Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2021, 03:17 PM   #41
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Maybe it's callous, but no more callous than exactly zero people caring about all the people we actually know who sell their physical health for a pittance just to pay their bills to keep our world turning. If Tiger's job was ruining his health he had the means to stop at any time, so his wealth is absolutely relevant.

He also had the means to employ nutritionists, physiotherapists, doctors, and trainers, and also the money to take however much time off he needed to get well. The guy who jackhammered my old concrete patio, then spread gravel, then poured a new pad at my house last year didn't have those options. He had/has to stay in the grind until his body gives out and he'll potentially retire infirm, with limited opportunities to enjoy life, and without the cushion money provides. That's sad. Tiger pushing his luck by ignoring physical problems and exacerbating them by continuing on despite injuries is just foolish. It's not sad. And if he wrecked his car in a single-vehicle accident due to drugs, it's especially not sad; it's maddening.
My original post you replied to wasn't about giving him pity. I was basically saying the same thing, that he really should have quit earlier. The sad comment was just me as a selfish golf fan coming to realize that is the end of his playing career.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 03:19 PM   #42
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
My original post you replied to wasn't about giving him pity. I was basically saying the same thing, that he really should have quit earlier. The sad comment was just me as a selfish golf fan coming to realize that is the end of his playing career.
Oh I'm sorry. I misread it.

And you know what, it is sad at the end of the day. He's really tarnished his legacy with super weird shenanigans.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:27 PM   #43
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Seemed like he was finding a bit of a calling in his kids and teaching them golf.
Still kind of golfie though, kind of makes my point for me
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:04 PM   #44
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I always got the sense with Wood's that he has no clue what else to do, that his life was always just Golf and then filling in time until he played more Golf
For several years he got intensely into Navy Seal training. To the point of obsession. It was responsible for a couple serious injuries, including a torn ACL.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...rl-woods-death

He didn’t have much of a life except golf through his 20s. But he rebelled and sought out other distractions in his 30s.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 02-23-2021 at 04:06 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 04:22 PM   #45
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lol, the reporters at the press conference for the accident are dumb and keep asking the same questions
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:07 PM   #46
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tiger ended up in the woods.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 06:04 PM   #47
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
For several years he got intensely into Navy Seal training. To the point of obsession. It was responsible for a couple serious injuries, including a torn ACL.

He didn’t have much of a life except golf through his 20s. But he rebelled and sought out other distractions in his 30s.
He trained with the Seals for a week in the beginning. His dad felt Tiger was either going to be a golfer or a Seals so Tiger decided to test it out. At the end of the week they all went out for dinner. When the server asked who she should give the check to, the place went silent. After a few long minutes one of the Seals said seperate checks please! The Seals were pissed that Tiger didn't pick up the check.

Quote:
Not all of the SEALs took kindly to Tiger, however, feeling that he wanted to play soldier without any of the real-life unpleasantness. An episode in a diner also left a bad taste in their collective mouth.

“There’s the story of the lunch, which spread throughout the Naval Special Warfare community,” Thompson wrote. “Guys still tell it, almost a decade later. Tiger and a group of five or six went to a diner in La Posta. The waitress brought the check and the table went silent, according to two people there that day. Nobody said anything and neither did Tiger, and the other guys sort of looked at one another.”

Eventually, one of the SEALs asked the waitress for separate checks.

“We are all baffled,” says one SEAL, a veteran of numerous combat deployments. “We are sitting there with Tiger f—ing Woods, who probably makes more than all of us combined in a day. He’s shooting our ammo, taking our time. He’s a weird f—ing guy. That’s weird s–t. Something’s wrong with you.”
https://www.sportscasting.com/tiger-...ck-up-the-tab/
Old 02-23-2021, 06:21 PM   #48
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Navy Seals sounds like entitled pricks.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 06:26 PM   #49
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyway, the guy's life has seen its extreme ups and downs. From an athletic perspective, you really wish certain guys could play out their careers without injuries. There are a lot of what ifs with great players in any sport.

As for this situation, you hope it's not prescription related and he makes a recovery when it's all done. I heard the brief snippet from the press conference where they said there was no blood test administered as there was no indication he was impaired, but given his past issue, and the circumstances, would it have hurt for the police to do a blood test? I'm not out for blood or social justice, but with little indicators to say someone else caused it in broad daylight, it seems like an odd choice to bypass that. Anyway, I hope for the best as a human, and hope he gets a driver from now on (in both ways).
Old 02-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #50
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
After reading the story, picking up one lousy cheque for a dinner for a bunch of serviceman making peanuts doesn't seem like a lot to ask. Especially after all the time and effort they donated to him so he could indulge in his soldier fantasy. He comes off looking pretty bad and he should, that's epic cheapskate territory right there.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #51
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree. I get that the guy makes a lot of money but really, he's not obligated in any way to pick up your tab.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 07:23 PM   #52
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
After reading the story, picking up one lousy cheque for a dinner for a bunch of serviceman making peanuts doesn't seem like a lot to ask. Especially after all the time and effort they donated to him so he could indulge in his soldier fantasy. He comes off looking pretty bad and he should, that's epic cheapskate territory right there.

I think that's one way of looking at it. Or he could also be chilling with them giving them a full day of lifetime stories to tell to their families about the day they hung out with Tiger. Also, they talk like they paid for the ammo. F that. They sound like bsers. They probably talked big and ordered the most expensive things on the menu. I'm with Tiger on this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 07:31 PM   #53
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I agree. I get that the guy makes a lot of money but really, he's not obligated in any way to pick up your tab.
That's not how you treat a group of Seals who offered to let you train with them and learn about their way of life. The only entitled prick in that siuation was Tiger Woods.

Quote:
THEY'RE NOT WRONG, not exactly, but the SEALs are also viewing Tiger through their own pre-existing idea of how a superstar should act, so his behavior processes as arrogant and selfish. That reaction has colored Tiger's relationships his entire life: People who meet him for 30 seconds love him, and people who spend several hours with him think he's aloof and weird, while people who hang around long enough to know him end up both loving him and being oddly protective. His truest self is shy, awkward and basically well-intentioned, as unsuited for life in public as he is suited for hitting a ball.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:34 PM   #54
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think it's appropriate to bring up stories of his perceived cheapness in a thread about the crash that did happen today. He is an imperfect human just like the rest of us. If you want to slog Tiger, I'm sure there are many golf forums where you could do so.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 07:40 PM   #55
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I think that's one way of looking at it. Or he could also be chilling with them giving them a full day of lifetime stories to tell to their families about the day they hung out with Tiger. Also, they talk like they paid for the ammo. F that. They sound like bsers. They probably talked big and ordered the most expensive things on the menu. I'm with Tiger on this one.
Ahh the ol' Michael Jordan. "Your tip is that you got to caddy for Michael Jordan"
Old 02-23-2021, 07:52 PM   #56
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I felt weird reading this thread - a guy gets hurt and some individual’s first instinct is to bring up reasons why they don’t like the guy that got hurt. Why is that relevant?

It’s odd that it’s such a quick jump to that.

Do you drive by a car wreck and have your first thought be about whether this person is likeable/respectable?
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 08:15 PM   #57
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
I don't think it's appropriate to bring up stories of his perceived cheapness in a thread about the crash that did happen today. He is an imperfect human just like the rest of us. If you want to slog Tiger, I'm sure there are many golf forums where you could do so.
I think you're right about my and other comments.

All we can hope for is that he recovers well so he can continue golfing with his son Charlie

Old 02-23-2021, 08:25 PM   #58
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

An HBO documentary becomes instantly out of date in record time.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 08:30 PM   #59
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like Tiger has a shattered ankle and two broken legs. With that and his existing back issues I doubt he ever plays on the PGA Tour again. It seems improbable that he will ever be able to develop a swing that would be capable of competing on the tour.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:33 PM   #60
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:
Default Tiger Woods in a car crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
I felt weird reading this thread - a guy gets hurt and some individual’s first instinct is to bring up reasons why they don’t like the guy that got hurt. Why is that relevant?

It’s odd that it’s such a quick jump to that.

Do you drive by a car wreck and have your first thought be about whether this person is likeable/respectable?

Human nature, I guess. I don't hold celebrties above, but I don't hold them under, either. Most people seem to fall on the ends of the spectrum of worship vs **** you.

I've never had real money in this world, but in growing as a person I've learned that money has nothing to do with anything and shouldn't be used for or against another human being. I don't worship Tiger, but reasonable understanding tells me he a) was never going to be normal (the standard to which normal people hold top athletes and celebrities) and b) was always going to be a person that struggled with being and and remaining on top of his sport. He was always going to slush and take painkillers and do anything to be the best ever.

It's a world we can't possibly imagine and because of that I don't judge as I don't know if I'd handle it any better (maybe worse?).

Last edited by jayswin; 02-23-2021 at 08:36 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote