Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #341
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I'm still subscribed. I follow every team's feed, not just Calgary.

For those that are there mainly for Flames content? I'd be gone in a heartbeat. The Athletic continues to underserve this market.
I thought they had pretty good coverage. I just don't think the Calgary market was supporting the Flames on the website. Just not enough Flames fans to keep it viable to pay writers to cover them. It's not a conspiracy that they have lots of Oilers coverage still.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:17 PM   #342
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

I emailed to ask about this, and about a Black Friday discount. I was polite, and have been a subscriber for 2-3 years at full price.

I never got a reply, and therefore cancelled.

Basic customer service isn’t that hard. You’d think especially now.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #343
fastpuck
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Terrible Flames Coverage

I also have sent them a couple of emails. I did hear back, basically said, that the contact email person had no influence on editorial content and then directed me to a Flames article that was a week old. Very poor service, tempted to cancel even though it is paid for.
fastpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:43 AM   #344
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dissapointed as most others, with their drop in Flames coverage. Dropped them a line as well. Let us see if they respond.

Definitely would consider not renewing, if the lack of flames writers isn't rectified. This hopefully is just a lull, till the season gets back in full swing.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #345
SilverKast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I liked the articles, but the amount of Calgary coverage simply wasn't enough for me to continue my subscription. Lots of good coverage on some of the NFL teams, but overall I just didn't feel like it was good value for what I was paying so I cancelled when it came up for renewal last month.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:12 PM   #346
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I have Calgarypuck for any Flames news or info, so I honestly didn't even notice the lack of Flames articles on The Athletic. Obviously not everyone subscribes for the same reasons, but I'm still enjoying reading news from around the league.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:14 AM   #347
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just unsubscribed but still have access until April. Maybe they'll improve coverage before then and drag me back in.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:26 AM   #348
Number 39
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Same for me
Number 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #349
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a semi-related note, my kid had an assignment at school that required her to clip a newspaper article. I thought it would be neat to buy an actual copy of the Calgary Herald (for the first time in probably 10+ years) since reading the morning newspaper was a daily part of my childhood growing up.

Went to my neighborhood 7-11 and the thing cost $3!!! No wonder newspapers are dying... who's going to pay three bucks for a newspaper nowadays? I was surprised to say the least...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:05 PM   #350
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Just unsubscribed but still have access until April. Maybe they'll improve coverage before then and drag me back in.

I think it's clear they have thrown in the towel on the Calgary market, which in turn has clearly led to a mass exodus of the remaining Calgary subscriptions. I don't see any way that this leads to a sudden hiring of Calgary writers again.

Last edited by jayswin; 12-08-2020 at 03:08 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:09 PM   #351
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
On a semi-related note, my kid had an assignment at school that required her to clip a newspaper article. I thought it would be neat to buy an actual copy of the Calgary Herald (for the first time in probably 10+ years) since reading the morning newspaper was a daily part of my childhood growing up.

Went to my neighborhood 7-11 and the thing cost $3!!! No wonder newspapers are dying... who's going to pay three bucks for a newspaper nowadays? I was surprised to say the least...

Makes sense though. They simply aren't going to get new sign ups at any discounted price. Where as a lot of their clientele, while old and dying out will pay because they just have to have the paper.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #352
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I think it's clear they have thrown in the towel on the Calgary market, which in turn has clearly led to a mass exodus of the remaining Calgary subscriptions. I don't see any way that this leads to a sudden hiring of Calgary writers again.
True, but supply and demand and all that. If there's no supply of Calgary content, they shouldn't expect any Calgary subscribers.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:35 PM   #353
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
I didn't realize you could do that. My annual subscription just auto-renewed in October. So I can cancel now and I'll still have it to next Oct? Because I'd much rather do that, than run the risk of straight up forgetting again in October '21 and having it renewed yet again..
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #354
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I didn't realize you could do that. My annual subscription just auto-renewed in October. So I can cancel now and I'll still have it to next Oct? Because I'd much rather do that, than run the risk of straight up forgetting again in October '21 and having it renewed yet again..
Yes.
That’s exactly what I did.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:03 PM   #355
jayswin

Exp:

That's how pretty much all subscriptions work. You cancel when you want and whatever you have paid for is given.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #356
fastpuck
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Where is there unsubscribe link, I can't find it on their website?
Old 12-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #357
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpuck View Post
Where is there unsubscribe link, I can't find it on their website?

https://theathletic.zendesk.com/hc/e...-subscription-
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:34 PM   #358
fastpuck
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I don't get that tab, I guess because I buy myself a gift card, which cuts the subscription rate considerable.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:52 PM   #359
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

You can also cancel in the Google Play Store under subscriptions. That's how I did it.
Hockey-and_stuff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 07:46 AM   #360
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good article from the Athletic staff on what to do with the Flames going forward. Basically consensus is this is a good team with a lot of potential and basically the performance of the team will come down to Monahan and Gaudreau.

Duhatchek also has an updated expansion draft article where he now exposes Backlund to the Kraken
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote