Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-23-2021, 01:29 PM   #1761
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Eh, I can only speak for myself but I like how 960 mixes other sports in there. Those years I was in the Edmonton area, yeah its true that its Oilers practically 24/7 on 1260. But is that good? Like it'd be middle of the summer, CFL & MLB in full swing, NFL training camp on...and its just Oilers Oilers Oilers. I love hockey too, but I don't need that nonstop level of coverage on my team when they aren't even lacing em up for another 3 months, especially when there's other sports currently playing that I love.

1260 shouldn't even represent themselves as "sports radio", but just embrace what they actually are: specifically a NHL/Oilers-only station.
Oilers Stanley cup banners are handed out in the summer; usually right between the draft and the very first game of the season.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 02:17 PM   #1762
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

960 had Versteeg, Conroy and Sarich all give insight about TOR game. Good work. These guys all played at highest level and sat in the meetings so they give both sides in their analysis.

Interesting, smart comments by all of them. Versteeg is noticeable in how looked at TOI for players and their optimal utilization. Seems like a smart dude.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 09:28 AM   #1763
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Fan 960 now turning on Tkachuk? They're biting on the Eastern media stuff, and now yapping about doing stuff at the wrong times/discussing teammates getting tired of it. Pinder saying he's not captain material.

The only player on this team with any emotion, and they're yammering on negatively about it.

Absolute joke of a radio station filled with bad takes.

*spits on 960*

Last edited by ComixZone; 01-29-2021 at 09:36 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:20 AM   #1764
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The same Tkachuk who has done nothing this season except throw a tantrum in a game in which he was embarrassingly bad and then looked embarrassingly bad the next night too?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 11:08 AM   #1765
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
The Fan 960 now turning on Tkachuk? They're biting on the Eastern media stuff, and now yapping about doing stuff at the wrong times/discussing teammates getting tired of it. Pinder saying he's not captain material.

The only player on this team with any emotion, and they're yammering on negatively about it.

Absolute joke of a radio station filled with bad takes.

*spits on 960*
In Pinder's defense he did ask if that is the player you want having in game interactions with the reffs. Is it? I think Pinder's point is right, for now anyways. Good leader, great player but not the poster boy for calm, likeable demeaner on the ice.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:26 AM   #1766
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
In Pinder's defense he did ask if that is the player you want having in game interactions with the reffs. Is it? I think Pinder's point is right, for now anyways. Good leader, great player but not the poster boy for calm, likeable demeaner on the ice.
I have to admit Pinder may be on the mark here. Would you want Brad Marchant as your guy in the refs ear for in game interactions? Probably not so stands to reason that Tkachuk may not be the best guy for that role.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 11:27 AM   #1767
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

At this point I can't disagree with Pinder..

Leadership Is more than emotion, it's leading by example. I love tkachuk, but he has some more maturing to do.

As for the rest of the team, I'm not impressed by any of them.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:17 PM   #1768
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Tkachuk and want him on my team. But I would not make him my captain. That would actually limit his effectiveness.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 03:34 PM   #1769
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had to turn the afternoon show off once again due to another one of Nault's ridiculous childish rants.

Steinberg clearly stating the the 4th like has been terrible and needs a change of bodies - to which Nault exploded into the top 6 haven't been good enough and therefor the 4th line should be left alone. He was fuming and sounded on the edge of tears.

Why I still have the preset in my truck is beyond me.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 03:43 PM   #1770
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Had to turn the afternoon show off once again due to another one of Nault's ridiculous childish rants.

Steinberg clearly stating the the 4th like has been terrible and needs a change of bodies - to which Nault exploded into the top 6 haven't been good enough and therefor the 4th line should be left alone. He was fuming and sounded on the edge of tears.

I agree just unbearable. Honestly I wish there was a TSN alternative here because I enjoy having Flames centric sports talk on in the background when I am working. I find myself turning the volume down when Nault starts ranting. The more mic time this guy gets the worse the station is
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 03:48 PM   #1771
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post

I don't really understand Nault's MO. Is he trying the be a s-disturber just for the sake of it? He gets super confrontational and combative over every little thing. Steinberg on more than a few occasions have told him to calm the eff down. He sounds so tightly wound. And his annoying, nasally voice just exacerbates his bad takes. Worst guy on the Fan IMO.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 03:49 PM   #1772
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I agree just unbearable. Honestly I wish there was a TSN alternative here because I enjoy having Flames centric sports talk on in the background when I am working. I find myself turning the volume down when Nault starts ranting. The more mic time this guy gets the worse the station is
Is there a reason that they are so tone deaf to how unpopular he is? I can’t imagine he’d be hard to replace for cheap. Is he someone’s son or something?

I’m sure he’s a great guy but I have yet to hear anyone who says their a fan or better yet even finds him tolerable. His matter of factness bothers me more then anything and he just generally can’t handle anyone having a differing view point then he does. Does not make for a good radio personality in any capacity.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 03:50 PM   #1773
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is a really bad take.

The role of the fourth line on any team is to create energy and wear down the opposition. The Flames fourth line has had none of that. Ryan is a solid defensive player, right shot, and should be slotted on Backlund's wing.

Lucic is energized by the players around him. Bennett and Dube charged Lucic up. Put him with Gawdin and Phillips, and you would have an effective fourth line.

Just do the opposite of whatever Nault says. Is he doing that on purpose?
Old 01-29-2021, 04:45 PM   #1774
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Negative Naulty is a constant source of comedy relief for me.

I would not miss him if he was not on the air, however he can be so out there that I just have to laugh.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:05 PM   #1775
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought both guys were right.... the 4th line should be punted into the sun because it's awful, and hurting the team. This would be far less noticeable if the top lines were playing dominant hockey and if the club had offensive zone starts, higher possession time etc. It's all related. But sending that 4th line over the boards in high-risk situations or need-to-score situations... yeah it's real dumb.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:31 PM   #1776
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Negative Naulty is a constant source of comedy relief for me.

I would not miss him if he was not on the air, however he can be so out there that I just have to laugh.
He’s a riot.

Two years ago when Brodie had a rough start, Slick Willy wanted to make him a healthy scratch. That was his discussion point.

Nothing like taking the easiest and dumbest take then using it as broadcast material.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 08:23 PM   #1777
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Nothing like taking the easiest and dumbest take then using it as broadcast material.
That’s what makes me laugh. It’s like Dumb and Dumber played by a single actor but on radio.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 08:32 PM   #1778
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think I'm glad that I no longer live in CGY and drive around in my car/truck listening to 960 - which I used to do ALL the time.

Thanks for the warning.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 08:40 PM   #1779
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You never know what people are going through.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1354885162341789697
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2021, 02:10 AM   #1780
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You never know what people are going through.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1354885162341789697
This is true. No one here is wishing personal ill will on Nault anymore than he was wishing ill will on T.J. Brodie when he suggested he be scratched.

Will professionally critiqued T.J. Brodie
People here are professionally critiquing him.

You don’t know what people are going through.

T.J.’s wife has MS, no one stopped critiquing his work, especially Will because of unfortunate circumstances.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post: