Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2019, 11:21 AM   #721
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Boomer = Shaggy
Warrener = Scooby
Pinder = Velma

With Velma gone, it's all just food and hijinx for Shaggy and Scoob.
Oh man, this made me laugh hard ... thanks!!
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:04 PM   #722
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I personally wouldn't call it unlistenable, and I still listen every morning on my drive to work. But I agree that the quality has taken a hit since Pinder moved to afternoons.

It's funny how replacing him with someone over 10 years Pinder's junior somehow made the show feel older..probably because his replacement (who I like) loves staying home, crushing food and movies as much as Boomer & Rhett do. As opposed to the contrast of fun-loving, "patio beers" Pinder bringing the energy and getting on their nerves to bring out the chirps and liven things up. That and his obsessive analytics side kept the topic on sports a lot more than they do now, man those guys love food.
I like Klein, but he's the lovable dope as opposed to the foil that Pinder played so well. He's doesn't have the chops to maintain his own opinion. This morning he was calling out Gaudreau for making the button hook after zone entries. Boomer interjected that Gaudreau has no other options and Klein did the old "wait, you didn't let me finish" so he could do a hard back track.

The thing with Pinder was that he had his own opinion, it didn't always jive with Boomer/Warrener and he was willing to dig into the topic which created friction and better radio.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #723
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I think you're right and you're wrong -- "journalism" of Murrow and Lippmann's age is probably on its way out, but the whole niche of media consumption is growing faster than ever. There's an ongoing semantic debate among those in the field about what exactly constitutes journalism. But, while the number of express positions as a "journalist" is going down, the number of positions incorporating that same skill-set is actually going up. I think the line is really blurred between journalism, communications, "media," and broadcasting.
I think you're mistakenly assuming that all the "jobs" created by social media and internet use that have replaced traditional media jobs actually pay anything.

They mostly don't and if they do it's mostly peanuts. For the most part you still have to get on with a big backed company to make a living, which is no different than 15 years ago.

The only difference is very few people are willing to pay for online content compared to those willing to pay for print and TV content historically.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:58 PM   #724
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it was just the company I was with as its pretty large, but we had a sizeable communications dept that sounded like made decent money. Most of the ones I talked to used to be in the media, now they more dealt with media relations and helped communicate protects on the website our very skilled, very socially awkward engineers were working on, etc.

As someone mentioned before, yeah it seems to be more of a corporate transition many are making. Especially if they got the full Comms. degree while in college.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #725
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Just an FYI

Joe Colborne will be joining Francis at 9;20 to discuss his struggles with post concussion etc.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #726
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
I like Klein, but he's the lovable dope as opposed to the foil that Pinder played so well. He's doesn't have the chops to maintain his own opinion. This morning he was calling out Gaudreau for making the button hook after zone entries. Boomer interjected that Gaudreau has no other options and Klein did the old "wait, you didn't let me finish" so he could do a hard back track.

The thing with Pinder was that he had his own opinion, it didn't always jive with Boomer/Warrener and he was willing to dig into the topic which created friction and better radio.

I agree 100 % but who could they being in? Cause ponder seems happy on afternoons

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:21 PM   #727
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I really can't stand listening to Pinder anymore.

He's just so condescending. Even when I agree with the point he's making, it's painful to listen to him talk down to everybody while throwing in those smug laughs when countering a point. He also interrupts others constantly, even when they are beginning to answer a direct question he asked them.

It makes for terrible radio, so I choose to switch to podcasts whenever he's going lately.

Last edited by AC; 04-08-2019 at 09:30 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #728
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The round table with Wills and Steinberg was really bad today. He wanted to pick a fight so bad with everything Wills said.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:47 PM   #729
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I really can't stand listening to Pinder anymore.

He's just so condescending. Even when I agree with the point he's making, it's painful to listen to him talk down to everybody while throwing in those smug laughs when countering a point. He also interrupts others constantly, even when they are beginning to answer a direct question he asked them.

It makes for terrible radio, so I choose to switch to podcasts whenever he's going lately.
Yeah, I am with you 100%. I used to really appreciate his perspective, but now it's just stale. I mainly listen to Podcasts or other market's feeds because based on results I pretty much know what his thoughts will be.

Where his opinion was once nuanced, it's now just old and tiresome. It's like he has analytics down cold in his head and where they used to provide his perspectives with colour, now they just dominate. Oh and if you don't agree... well... you're wrong.

He either thinks he's smarter than everyone else, or he is just tone deaf to his need to communicate and grow his thoughts/understanding/analysis in ways that more people find approachable and valuable.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 04-08-2019, 10:54 PM   #730
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The round table with Wills and Steinberg was really bad today. He wanted to pick a fight so bad with everything Wills said.
To be fair to pinder, Wills is equally unlistenable. He is an absolute homer and is so entrenched in his takes and opinions and he is so damn smug now that smith is starting in net for game 1. He refused to call out smith all season even when he sucked and is now just doing the smuggest baloney now that he is playing better. The wills and pinder dynamic needs to change because it is very toxic and it seems like they seriously dislike each other away from the radio.

IMO pinder brings more to the show or radio than wills.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 11:06 PM   #731
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Pinder says TAXES one more time.. jesus.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:08 PM   #732
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames proved this year that depth is important. Fan960 has no depth.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 11:16 PM   #733
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
To be fair to pinder, Wills is equally unlistenable. He is an absolute homer and is so entrenched in his takes and opinions and he is so damn smug now that smith is starting in net for game 1. He refused to call out smith all season even when he sucked and is now just doing the smuggest baloney now that he is playing better. The wills and pinder dynamic needs to change because it is very toxic and it seems like they seriously dislike each other away from the radio.

IMO pinder brings more to the show or radio than wills.
Wills is on for 20 minutes.

Pinder is on for 4 hours.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #734
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
It'll cost ya
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #735
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
He can go on and on about whether a player shoots right or left.

Last edited by troutman; 04-09-2019 at 02:12 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #736
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would rather a radio host have an opinion and fight to defend it rather than have two people who just agree with each other or are afraid to have any disagreement. That is boring radio. Its ironic to see people on here bashing radio hosts for being stubborn when its the same thing that happens on this board.
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #737
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pinder has become insufferable without the tandem of Boomer/Warrener to put him in his place. Steinberg needs to grow a backbone if that tandem wants to have any longevity.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:23 PM   #738
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
The Flames proved this year that depth is important. Fan960 has no depth.
When Klein and Nault hosted the morning show yesterday, I thought I was listening to Red Deer College radio.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #739
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sympathize with Kelly Kirch. There's not a pipeline of all-star radio personalities to pick and choose from in western Canada and I believe he's done a pretty good job going back to early last decade. He's brought in some good personalities over the years in Joe Sports, Kerr, Richards, etc but there's only so many rabbits he can pull out of the hat. I think Steinberg is solid and likable and Boomer has his moments. The other guys don't really resonate with me but even at that it's a lot better than the alternative which is no local sports radio.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #740
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
When Klein and Nault hosted the morning show yesterday, I thought I was listening to Red Deer College radio.
The instant I hear Nault I change the station, he absolutely sucks at radio.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post: