Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-12-2015, 08:35 PM   #1021
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Toronto's never gone full rebuild, it's about time they did, it's what they need. However, I hate Toronto so I was kind of hoping they'd keep being terrible indefinitely. Hopefully they go full Edmonton and stay terrible permanently while trying to sell people on the future.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #1022
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading these Leaf "blow the team up" proposals in HF boards they are beyond delusional to their players value. They think Dion is going to return a first, prospect and roster player. They think Kessel will return an elite level prospect and a first. They are in for a wake up call as Dion will be a contract dump and Kessel will not get what they hope for
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #1023
Burke Salad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Reporting for duty.
Which is the better, more iconic dance routine, Michael Jackson at the 25th Motown Anniversary or Scorch in random woods?
Burke Salad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burke Salad For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #1024
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Reading these Leaf "blow the team up" proposals in HF boards they are beyond delusional to their players value. They think Dion is going to return a first, prospect and roster player. They think Kessel will return an elite level prospect and a first. They are in for a wake up call as Dion will be a contract dump and Kessel will not get what they hope for

As I said in another post if Toronto is really on board for a full rebuild, they can take back unwanted crap contracts, which will increase the return they can get on those 2. I think if done right , Dion can get a better return than a contract dump. Same with Kessel, but I'm not sure about HF's dream of elite prospect and first. Maybe late first and a "Sven" like prospect, but not a blue chip "Bennett" type prospect.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #1025
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a Dion fan in the slightest, but I think he gets a first no problem if they retain some of that salary. If they put Dion out there at 5 million a year, they'll get really good offers.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #1026
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

With some Toronto talk in the trade speculation thread, I decided to look around at some rumours and proposals around the web. Wow.

I always thought that Edmonton was the worst fan base for overestimating the value of their players. The weird thing is that Edmonton's administration also overvalues the same way. But Toronto's administration could cut the fan's estimated player value in half and still not be based in reality.

The overwhelming suggested of value and destination for Phil Kessel is Nashville, with a return of Jones, Fiala and a pick. That is beyond insane. Toronto's rebuild is going to go so incredibly badly, if the fans are not on board what will actually happen.

I actually saw a discussion on a Rangers rumour, where the fan's perspective in Toronto was that they should turn down any Rangers offer because they couldn't produce the value of Seth Jones and a 1st.

This next year is going to be Oilers awesome.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:32 PM   #1027
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
With some Toronto talk in the trade speculation thread, I decided to look around at some rumours and proposals around the web. Wow.

I always thought that Edmonton was the worst fan base for overestimating the value of their players. The weird thing is that Edmonton's administration also overvalues the same way. But Toronto's administration could cut the fan's estimated player value in half and still not be based in reality.

The overwhelming suggested of value and destination for Phil Kessel is Nashville, with a return of Jones, Fiala and a pick. That is beyond insane. Toronto's rebuild is going to go so incredibly badly, if the fans are not on board what will actually happen.

I actually saw a discussion on a Rangers rumour, where the fan's perspective in Toronto was that they should turn down any Rangers offer because they couldn't produce the value of Seth Jones and a 1st.

I still remember the days when Oilers fans were positive Gagner would fetch a 1st round pick and he ultimately his return was a player that was bound for waivers/buyout.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #1028
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I still remember the days when Oilers fans were positive Gagner would fetch a 1st round pick and he ultimately his return was a player that was bound for waivers/buyout.
Still remember in 2007 Oilers fans saying they wouldn't trade Gagner straight across for Jarome Iginla. Saying Iginla was old and past his prime (at age 30) and Gagner was a future star.

Funny thing is here we are 8 years later, Iginla is 38 years old and is still a better player than Gagner.

But it's true that Leaves fans are delusional. Saw a fan suggest David Clarkson and Dion Phaneuf for TJ Brodie. True story.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:43 PM   #1029
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Rhett on the Fan the other day wanted to give up Brodie and a 1st for Kessel.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:53 PM   #1030
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Maybe he was just trying to open up a spot for himself?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2015, 02:59 PM   #1031
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't even trade Brodie straight up for that fat man child.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #1032
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That trade would easily make is better today, maaaaayyyyybbee, but terrible in a year or two.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #1033
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Over and over I keep reading "any deal with Nashville begins and ends with Jones. As if a one dimensional winger is some power/trump card Nashville would fall over themselves to get. Seriously, they're the best team in the league, have two franchise dmen (which is really the hardest asset to get) and the best goalie in the league. What exactly is the point in trading the hardest thing to get for a 27 year old one dimensional winger. It's just dumb, dumb, dumb
Old 02-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #1034
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
That trade would easily make is better today, maaaaayyyyybbee, but terrible in a year or two.
Actually, I would say that trade would make us far worse today, and only going downhill from there. Top pair defencemen are far more valuable than one-dimensional wingers. Even if they are exceptional at that one dimension.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2015, 10:11 PM   #1035
Mony
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Still remember in 2007 Oilers fans saying they wouldn't trade Gagner straight across for Jarome Iginla. Saying Iginla was old and past his prime (at age 30) and Gagner was a future star.

Funny thing is here we are 8 years later, Iginla is 38 years old and is still a better player than Gagner.

But it's true that Leaves fans are delusional. Saw a fan suggest David Clarkson and Dion Phaneuf for TJ Brodie. True story.
But 8 points remember?
Old 02-13-2015, 10:18 PM   #1036
BigTuna
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Over and over I keep reading "any deal with Nashville begins and ends with Jones. As if a one dimensional winger is some power/trump card Nashville would fall over themselves to get. Seriously, they're the best team in the league, have two franchise dmen (which is really the hardest asset to get) and the best goalie in the league. What exactly is the point in trading the hardest thing to get for a 27 year old one dimensional winger. It's just dumb, dumb, dumb
Are you calling Seth Jones a Franchise Dman? That's ridiculous.

And call Kessel one-dimensional all you want, he's one of the best offensive players in the world.
BigTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:20 PM   #1037
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
No it isn't. It's a very reasonable projection.

Quote:
And call Kessel one-dimensional all you want, he's one of the best offensive players in the world.
Exactly. That's his dimension. He sucks at everything else.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red John For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2015, 10:23 PM   #1038
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Seth Jones will be a franchise d man, yes

He's one of the best offensive wingers, yup. While he's great at that dimension, it's still only one.

There's not a team on this planet that wouldn't choose Jones over Kessel alone, never mind the throw ins
Old 02-13-2015, 10:32 PM   #1039
BigTuna
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Seth Jones will be a franchise d man, yes

He's one of the best offensive wingers, yup. While he's great at that dimension, it's still only one.

There's not a team on this planet that wouldn't choose Jones over Kessel alone, never mind the throw ins

So the call who is 100% proven at the NHL level and is top 5 in NHL points the last 4 years is just some crappy One-Dimensional winger and Seth Jones is already a franchise D-Man.

Yet you've changed your statement to "Will Be".
BigTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:33 PM   #1040
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So the call who is 100% proven at the NHL level and is top 5 in NHL points the last 4 years is just some crappy One-Dimensional winger and Seth Jones is already a franchise D-Man.

Yet you've changed your statement to "Will Be".
Every NHL GM would take Jones over Kessel.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Red John For This Useful Post:

Tags
kessel's fat face , toronto is no good