Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2024, 10:20 PM   #101
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Maybe true but when that goalie plays 20 games that can be the difference between making the playoffs or not.

I think Vladar has all the tools but can't put it together. Would rather they get rid of him or hire an experienced goalie coach to work with him.

I know some people don't believe goalie coaches matter but I think they can help.
You know what matters?

Having a legitimate NHL D corps and F group in front of you.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 10:21 PM   #102
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EN FUEGO View Post
Who wants to pay $$ for years on end to see a time get beat by 4-5 goals a night? If Kipper didn't come along how would that last rebuild have worked out? My wife was commenting on all the empty seats tonight in the latter half of the game. I'm not trying to be dramatic, but I remember the dark times too well I guess. Anyway, I'm grateful to have a forum like CP in times like these at least.
It actually took our last rebuild one season (if you consider the Iginla trade the start) before we were back in playoffs, and we even won a round. This didn’t signal the end of the rebuild but it was fun hockey and more meaningful than anything the last two seasons.

Building was full, team was fun to watch and we got back in playoffs quickly.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:23 PM   #103
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
You know what matters?

Yes and Flames have had that last 2 years wouldn't you say?

They have played with this new d core for what 4 games now?

Vladar is going on 2 years now where he has bottom 5 stats for goalies in the entire NHL.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 10:24 PM   #104
EN FUEGO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
It’s crazy that a non playoff team trading UFA’s who turned down extensions is even considered selling. Everywhere else in the league but Murrayville it’s just common sense

They did everything in their power to not sell
I have no issue with the trades made this season, that's just common sense asset management.

My issue is with cheering for losses and a full on rebuild. Those years prior to 04 were soul sucking on me because I bleed Flames hockey like everyone else here.

I have serious doubts the fan base will give the necessary support if it takes the better part of a decade to get back in the playoffs again, but I'll do my part and buy tickets when I'm in town.

EN FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EN FUEGO For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 10:24 PM   #105
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
Lots of bad habits these last two games. Regardless of winning or losing it would be nice to see them play hard.
Yeah that's why you keep some vets around. Otherwise your rebuild goes like the Oilers, or the Sabres
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Delthefunky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 10:26 PM   #106
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Are you a season ticket holder?
I have split before but I don’t live in Calgary anymore. Will absolutely be in the future

If ticket sales bomb I think it’s because we’ve done everything to avoid a needed rebuild in exchange for chasing .500 hockey for too long. Calgary is a massive hockey city and the educated fans know the team isn’t winning. Hard to get excited for sporadic wins and an off chance at a first round exit
Old 03-12-2024, 10:26 PM   #107
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

May be next year will be bad for ticket sales. But if the team competes hard there won't be too many blow out games.
People will support hard working team.
After that the team will sell a future hope for fans.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:27 PM   #108
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
You know what matters?

It might be out of reach but I thought the Flames would have a bottom 5 finish once Tanev and Hanifin were gone. I think they will be a bottom 5 team in wins over the remainder of the season though.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:35 PM   #109
EN FUEGO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It actually took our last rebuild one season (if you consider the Iginla trade the start) before we were back in playoffs, and we even won a round. This didn’t signal the end of the rebuild but it was fun hockey and more meaningful than anything the last two seasons.

Building was full, team was fun to watch and we got back in playoffs quickly.
I hear where you're coming from, and appreciate the optimism.

The trend of players who don't want to re-sign here is not likely going to improve IMO, and is obviously making Conroy's task more difficult.

EN FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:35 PM   #110
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I legit don't understand people who come on to CP to tap dance on the grave of the 2023-24 Flames season.

Some people are never happy.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:36 PM   #111
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have split before but I don’t live in Calgary anymore. Will absolutely be in the future

If ticket sales bomb I think it’s because we’ve done everything to avoid a needed rebuild in exchange for chasing .500 hockey for too long. Calgary is a massive hockey city and the educated fans know the team isn’t winning. Hard to get excited for sporadic wins and an off chance at a first round exit
Yeah, not a slight but I figured. Hard to fork over 4k to watch terrible hockey especially when everyone is getting hit with inflation.
Calgary isn’t really a die hard hockey city, there are a lot of entertainment options and the Flames are only a draw when they are good. Most people want to go to a game where the home team has a good chance to win.
I think the Flames badly needed a rebuild but I also don’t think these ‘educated’ fans will show up to keep the dome full during it.
Thankfully the dynamics are different from the era where they almost moved.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:39 PM   #112
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Maybe true but when that goalie plays 20 games that can be the difference between making the playoffs or not.

I think Vladar has all the tools but can't put it together. Would rather they get rid of him or hire an experienced goalie coach to work with him.

I know some people don't believe goalie coaches matter but I think they can help.
Im not sure anyone here us qualified to determine how good our goalie coach is or isnt
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:43 PM   #113
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, not a slight but I figured. Hard to fork over 4k to watch terrible hockey especially when everyone is getting hit with inflation.
Calgary isn’t really a die hard hockey city, there are a lot of entertainment options and the Flames are only a draw when they are good. Most people want to go to a game where the home team has a good chance to win.
I think the Flames badly needed a rebuild but I also don’t think these ‘educated’ fans will show up to keep the dome full during it.
This is a very good post. The one part I wonder about/hope you’re right is the dynamics being different. I’m not convinced of that
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:43 PM   #114
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I legit don't understand people who come on to CP to tap dance on the grave of the 2023-24 Flames season.

Some people are never happy.
Im happy they have enough time to lose their way into the top 10. Ifnyou thought some miracle playoff run was incoming you were delusional.

The 23-24 season isnt in the grave yet for me. Jeep dropping down the standings!
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:46 PM   #115
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree. Calgary is a diehard hockey city it just doesn’t translate to the Flames like other markets. But when they win it sure does, .500 hockey simply doesn’t count and the strategy of “get in and see what happens” has become tired.

But this is a city that packed the dome last year just to watch Bedard play junior. They love hockey as much as anywhere. Hockey is religion here
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 10:52 PM   #116
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course I will renew my season tix.

It’s what I do.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 10:53 PM   #117
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree. Calgary is a diehard hockey city it just doesn’t translate to the Flames like other markets. But when they win it sure does, .500 hockey simply doesn’t count and the strategy of “get in and see what happens” has become tired.

But this is a city that packed the dome last year just to watch Bedard play junior. They love hockey as much as anywhere. Hockey is religion here
Bedard 5 points tonight. It’s just not fair.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:53 PM   #118
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Yep
Of course the dome is packed for 1 $25 ticket a year. You just answered my concern. 2 or 3 years of 6-2 losses means 8 or 9 thousand $100 empty seats that gets scary fast here
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to All In Good Time For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 10:55 PM   #119
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by 3rd liner; 03-13-2024 at 09:31 AM.
3rd liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:56 PM   #120
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EN FUEGO View Post
I have no issue with the trades made this season, that's just common sense asset management.

My issue is with cheering for losses and a full on rebuild. Those years prior to 04 were soul sucking on me because I bleed Flames hockey like everyone else here.

I have serious doubts the fan base will give the necessary support if it takes the better part of a decade to get back in the playoffs again, but I'll do my part and buy tickets when I'm in town.
You are wrong and catastrophizing. Most people who care about this team will endure short term pain for long term gain. We want elite prospects. It doesn't have to take a decade, the sooner the bottom drops out the better. But if you're already emotionally overwrought you aren't being realistic about how this team gets better.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post: