Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #1
James Mirtle
Draft Pick

Flames THE ATHLETIC Thread—Articles & Discussion

Hi everyone. I hope this is okay with the mods.

I run the Canadian operations of The Athletic, the new sports site which at this point includes coverage of the seven NHL teams in this country and 25 of the 31 teams overall. We're hiring more writers in Calgary and Edmonton for coverage of the Flames and Oilers for the 2018-19 season.

Here's the job post.

I know CP is the home for diehard Flames fans. This is a great community, one I used to lurk on ages ago before I joined the media. So I wanted to post here quickly and ask what folks think we could do to provide next level coverage of the team and win you over enough that you would subscribe? (Subscriptions typically cost about $48 for the year.) How do we become the best sports media outlet in the city?

I know a lot of you feel you may never pay for a site like ours, and that's totally fine. I get it. But, theoretically, what would it take to give you a product good enough that made it worthwhile, for around $4 a month?

(For those unaware, we currently have Eric Duhatschek, Kent Wilson and Scott Cruickshank writing out of Calgary, as well as our group of national writers led by Pierre LeBrun who weigh in on the Flames once in a while.)

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited by James Mirtle; 07-13-2018 at 09:09 PM.
James Mirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #2
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Randy Sportak?

Scott Cruikshank?

Heck, Kristen Anderson should probably bail right about now.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #3
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Hire Darren Haynes. Give him a platform, please. He deserves it endlessly after losing his sponsorship at Flames From 80 Feet. In my opinion, he's far-and-away the best and most thoughtful sports writer in the entire city.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 110 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
3thirty, AC, ah123, Anduril, badger89, bax, BigErnSalute_16, BigT112, BloodFetish, Boreal, BPH91, Brad Marsh, Braden, brew, Browndog71, btimbit, burn_this_city, bzoo02, Calgary Highlander, calgarybornnraised, Cali Panthers Fan, Camazon, Captain Chuckles, Captaincanada80, CF84, Chingas, chummer, Clever_Iggy, cral12, CsInMyBlood, csnarpy, D as in David, DeluxeMoustache, Dion, Don Benji, drewtastic, DT77, dustygoon, FiveSeven, Flames Draft Watcher, Flamesfan2010, FlamesFanTrev, Funkhouser, Gaskal, Geordano, gonzo29, GreenHardHat, handgroen, hockey.modern, HockeyKhan, IamNotKenKing, iggyformayor, Imported_Aussie, Incogneto, Jay Random, jayswin, Jetfire, jg13, jkflames, kbvall, Knut, KTrain, Lanny'sDaMan, Loudog, malcolmk14, Mazrim, mikeecho, mile, N-E-B, NiklasSundblad, Number 39, PugnaciousIntern, Racki, rayne008, ResAlien, Resolute 14, ricosuave, RM14, robertsfanatic, RyZ, Saint Troy, Savvy27, Scornfire, sec304, Seitse, Sheva #7, shogged, shotinthebacklund, skudr248, socalwingfan, SOMBRI, spennywalks, Split98, StAlbertFlame, Stay Golden, Steve Bozek, SuperMatt18, Sutter_in_law, Swayze11, Table 5, Tailgator, thymebalm, Toonage, Trailer Fire, tvp2003, UKflames, vennegoor of hesselink, WinColumn, wireframe, Yrebmi
Old 07-13-2018, 09:10 PM   #4
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I appreciate your bravery in soliciting feedback!

A few things I would be interested in:

- In depth pieces on individual farm team players. Not necessarily stats but a bit more in-depth coverage of games and player trends.

- I always appreciate the occasional 'Where are they now?' pieces with ex- / retired Flames players and management. I think it adds a depth to appreciating the history of the team.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 09:11 PM   #5
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Shakey is another good one to spin a yarn.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #6
Knut

Exp:

I second Darren Haynes. He has the right mix of optimism and criticism with analytics mixed in.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 09:15 PM   #7
James Mirtle
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
I appreciate your bravery in soliciting feedback!

A few things I would be interested in:

- In depth pieces on individual farm team players. Not necessarily stats but a bit more in-depth coverage of games and player trends.

- I always appreciate the occasional 'Where are they now?' pieces with ex- / retired Flames players and management. I think it adds a depth to appreciating the history of the team.
Those are both very good ideas. Our AHL coverage in Toronto and Montreal has done well. The Athletic's head office is in San Francisco so covering Stockton in person would be feasible.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James Mirtle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #8
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I third Darren Haynes. Damn, that guy is a great writer. Definitely a favourite of mine, and i'm sure many others. He deserves a bigger spot.
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JurassicTunga12 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 09:17 PM   #9
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Guest blog posts from players/former players and executives. Basically, blatently steal what The Players Tribune does every once in a while.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Vox
Old 07-13-2018, 09:19 PM   #10
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

IMO, as a subscriber, the Athletic is well worth it. Highly recommended and the Flames content while a little sparse at the moment is by some fantastic writers and worth the sub alone.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:20 PM   #11
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mirtle View Post
Those are both very good ideas. Our AHL coverage in Toronto and Montreal has done well. The Athletic's head office is in San Francisco so covering Stockton in person would be feasible.
Also, Duha should have a side column on a regular basis where he dishes on all the juicy inside stories he knows from the 80s. I know he's holding back.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #12
James Mirtle
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
IMO, as a subscriber, the Athletic is well worth it. Highly recommended and the Flames content while a little sparse at the moment is by some fantastic writers and worth the sub alone.
We're going to have way more Flames coverage next year. Guaranteed.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to James Mirtle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #13
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Eric Duhatschek got me to subscribe.

I do enjoy Darren Haynes Flames from 80 Feet articles, and he would be a good choice. Isn't he the Canadian Press wire writer for Calgary though?

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #14
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Elliot Friedman
Old 07-13-2018, 09:26 PM   #15
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am sure that you can not comment on some of the writer suggestions, but some of the names already mentioned are writers that I hope apply and get some consideration. Most posters (if not all, really) seem to enjoy reading their work.

Some great ideas also already mentioned with regards to content. Perhaps including a 'behind the scenes' with some of the unheralded personnel on the teams - equipment managers and some of their stories, trainers, etc. I am sure that fans would enjoy learning more about some of the day-to-day operations of NHL teams, and I am sure they have some really fascinating stories to share.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 09:29 PM   #16
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Shakey is another good one to spin a yarn.

I think he has a pretty solid gig now, though.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:36 PM   #17
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Convince the Flames (or even another team) to give you their actual draft order list, and then have your writers do one or more articles/analysis on it. I think that could be fascinating!

If you can't get the current list, I would even find a list from long ago interesting. Some of the lists from Darryl Sutter's years would be really interesting. Now that he's retired, maybe he would even be willing to talk about his process at the time.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 09:39 PM   #18
James Mirtle
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
Also, Duha should have a side column on a regular basis where he dishes on all the juicy inside stories he knows from the 80s. I know he's holding back.
The story Eric tells about being part of training camp in 1980 is hilarious... (yes he actually skated with the Flames for a story)

Old 07-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #19
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will be supporting The Athletic and hockey writers regardless of the hire, but I feel Haynes would be a very special addition to your crew.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #20
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Obligatory don't hire Eric Francis post.

Seriously, don't hire Eric Francis.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote