Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2021, 11:00 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Canucks 5 Flames 1

Game Takes: Canucks 5 Flames 1

- Flames start slowly again
- Far too many turnovers
- Better game territorially
- Can't solve Brayden Holtby
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 01:02 AM   #2
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

- Simon with that give away on the first shift was just a blatant example of why he doesn’t belong there. How do you go from being a regular scratch to being in the top 6?

- I thought that 2nd goal set the Flames back a bit as they were really building some momentum in their play and taking it to the Canucks. After the goal that momentum dissipated. Markstrom shouldn’t have made that play obviously but we did recover, although briefly.

- The line juggling isn’t helping things IMO. Tossing the lines in a blender every game is getting tiresome to watch and I’m sure the players aren’t big fans of it either.

- Everyone who was wondering why Nesterov has been a scratch, look no further than the 5th goal. He has had some poorly timed pinches quite a few times this year and it’s cost us. I like him but also have no issues cycling Mackey, Nesterov and Kylington in the #6 spot.

- I would like to see Andersson and Valimaki as our two PP quarterbacks moving forward. Let Gio get his ice time at even strength and on the PK as he isn’t as effective as he once was and although Valimaki doesn’t quite look comfortable in that role yet it’s just a matter of time so he needs more opportunities to adjust.

- There are a lot of calls that Ward makes that are driving many of us crazy. I really don’t know what the solution for this is as I don’t see the organization firing him. Tre blew his get out of jail free card but none of us know what is going on behind the scenes.

- We need to solve the top 6 RW problem. This is just getting ridiculous.

It’s getting so annoying watching this team, but watch I will...

Go Flames Go!
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:30 AM   #3
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
- Simon with that give away on the first shift was just a blatant example of why he doesn’t belong there. How do you go from being a regular scratch to being in the top 6?

- I thought that 2nd goal set the Flames back a bit as they were really building some momentum in their play and taking it to the Canucks. After the goal that momentum dissipated. Markstrom shouldn’t have made that play obviously but we did recover, although briefly.

- The line juggling isn’t helping things IMO. Tossing the lines in a blender every game is getting tiresome to watch and I’m sure the players aren’t big fans of it either.

- Everyone who was wondering why Nesterov has been a scratch, look no further than the 5th goal. He has had some poorly timed pinches quite a few times this year and it’s cost us. I like him but also have no issues cycling Mackey, Nesterov and Kylington in the #6 spot.

- I would like to see Andersson and Valimaki as our two PP quarterbacks moving forward. Let Gio get his ice time at even strength and on the PK as he isn’t as effective as he once was and although Valimaki doesn’t quite look comfortable in that role yet it’s just a matter of time so he needs more opportunities to adjust.

- There are a lot of calls that Ward makes that are driving many of us crazy. I really don’t know what the solution for this is as I don’t see the organization firing him. Tre blew his get out of jail free card but none of us know what is going on behind the scenes.

- We need to solve the top 6 RW problem. This is just getting ridiculous.

It’s getting so annoying watching this team, but watch I will...

Go Flames Go!
It's a process.

Agree with Simon and other taxi riders that find their way on the top line. It just makes no sense and it must be demoralizing to others on the team. These guys should be rotating in and out of the 3-4th lines.
Maybe Ward does it to show the team that there are consequences for poor play. Have a bad game, you sit the next one.

Meanwhile Matthew Tkachuk takes a nap on the 3rd goal, is way out of the play on the fourth and is there for the first shift of the 3rd period.
Being down 4-1 this was the perfect opportunity to send a meaningful message.
Put Ritter in, sit Tkachuk and one more "star" and play the 3rd and 4th line half the period. The game was already lost.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 11:30 AM   #4
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

The record says that the Flames been a mediocre ( 8 wins in 16 games) team and the fancy stats pretty uniformly say they have been better than average team.

Do you feel that the Fancy stats are indicative of:

1) the Flames being a better team than their win total would indicate and have just been unlucky

2) The Flames style of play focuses on getting good possession stats (sort of like Ottawa)

3) That fancy stats are a fun thing to track but not developed to the level where they are indicative of either past or future results.

Oilers are in the bottom quarter of the league in Fancy stats but watching the games I would not bet heavily on the Flames dominating them in the up-coming 2 games or the Below average Leafs in the following 2 games
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:14 PM   #5
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

To me yesterday it felt that one team was able to sink 25 foot putts and the other a hard time tapping it in from 2 feet.

First Vancouver goal, Benn hammers it down the middle. I am sure he was going glove side. Oh well
2nd goal, decisional error by Marky
3rd goal, iron an in
4rd goal, twice puck hits Marky on the logo but can't swallow it
5th goal, almost same as 3rd goal.

The Flames?

Goalie chest, shin pad, Goalie chest, Goalie chest (Hello Chucky!), over the net, sticks from almost same exact areas that Van got their goals from.

These guys should seriously work on their shooting and deflections as everything yesterday was right in Holtby's gut..Isn't Chucky suppose to be one the best? Well he has whiffed more than sub ,200 baseball hitters so far this year.

But I'm sure some of you still think it's Ward system that makes a player shoot like sh$%

Also:
First, use what got you to the NHL. If you can skate, skate, if you can pass, pass, if you can shoot, shoot. You know like you worked so hard to make it to the big show so just pretend there is another league higher and you want to make it there!!!!
Second, when battling, stay on the fn right side of the puck or if you prefer facing the player and closer to your zone than that player Jesus Murphy)
Third, On a line change, hustle to the bench instead of gliding.First thing they teach you in atom.

End of rant
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote