Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #3601
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Mango, my wife is about as pro-feminist as you can be and she couldn't believe how big of an ass Serena made herself out to be while at the same time feeling that Naomi was robbed of a joyous occasion.
I missed much of this debacle but having now caught up I have to say it is completely embarrassing how Serena behaved and to then blame it on Sexism makes it even worse. What a completely unfair destruction of a very well deserved win for an up and coming player like Osaka by the supposed queen of the sport.

To then not even own up to it and make bogus excuses that a man would walk away unscathed after a blatant coaching violation, pressing the issue past the point of reason, then destroying a racquet, berating and threatening an umpire of his livelihood is disgusting.

I was never a fan of Serena's but now that indifference has turned to full on despise after that completely classless display. Hurry up and retire so we can all forget about you as soon as possible .
Old 09-10-2018, 04:12 PM   #3602
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

When your caught in a lie, its best to drop the subject. There's no doubt that the coach was coaching her, therefore she was basically cheating. to bring in her child to try to make the official apologize was pretty crass too.

Serena acted like a completely spoiled brat, but everything there was pretty much by the rules.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 09-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #3603
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
When your caught in a lie, its best to drop the subject.
Or, you take a lesson from Donald Trump: continue to lie, then lie some more, create a new reality, insist that you're the real victim here and that you've done nothing wrong and you're the best and no one should criticize you. Then have some talking heads go out and support that position with a straight face.

Easy!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #3604
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah I was hoping not to have the Trump infection spread to a tennis thread, I mean I hate that guy enough right now, no need to add to it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 09-10-2018, 10:17 PM   #3605
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

Way too much outage on the Serena cartoon. It's completely satirical but yet, it always find a way to become something that involves race and gender.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:04 PM   #3606
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, giving her giant lips the way he did is pretty racist.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #3607
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know what was more offensive about that cartoon, the grotesque features on Serena or portraying Naomi as a blonde, white woman. Just way over the line.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #3608
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isner is not playing as he's about to become a father (wife is due to deliver any day now).

https://twitter.com/user/status/1039527549301211136
Old 09-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #3609
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada vs. The Netherlands starting Friday - Sportsnet One to carry all matches.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1039520836741287936
Old 09-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #3610
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
I don't know what was more offensive about that cartoon, the grotesque features on Serena or portraying Naomi as a blonde, white woman. Just way over the line.
Was it supposed to be Naomi and Ramos in particular, or just "tennis player and ref"? Based on the only other cartoon of his I've seen (which was Kyrgios with giant ears) he tends to... er... exaggerate features when he's drawing someone specific.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #3611
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

That cartoon is vile!
Old 09-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #3612
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Was it supposed to be Naomi and Ramos in particular, or just "tennis player and ref"? Based on the only other cartoon of his I've seen (which was Kyrgios with giant ears) he tends to... er... exaggerate features when he's drawing someone specific.
I think his intentions were pretty clear that it was his depiction of what transpired during the US Open final including the main players.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #3613
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice win for Rebecca Marino earlier today at the WTA tourney in Quebec as she defeated Tatjana Maria (currently ranked #62 in singles) 6-2 6-2
Old 09-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #3614
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Finally watched some of the video of this fiasco. Boy, she really made it all about her, hey? Yikes.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #3615
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tennis officials are quite disturbed by the lack of support for Ramos for just doing his job.

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/i...e-carlos-ramos

Quote:
"The umpiring fraternity is thoroughly disturbed at being abandoned by the WTA," Richard Ings, a retired, elite Gold Badge umpire told ESPN.com on Tuesday. "They are all fearful that they could be the next Ramos. They feel that no one has their back when they have to make unpopular calls."
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #3616
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Felix update - Going through the paces with Shapo:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1039615575054528512
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #3617
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Tennis officials are quite disturbed by the lack of support for Ramos for just doing his job.

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/i...e-carlos-ramos
Ramos has been assigned as one of the umpires for the US - Croatia Davis Cup tie this weekend in Zadar, Croatia.

The chair umpire who penalized Serena Williams a game in the U.S. Open final has been assigned to officiate the Davis Cup semifinal matches between the United States and Croatia, The Associated Press has learned.

International Tennis Federation spokeswoman Heather Bowles confirmed to the AP on Tuesday that Carlos Ramos was chosen to work at the best-of-five series between the countries that begins Friday and concludes Sunday in Zadar, Croatia.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/tennis/us-o...tia-davis-cup/
Old 09-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #3618
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1039662086073114624
Old 09-11-2018, 09:06 PM   #3619
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I mean, giving her giant lips the way he did is pretty racist.
Maybe. My mom bluntly summed up this Serena situation pretty well, like she usually does. She said, "I wish black people would stop doing stuff to make people hate us more." My mom's a big sports and it pained me to see how disappointed she is in Serena over this.

Over the last few days, to see the racist stuff about Serena in various places... it hurts. I'm enough of a grown man that I can sufficiently not care, but it never doesn't hurt. But Serena needs to also not be a goddamn idiot and stop giving people what they believe to be validation to be racist.

I guess I'm trying to say I'm as furious at Serena as the rest of you, but maybe for slightly different reasons.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #3620
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first three matches for the Canada - Holland Davis Cup tie this weekend are as follows:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1040280041832103936
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread