Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2018, 02:08 PM   #281
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw Suspiria remake and I LOVED it! It's my 2nd favorite horror film of the hear behind Hereditary. It is very different from the original and tells its own story. If your into horror films this is a must watch.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #282
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I never thought that Voldemort and his crew were ever a credible threat to the muggle world, in their hubris, it seems like the wizarding world had very little grasp of the size, ruthlessness and tech of the muggle world. I kept thinking things like "these guys are going to #### their pants when they find out what napalm is" and "will Voldemort have any answers for a sniper bullet from 2 km away?"
This is amusing, but magic subverts the laws of nature in myriad ways, while muggles are chained to science and the laws of nature to complete their tasks. Pretty sure Voldemort could do anything he wanted since he can alter the very governing laws of the world around him with magic.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #283
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Saw Suspiria remake and I LOVED it! It's my 2nd favorite horror film of the hear behind Hereditary. It is very different from the original and tells its own story. If your into horror films this is a must watch.
I saw this with some friends last weekend. I had never heard of the original and I'm not a big horror fan, but my friends are and I was feeling down for something different.

I really enjoyed it. Some unsettling and hard to watch scenes, and there were a couple times I felt they broke the illusion a bit in a few ways, but overall a very fine piece of film making. Would recommend to basically anyone but my dad lol.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #284
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

"that the girl from the first movie seemed to have slept with the other main characters"

Uh, I didn't get that impression, especially not from the first movie.

At the end she's in a relationship with one of the two main characters.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #285
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The first movie was not well put together, and stole a lot of the plot points from more coherent sources. If it was meant to be directed at children, then they were extremely successful at that, and good for them.

The last movie played kind of like Twilight. It kind of eliminated my desire to see how they got from point A to point B.

What I am kind of interested in, is why it became such a phenomena amongst adults. I kind of get that if you came into the world building with no frame of reference, it could grab your attention. Are the majority of fans people who didn't watch or read much fantasy, pre-GOT, LOTR ect.?

I kind of have a hunch that the fan base is built much the way that soap opera fan bases are. Becoming very involved in the nuances of each character, so much so that everything else becomes inconsequential.

Star Wars was built much the same way, only the initial film, and overall storytelling ability seemed to be stronger. The two franchises are trending in opposite paths though, as SW fans are rebelling and HP fans are willing to just go with whatever comes.
The popularity of the movies was built on the global phenomenon of the books. It wasn't the film franchise the bolstered the books. The movies are decent representations for the the most part, but they aren't why Harry Potter is what it is. And a lot of people from my age group became LOTR fans because Harry Potter introduced us to fantasy and really reading in general.

HP hit an interesting sweet spot where it landed with a bunch of kids who were the same age group as the main characters and then was able to grow the stories along side the audience from childlike magic into a full mythology.

The first two movies are not very good and if you have interest at all I recommend at least getting to the 4th or 5th movie before deciding whether or not you like the world. Honestly, as usual, the books are obviously much more immersive.

I just find your stance weird. It'd be like if I watched the 1st half of the Fellowship, then the last half of Return of the King and my takeaway was: I don't why people like Lord of the Rings at all, just not good story telling. So they leave on this quest and then these random eagles do all the work. That dirty woodsman became the king just because, and that small dude had to leave his boyfriend behind and leave in a boat?
Old 11-19-2018, 04:43 PM   #286
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

The themes in Harry Potter are such pervasive children and young adult literature themes that it's IMO a bit unfair to criticize HP for them. If one were to write a YA book, the first question to ask why the same themes and plot points that run through most YA fiction from Brother's Grimm to Narnia to HP to Wildwood to Hunger Games. The fact is these there are strongly resonant themes that are part of the genre, and it would be silly to ignore them. Like hooks in popular music, we get a little psychological response when stories hit plot points that we may or may not have been anticipating but which we subconsciously recognize from other stories.
When I start watching a movie in which the child has absent parents, and the child is a misfit in their world, and then something happens that force them out of their environment into a different world (and there are literally dozens of movies that start out like that), my mind is already set up for a whole bunch of themes and plot-points. It's best if some of these are rewarded and some of these are subverted, but everything is done with an awareness of those expectations.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:08 AM   #287
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw Ralph Breaks the Internet. Good stuff, quite enjoyable. A bit heavier than the first, and not QUITE as good, but still a very good movie.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #288
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
What I am kind of interested in, is why it became such a phenomena amongst adults. I kind of get that if you came into the world building with no frame of reference, it could grab your attention. Are the majority of fans people who didn't watch or read much fantasy, pre-GOT, LOTR ect.?
It's because they were once children? The first book came out in 1997, aimed at 80 kids, early 90 kids who grew up with the stories. Those children are now 25-40 year old adults.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:37 AM   #289
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
No, I've written many a diatribe about the flaws of Harry Potter as my kids are huge fans.

The fact of the matter in a nutshell is that Hogwarts is the worst Wizarding school there is, their students suck and their faculty is complete crap.

They were given 1 job.

"The evil Wizard wants to kill this kid. Dont let him. Also, maybe teach him something about Magic while you're at it."

And Harry Potter is the worst. I'd let the little bastard die. If that Granger person wasnt around the entire series could've been wrapped up in about 20 minutes.

Shes the real hero.

Harry Potter is bad and they should feel bad about being as bad as they are.
I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and I have to agree with you completely on this. No safer place my a**.

But as others have said her. It's all about the world. Same as most fantasy stories. Places that you wished existed. No different than GOT or LOTR.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #290
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and I have to agree with you completely on this. No safer place my a**.

But as others have said her. It's all about the world. Same as most fantasy stories. Places that you wished existed. No different than GOT or LOTR.
A bus station in Croyden at midnight would have been safer.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #291
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Once upon a time there was a boy wizard, who attended and graduated school with a 'C' average and married his best mate's sister. The End.

Less exciting, but statistically more likely.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #292
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I watched two awful movies last week:

Colossal: This movie was bad and the filmmakers should feel bad. Pretty much every single character was unlikeable and an interesting plot was always driven down the worst possible roads. Just a complete waste... it felt like it was written by a 17-year-old drama student with a healthy dose of angst.

Kings: Halle Berry and Daniel Craig team up in a movie based smack dab in the middle of the Rodney King LA riots? At worst, it should be an interesting look at a time that doesn't seem to get referenced a whole bunch anymore in pop culture. Yeah, I was wrong.

This movie wasn't about ANYTHING. I couldn't tell if it was about Berry's family, the relationship between Berry and Craig, a statement about the riots... at the end it was a hollow look at nothing.

sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #293
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Christopher Robin is a beautiful story. Had forgotten how much I loved those characters. Pooh is such.. a silly old bear.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LWcrowfoot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #294
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I actually liked Colossal, I thought that the intent was for pretty much all the characters to be unlikeable. But I loved the premise of it. I also thought the cast performances were really strong.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #295
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peppermint: Good little revenge flick. A bit of swiss cheese in plot development but easy to get past since the action was quite good. Pissed off soccer mom gets her revenge. Good take. Open for a sequel too.

Mile 22: Man Peter Berg has laid some stinkers and this was one of them. always like his work from The Kingdom to Friday Night Lights to Deepwater Horizon and Lone Survivor. This one was just an excuse to have Mark Walberg get all angry and high pitched and screaming the whole time. Pretty awful. Some of the action was good but it also was a rip off of some pretty good movies.

The Nun I liked it, it made me squeemish once or twice from the anticipation of seeing that demon. But I also feel they missed a glorious opportunity to really make something truly frightful that could stand out. A bit more depth into the history of their location and those that built it would have been huge. And I do think they missed having James Wan paint the picture here. Some clever tie ins to the franchise as well.

Mission Impossible episode 103245: Just as good as the rest of the franchise, Tom Cruise does his stunts thing, decent story. I had fun. Still, the first one was the best.

The Meg: Loved it, they knew what it was, they didn't bother to complicate it with the science of how it survived as it was just more a way to introduce it to this world. Great time waster of a movie. Definitely in the so bad its good ballpark. but not sharknado bad.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #296
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

My girlfriend and I saw Fantastic Beasts last night, and here is my two-sentence review.

In the first act, Grindlewald has a toddler murdered. In the recent Halloween remake, Michael Myers has the opportunity to murder an infant in its crib and does not.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #297
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
My girlfriend and I saw Fantastic Beasts last night, and here is my two-sentence review.

In the first act, Grindlewald has a toddler murdered. In the recent Halloween remake, Michael Myers has the opportunity to murder an infant in its crib and does not.

So..the new Halloween sucks is what you’re saying?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #298
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Peppermint: Good little revenge flick. A bit of swiss cheese in plot development but easy to get past since the action was quite good. Pissed off soccer mom gets her revenge. Good take. Open for a sequel too.

Mile 22: Man Peter Berg has laid some stinkers and this was one of them. always like his work from The Kingdom to Friday Night Lights to Deepwater Horizon and Lone Survivor. This one was just an excuse to have Mark Walberg get all angry and high pitched and screaming the whole time. Pretty awful. Some of the action was good but it also was a rip off of some pretty good movies.

The Nun I liked it, it made me squeemish once or twice from the anticipation of seeing that demon. But I also feel they missed a glorious opportunity to really make something truly frightful that could stand out. A bit more depth into the history of their location and those that built it would have been huge. And I do think they missed having James Wan paint the picture here. Some clever tie ins to the franchise as well.

Mission Impossible episode 103245: Just as good as the rest of the franchise, Tom Cruise does his stunts thing, decent story. I had fun. Still, the first one was the best.

The Meg: Loved it, they knew what it was, they didn't bother to complicate it with the science of how it survived as it was just more a way to introduce it to this world. Great time waster of a movie. Definitely in the so bad its good ballpark. but not sharknado bad.
Peppermint is underrated. It was a good little revenge flick.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:44 AM   #299
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

So.. 'brutal'? Lol.
I do find that amusing. Johnny Depp is one sinister mother####er to make MM look like he is sympathetic to human kind.

I thought it was better than the first. But I was so apathetic to the first that it isn't saying much. They're trying to get us invested in a new little universe that happens to include a handsome Jude Law Dumbledore. Except us already knowing the fate of Dumbledore is kind of killing the stakes of the whole "great one" wizard vs bad wizards stuff.

I feel like we needed an explanation of the magical spells being used, as I was confused as to what I was watching sometimes. Meanwhile Johnny Deppdewald is casting giant blue flames everywhere that are seemingly indestructible, and sometimes lethal but sometimes not? I suppose it's safest to just focus on the characters and their interactions, and that's where you're going to be most rewarded probably.

Not going to get too much into the questioning of HP and why it was ever a hit. All I'd say is read the 7 book series and it'll become obvious to you why people borderline obsessed and still do. I'm the same age as Daniel and the main kids, and grew up with the books. Got to see these characters enacted in real life and literally grow up with them, with all the angsty teenage themes that were as much a draw as the Voldemort stuff. So it's impossible to feel like you don't strongly relate to them and get a little invested. Even though I thought some of the movies didn't do the greatest job of putting the superior source material to screen how I would've liked to have seen it in, they did a pretty decent job still. The movie I felt was the closest in replicating the book on screen how it was written was the chamber of secrets.

Anyway, everybody go see Widows. That movie was so overlooked in the release of FB2. It's awesome and oscar worthy stuff. The guy from Get Out is going to give me and any one who does see it nightmares now. Like holy ####.

Last edited by djsFlames; 11-23-2018 at 05:51 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #300
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Watched Pacific Rim Uprising last night.

Not great or very interesting.

Even the effects looked way too video gameish.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote