Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2024, 08:01 PM   #41
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the 90s X-men cartoon a few years ago and I thought it held up pretty well. Looking forward to this one.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM   #42
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

My 6 year old and I have been re watching the original series, we are on season 4 now. We didn't wait to finish it to watch the new ones, but the one trailer gives away that Xavier dies so he understood that part.

I was very pleasantly surprised by just how nostalgic the new series was. They didn't try to shy away from anything really, even right down to Cyclops "...not" line lol

I also felt like the action scenes were updated appropriately. Looking forward to seeing what they do with the rest.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:56 AM   #43
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, I feel like that needed to be more than one episode. Pretty rushed.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 12:33 PM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
No thanks. Really, we need this show to hit Top Gear and frankly, Jean Grey and Cyclops are just the worst characters. Just the worst.

Spoiler!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 02:24 PM   #45
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just worried about pacing, and really hoping they don't speedrun through all the source material they've got to work with, given that they only got ten episodes for the season... The old show, as far as I recall given how long ago it was, was happy to do multi-episode story arcs for things. In that, Prior goes from Jean to insane to evil to reformed to normal person in the span of 30 minutes. That whole episode should have been about finding out what's going on and who's behind it and ENDED with her going nuts and turning evil. Then the whole next episode they reform her, fight sinister and rescue the kid etc.

I did enjoy Morph giving us the Magik / Darkchylde cameo.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 03-27-2024, 09:23 PM   #46
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Rewatching the old episodes over Christmas, the thing that really impressed me was how fast they moved from storyline to storyline, and how they laid the seeds for another storyline 2-3 episodes in advance.

It wouldn't be terrible to see them do some multi part arcs, but I was pretty happy to see they could keep the story pace up so high like the days of old Saturday morning cartoons.

No worry about running out of source material. The depth of source material is almost infinite for them, even the character bench is so much deeper than we realize. I just wish they could avoid the 1 key mistake everyone keeps begging the MCU to make, leave the dead dead. But it already seems they aren't going that way.

Last edited by #-3; 03-27-2024 at 09:25 PM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 10:00 PM   #47
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just caught up on the first 2 episodes, so good!
Won't be able to get to episode 3 tonight but I'm enjoying this a lot so far.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 10:05 PM   #48
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
No worry about running out of source material.
I'm not worried about them running out, I'm worried more about them rushing through things because they have so much they want to put on the screen that they don't give the storylines they select enough time to play out at a reasonable pace.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
#-3
Old 03-28-2024, 11:25 AM   #49
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not worried about them running out, I'm worried more about them rushing through things because they have so much they want to put on the screen that they don't give the storylines they select enough time to play out at a reasonable pace.
Yeah, I had no problem with them moving into the Goblin Queen stuff so quickly, it was sorta an Order 66 thing. But the way Sinster wasn't in episode much and they kinda just yada yada's the techno virus so Nathan can go to the future and be Cable was a bit rushed imo.

Also, was Bishop stuck in the past at the end of the OG series? I don't remember that.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:48 AM   #50
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
My guess is that the end of the season will end on a cliffhanger for:

Spoiler!

So they need to get through a fair bit in terms of establishing the roles of various characters and time periods in setting that up.

I do agree that the Madelyn Prior arc felt extremely rushed though. Here's a baby...oh no the mother's a clone...Scott seem to immediately disown the mother....then the mother is bad...then they defeat her...then the baby is sick and needs to go into the future, which Beast was conveniently already working on a solution for Bishop for.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:37 PM   #51
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loving it. I don't mind the pace it's moving at. I'd rather it moves quick than has a bunch of filler of Jubilee at the mall or Nathan making a mess with his baby food or whatever. I recall the older version moving pretty fast too.

Also there's a whole pack of previous episodes, it's not like it's really a "new" show. They probably could have left Prior evil for longer though.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:43 PM   #52
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

It's got the same pacing as the 90s cartoon. It's just been a long time since we've had the regularly contained episodic format.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 02:13 PM   #53
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
It's got the same pacing as the 90s cartoon. It's just been a long time since we've had the regularly contained episodic format.
Anyone know how many episodes this season is slated for?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-28-2024, 02:20 PM   #54
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

10 is the gold standard these days, so with no research or thought I will say 10.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 03-28-2024, 02:21 PM   #55
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
10 episodes for the first season. Seasons 2 and 3 are already in development though.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:23 PM   #56
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
10 episodes for the first season. Seasons 2 and 3 are already in development though.

#nailedit

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 02:29 PM   #57
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
10 is the gold standard these days, so with no research or thought I will say 10.
I'm just doing my TNG re-watch...what happened to the Good Old Days of 26 Episode seasons?

And the actors and writers are complaining! You want more money for less than half the work? Boo-urns I say!

Old 03-28-2024, 02:32 PM   #58
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
I'm just doing my TNG re-watch...what happened to the Good Old Days of 26 Episode seasons?

I think part of it is how writing and story telling has changed. Shows, especially on streaming networks, are more like a long movie than an episodic television show.

It also allows actors to work on multiple projects. In the old days actors would regularly lose out on roles because of commitments/being unable to commit to the 20+ episodes of a TV series.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 02:40 PM   #59
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

And the actors and writers are complaining! You want more money for less than half the work? Boo-urns I say!
These episodes are 33 minutes long vs the 22ish, minus commercial breaks, you'd out of most saturday morning cartoons. The original series had 13, 13, 19, 21, and 10 episodes per season...10 isn't so bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 03:19 PM   #60
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Seasons 1 and 2 were planned out by the showrunner

The same showrunner that was fired just before Disney aired the series due to inappropriate behavior Disney wanted to disassociate from (he had an Only Fans or something).

I wonder how much the current show's storyline and pacing has to do with him and how it could change.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote