Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2021, 07:20 AM   #1
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Economist Ranks Canada 5th in Global Democracy

Edit: full list without paying for the economist, as provided by belsarius below - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index

https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...source=twitter

These ranking are always flawed, but interesting.

Paywall, and full disclosure, I don't have access, so the article could present a very different case than the headline and map plebs like me access.

But from reading the map:

"Full Democracy"
1. Norway - value 9.81
2. Iceland
3. Sweden
4. New Zealand
5. Canada - value - 9.24
6. Finland
7. Denmark
8. Ireland
9. Australia - value 8.96
10. Netherlands
11. Taiwan
12. Switzerland
13. ??? Cannot find Luxembourg
14. Germany
15. Uruguay - surprise to me
16. Britain
17. Chile
18. Austria
19. Costa Rica
23. South Korea

"Flawed Democracy (appears to be values <8.0)"
24. France
25 - USA

Last edited by Mull; 02-17-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 07:23 AM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What? No Lake Bonavista? Sham list.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:40 AM   #3
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

That isn't what Alberta Proud on Facebook has led me to believe!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 07:46 AM   #4
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

#13 is Luxembourg
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 08:48 AM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
That isn't what Alberta Proud on Facebook has led me to believe!!
If anyone was every looking for the cesspool of the internet it is that.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've seen my fair share of stupid lists in my time but this one? This one is something special.

Its not like our Prime Minister has been operating the place like his own personal fiefdom for the past few years...makes one wonder about the state of the countries below us...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 09:02 AM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just probably shows that the state of democracy is in bad shape. Or they basically threw darts at dart boards.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:06 AM   #8
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Wait I thought we'd be even with Venezuela by now??
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:30 AM   #9
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

*#11 is Taiwan, not Tawian

#17 is Chile... what you wrote is a food item
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 09:31 AM   #10
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:33 AM   #11
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

The wiki for the Democracy Index gives more detail without having to pay for the economist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 09:36 AM   #12
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Just probably shows that the state of democracy is in bad shape. Or they basically threw darts at dart boards.
Or maybe it's a fair and accurate representation to be taken as a positive and it's your perception that is wrong?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 09:42 AM   #13
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I've seen my fair share of stupid lists in my time but this one? This one is something special.

Its not like our Prime Minister has been operating the place like his own personal fiefdom for the past few years...makes one wonder about the state of the countries below us...
Quote:
People forgetting that the vast majority of the planet is still under some form of autocracy and Canada is a haven of freedom, nature and human rights, despite obvious problems with all of those things.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:44 AM   #14
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Or maybe it's a fair and accurate representation to be taken as a positive and it's your perception that is wrong?

Lets see a democracy where committee's don't work and are in a constant state of fillibuster, corruption is the name of the day, there's zero transparency, and the best product to sell the government is redaction ink. A democracy where the country's leader rarely shows up for house of commons, his government refuses to answer questions. A democracy where a department loses multiple billions in dollars and projects and refuses to cooperate with the PBO. A democracy where a budget hasn't been released in two years, whereas provinces and other countries still manage to release theirs.

Yeah no, I don't think its accurate unless we can show that those other democracies behind us are even worse.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 09:52 AM   #15
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lets see a democracy where committee's don't work and are in a constant state of fillibuster, corruption is the name of the day, there's zero transparency, and the best product to sell the government is redaction ink. A democracy where the country's leader rarely shows up for house of commons, his government refuses to answer questions. A democracy where a department loses multiple billions in dollars and projects and refuses to cooperate with the PBO. A democracy where a budget hasn't been released in two years, whereas provinces and other countries still manage to release theirs.

Yeah no, I don't think its accurate unless we can show that those other democracies behind us are even worse.
Yeah some accredited publication should put together some type of well-researched chart which takes factors of a healthy democracy and combines them into some type of...index.

Granted I can't see a link to their data/methodology here, which I find strange, but it is The Economist - one of the most trusted and well-recognized publications in the world.

Your personal gripes with the Trudeau government are fine. In most places you'd have no forum to air those grievances without threats to your life/family. In fact, you could even do something as crazy as run a campaign against Trudeau and become Prime Minister yourself, if you wanted to try hard enough.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:54 AM   #16
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #17
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I have relatives that live overseas.

When they hear what Canadian scandals and corruption are they laugh and say "I wish that was our biggest problem!"

I'm not excusing any wrongdoings by any politician or political party, obviously they shouldn't happen.

The WE Scandal was a scandal and rightfully so. But if that's our BIG scandal? We're actually in really good shape.

It's not like a politician incited a coup d'etat killing agents of the state, and then had a partisan acquittal of the failed coup.

It's not like the Leader of the Opposition has been arrested because he opposes the Leader of the Nation.

Again, our scandals SHOULD NOT happen. But we're we're not even small potatoes in comparison, we're basically comparing a drop of water to a nuclear meltdown.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 10:40 AM   #18
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Thank you, going back and forth between the map and here too much I guess

Last edited by Mull; 02-17-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:55 AM   #19
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

I'm sorry, did you actually read the 53 page report and 20ish pages of Appendix explaining how the data is arrived at? Because that's where they show why Canada is where it is and why other countries are where they are. Or are you just shouting at clouds because this doesn't fit the narrative you've constructed in your head?

Here's what the actual report has to say about Canada:
Quote:
Corruption dulls the shine of Canada’s democracy
Canada continues to score highly in the 2020 Democracy Index, thanks to the country’s history of stable, democratic government. Canada’s political participation score rose to its highest level ever in 2020, of 8.89, up from 7.78 in 2019, propelling Canada into the top five countries in the global ranking for the first time.

Growing political engagement in Canada closely mirrored developments in the US. Over threequarters of Canadians were either “very” (38%) or “somewhat” (39%) interested in the November 2020 US presidential election, according to a survey conducted that month by Leger, a local polling firm, and the Association for Canadian Studies, a non-profit. This built on relatively firm levels of political interest in Canada. In September 2019 the Environics Institute, a market research company, reported that a total of 65% of Canadians had either “a lot of” or “some” interest in politics. A poll commissioned by the Canadian Journalism Foundation earlier that year found that 79% of Canadians follow the news “very” or “somewhat” closely.

Coronavirus restrictions led to a deterioration in the functioning of government score in Canada, which fell to 8.93 in 2020, down from 9.64 in 2019, also reflecting a decline in the country’s score for corruption. Canada has slid down the rankings in Transparency International’s annual Corruption Perceptions Index, losing its position among the world’s ten least corrupt countries. In 2020 the Canadian federal government faced pressure over its decision to award a lucrative contract to the WE Charity, which had ties to the families of the prime minister, Justin Trudeau, and the finance minister, Bill Morneau; Mr Morneau resigned shortly after the scandal broke. The matter was investigated by parliament’s ethics commissioner, who already had twice reprimanded Mr Trudeau for separate issues. Canada’s scores for electoral process and pluralism (9.58) and political culture (9.38) were unchanged.

Although the civil liberties score declined slightly, reflecting coronavirus restrictions, it remained above the US score (8.53). Holocaust denial, hate speech and libel laws continue to impair Canada’s tradition of supporting freedom of speech.
Sorry Cap, I find your stance to be just completely partisan nonsense and ridiculously myopic. Democracy is so much more than timely budget releases and instances of corruption. Of course things like corruption and transparency impact the score, but any suggestion that Canada is not one of the most democratic nations in the entire world is embarrassing and shows a total lack of world perspective.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:57 AM   #20
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I'm more intrigued by a country named Chili though. I imagine their 2 main political parties would be Meat and Vegetable.