he would have to learn the new systems etc..

A team would really have to like him to have him just sit on the NHL roster in favor of someone they are far more familiar with for who knows how long until he up to game speed and ready to play.

If the scrimmage last night is any indication he is no where near being ready to step in and having a positive impact.

It was a calculated risk that paid off this time.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 10:26 AM   #303
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I still feel that one. I was ready to sign Paul Byron to a multi year deal while Treliving was waiving him instead. I remember the anger I felt when I heard he was claimed. Probably the first time I’ve ever been upset over a waiver transaction.
It wasn't so much we lost Byron on waivers per say, it was more that we lost him because we wanted to keep Brandon Bollig that was the real kicker. I'd understand if Flames were flush with talent and just needed to clear roster space. But Brandon fricking Bollig?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 10:26 AM   #304
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
I think we see a young player with a high ceiling given his talents who has made progress in his development since entering the organization. Kylington was a project going in, and I'm pretty sure we all knew that.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 10:27 AM   #305
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Wow I can’t believe Kylington wasn’t picked up and Luca Sbisa was. I remember the Flames absolutely owning Sbisa a few years ago in the playoffs. I think the Canucks use to have saying about Luca offering Sbizzas up the middle or something because he was so prone to giveaways.
Sbisa has over 500 NHL games, he knows what he is doing...Kylington less than 100 and honestly often doesnt look like he knows what to do.

Also very different styles of play. Im guessing Poile has a very defined role in mind for Sbisa...one that OK couldnt fill.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:28 AM   #306
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I think it is also a reality check for those that don't consider salary cap, waivers rules, expansion draft, prospects at the position and total number of contracts available in these situations.

There were really only 3-4 teams that could have even considered Ryan and only about 6-7 who might have taken Kylington.

It's not a surprise they weren't taken
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N26 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 10:30 AM   #307
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Well, He has had visa issues, and as a result has only played two days at camp. Add in that he would have to quarantine with his new team, and you are looking at a player who would be well over a week into the NHL season without hardly skating or getting into game shape. Then he would have to learn the new systems etc..

A team would really have to like him to have him just sit on the NHL roster in favor of someone they are far more familiar with for who knows how long until he up to game speed and ready to play.

If the scrimmage last night is any indication he is no where near being ready to step in and having a positive impact.

It was a calculated risk that paid off this time.

The Flames have 5 years of data and watching him....this had nothing to do with visa issues or conditioning or anything else. It was a GM waiving his 8th dman to the taxi squad...like every team has to do if that guy is waiver eligible.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:31 AM   #308
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Seems like Flames fans have serious PTSD over Paul Byron.
I'm still not over Strahlman!
Old 01-12-2021, 10:32 AM   #309
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Now Oliver needs to take advantage and work hard on the Taxi squad so he doesn't get waived again.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:34 AM   #310
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I just do not understand how they did not go and sign Hamonic
Hienola is going to be a stud
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:35 AM   #311
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of teams want to move a contract for a contract. For example, Flames put Kulak through waivers and no one took him but then traded him for a contract.

I would not be shocked if this is what happens with Kylington. Possibly get traded for one of these other guys that cleared.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:36 AM   #312
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If the Bruins liked Kylington so much in 2015 they definitely played hard to get by passing on him six times!!!
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 10:38 AM   #313
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

That's a nice surprise to wake up to. Not surprised that Ryan cleared, although even the possibility of him being claimed made me a bit antsy. But, with all the defensemen being claimed recently, I thought Kylington was definitely gone.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #314
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Assuming they start the season with a bare minimum of 20 players on the active roster and 6 on the taxi squad...

FORWARD
  1. Tkachuk (7.00)
  2. Gaudreau (6.75)
  3. Monahan (6.375)
  4. Backlund (5.35)
  5. Lucic (5.25)
  6. Lindholm (4.85)
  7. Bennett (2.55)
  8. Mangiapane (2.425)
  9. Leivo (0.875)
  10. Dube (0.778333)
  11. Nordstrom (0.700)
  12. Simon (0.700)

DEFENCE
  1. Giordano (6.75)
  2. Hanifin (4.95)
  3. Andersson (4.55)
  4. Tanev (4.50)
  5. Valimaki (0.894166)
  6. Nesterov (0.700)

GOAL
  1. Markstrom (6.00)
  2. Rittich (2.75)

TAXI
  1. Domingue
  2. Ryan (2.05 unburied)
  3. Rinaldo
  4. Ritchie
  5. Kylington
  6. Stone/Petrovic

Buyouts (Brouwer/Stone): 2.67

TOTAL: $79.417 million

----------

This would give the team just over $2 million in cap space to start the season. Much better than less than a quarter million.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:40 AM   #315
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
A lot of teams want to move a contract for a contract. For example, Flames put Kulak through waivers and no one took him but then traded him for a contract.

I would not be shocked if this is what happens with Kylington. Possibly get traded for one of these other guys that cleared.
I just hope he stays as our #7.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #316
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, Kylington has lots of potential, but if you claim him, he needs to be on your roster now. That's the problem. Also, it means you have to expose one of your own projects. And every team has their Kylingtons.

It was a risk, for sure. But it has paid off. And now Treliving has bought himself some flexibility with the cap.

This is good news for the organization.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #317
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Keeping Kylington and his two way contract on the taxi squad can save the team over 700k real money in a tough economic year. That makes sense to me

The real concern here is Ryan not being in the lineup over lesser players. We just don’t have 12 forwards who are better. Nordstrom is very bad at everything except killing penalties, and it’s not like Ryan is a PK slouch
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:43 AM   #318
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Keeping Kylington and his two way contract on the taxi squad can save the team over 700k real money in a tough economic year. That makes sense to me

The real concern here is Ryan not being in the lineup over lesser players. We just don’t have 12 forwards who are better. Nordstrom is very bad at everything except killing penalties, and it’s not like Ryan is a PK slouch
Ryan we be ‘recalled’ on game days and play no doubt.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #319
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy to see Kylington stay in the fold. I think he still has some up side.

Unless the plan is to have a regular rotation on taxi squad players, I think it would be better to send him to Stockton until they want to call him up. At his age, he should be playing games to get better.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:45 AM   #320
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Assuming they start the season with a bare minimum of 20 players on the active roster and 6 on the taxi squad...
And obviously, you can't run with only 20 forever, but the schedule does give them a nice window to start.

They play one game in Wpg, then come home for 2 against Van, then 5 days off, then 2 more at home to Tor. Their 2nd road game isn't until the 28th in Mtl. So they can run with a 20, or 21 man roster throughout that, and create some wiggle room for themselves.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote