Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2024, 01:16 PM   #621
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well, to be clear I like this time (DST) and just want to stay here and not revert to standard.
I like it too. But some people see a big incremental value bump from the sun rising at 8:45am in December instead of 9:45am. That's a lottttt of time in the dark to start your day. And on the flip side, low value impact from the sun setting at 4:30 instead of 5:30 in December since they're both early enough to pretty much be "dark all evening".

I'm willing enough to accept their value perspective to suck it up and change twice a year.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:03 PM   #622
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

People focus too much about what happens December and June...the 3-4 weeks on either side of the solstices are pretty extreme no matter what. I care more about the other ~36 weeks in the year. Fall is my favourite season, but even when we have great weather we run out of daylight too soon.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM   #623
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
People focus too much about what happens December and June...the 3-4 weeks on either side of the solstices are pretty extreme no matter what. I care more about the other ~36 weeks in the year. Fall is my favourite season, but even when we have great weather we run out of daylight too soon.
I don’t know how anyone could come to that conclusion. Unless you want to live on a different planet that has 18 hours of sun a day. Why are people so afraid of the dark? It can’t be daylight all the time.

Even in the fall we get around 12 hours of sunlight. How much is enough? It makes me wonder how any CPers travel to anywhere even remotely close to the equator with consistent sunrise and sunset. Do y’all get horrible depression when you go somewhere that “only” gets 12 hours of sunlight per day?

Maybe try living in Calgary in the summer and Santiago in the winter? Beyond that, you’re probably gonna have to deal with some months that have less sun.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 09:14 AM   #624
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think his point is that the discussion around sunlight hours shouldn't focus on the solstice, where an hour in either direction barely matter, and more so on the equinox.

On DST our sun sets around 7:30pm on September 21st. On standard time, it would set at 6:30pm. Personally, I don't mind commuting in the dark and would much rather have the extra daylight after work for activities, so I'm firmly in the leave it as is or DST year round camp.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 09:43 AM   #625
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I don’t know how anyone could come to that conclusion. Unless you want to live on a different planet that has 18 hours of sun a day. Why are people so afraid of the dark? It can’t be daylight all the time.

Even in the fall we get around 12 hours of sunlight. How much is enough? It makes me wonder how any CPers travel to anywhere even remotely close to the equator with consistent sunrise and sunset. Do y’all get horrible depression when you go somewhere that “only” gets 12 hours of sunlight per day?

Maybe try living in Calgary in the summer and Santiago in the winter? Beyond that, you’re probably gonna have to deal with some months that have less sun.
I think it's more of the fact we are so used to all the daylight in the summer months, it's the realization by September that its ending soon when we see it getting dark by 8pm, and knowing it's just going to get less and less from there on out.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 09:50 AM   #626
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
I think his point is that the discussion around sunlight hours shouldn't focus on the solstice, where an hour in either direction barely matter, and more so on the equinox.

On DST our sun sets around 7:30pm on September 21st. On standard time, it would set at 6:30pm. Personally, I don't mind commuting in the dark and would much rather have the extra daylight after work for activities, so I'm firmly in the leave it as is or DST year round camp.
But that’s still a bad idea. Time change is by far the best option.

Having the sunrise an hour later in the winter is not insignificant. Just like that extra hour of sun in September. You can’t just ignore it because it doesn’t support the permanent dst argument.

For all its warts, changing the clocks is far better than any other option.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 09:56 AM   #627
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
For all its warts, changing the clocks is far better than any other option.
Yeah, I agree.

Quote:
so I'm firmly in the leave it as is or DST year round camp.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:00 AM   #628
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with leaving the system as is. Sounds to me like people want max daylight. Seems like the best option is to change the clocks twice a year to accommodate that.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 10:11 AM   #629
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I like to go hunting early in the morning before work in the fall. So I'd much rather have the extra hour of the sun in the morning.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 12:27 PM   #630
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I just really like how much the extra hour of afternoon sunshine has helped melt so much of our snow this past week!

I sure hope I didn't need green text for that.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 01:22 PM   #631
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't care if we are in daylight savings or standard time, just stay in one. I don't want to change my clocks twice every year!! When the time changes, it always confuses my relatives on the other side of the world...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:57 PM   #632
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

With kids walking to school i really value having the clocks change so going to and from school is during daylight in winter.

Even with only 4 or 5 weeks while it's still dark in December and early January it seems there are regular accidents and significant number of near misses that i hear about on the school fb group and from other parents.

For me personally this issue is so far down what is important and needs our attention as a society. I almost think it's a distraction tactic from politicians to keep us away from focusing on significant issues where progress hasn't been made and there is significant impact on thousands to millions of people.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 09:20 PM   #633
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post
With kids walking to school i really value having the clocks change so going to and from school is during daylight in winter.
If only there was some way to solve this particular problem without taking a sledgehammer to 100% of the population's body clock. Whelp, I'm out of ideas.

powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:16 PM   #634
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we had stayed on daylight time year round this year, sunrise in Calgary would have been after 9:00am every day from November 20 to February 9 and as late as 9:40am in the weeks around Christmas.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:17 AM   #635
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
If we had stayed on daylight time year round this year, sunrise in Calgary would have been after 9:00am every day from November 20 to February 9 and as late as 9:40am in the weeks around Christmas.
Yeah, and I’m totally fine with that.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2024, 07:55 AM   #636
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I agree.
I do not.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 08:14 AM   #637
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post

Even with only 4 or 5 weeks while it's still dark in December and early January it seems there are regular accidents and significant number of near misses that i hear about on the school fb group and from other parents.

For me personally this issue is so far down what is important and needs our attention as a society. I almost think it's a distraction tactic from politicians to keep us away from focusing on significant issues where progress hasn't been made and there is significant impact on thousands to millions of people.
Kids walking in the dark is easily solved by adjusting the school schedule. Instead of roughly 8:15 to 2:30 the day can be 9:30 to 3:45. Kids have the added benefit of getting to sleep in a bit and walking in the winter sunshine.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 08:22 AM   #638
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Daylight Saving Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I like to go hunting early in the morning before work in the fall. So I'd much rather have the extra hour of the sun in the morning.

“Standard time helps satisfy my desire to kill before heading into the office.”

Could just bottle that feeling up like the rest of us.
Brendone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2024, 11:46 AM   #639
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Kids walking in the dark is easily solved by adjusting the school schedule. Instead of roughly 8:15 to 2:30 the day can be 9:30 to 3:45. Kids have the added benefit of getting to sleep in a bit and walking in the winter sunshine.
I have no real issue with that. But what about parents' schedules that don't change? Who's caring for the young children when the parents are at work but before it's light out?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 12:02 PM   #640
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I have no real issue with that. But what about parents' schedules that don't change? Who's caring for the young children when the parents are at work but before it's light out?
The same people that currently care for kids when parents are at work. Pretty much no working parents has a schedule that lines up with their child's school schedule especially with half day Fridays and all the random days off.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote