Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2021, 09:28 PM   #1
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Photo Radar - 2 Vehicles in Photo

Had to drive up to that dump Edmonton last week, was in the city for 30 mins and headed back home. Speeding ticket in mail, 77 in a 60.

Always heard that they must get a clear shot of your vehicle and no other vehicles can be in the photo. Any validity to that or just BS?

Not only is there another vehicle in the photo, but said car blocks about 1/4 of the side/front my truck.

I'll likely pay it online tomorrow, just curious.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:27 PM   #2
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Contest the ticket on that basis. They might offer a reduction based on that or dismiss entirely. You're going to want to seem prepared and willing to argue your case though. That gives them the idea that you might take up too much time on the docket.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:25 AM   #3
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Always heard that they must get a clear shot of your vehicle and no other vehicles can be in the photo. Any validity to that or just BS?
Just BS, take a look at the ticket it likely has a lane # in the description, they know exactly which vehicle is which

Edmonton has gotta be the photo radar capital of Canada, it's gross
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 12:27 AM   #4
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Alberta recently changed the rules on fighting tickets, we’re now more like BC. Basically it is much harder and they don’t do reductions, only guilty or not guilty.

Hire someone to fight it or pay it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:35 AM   #5
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Edmonton has gotta be the photo radar capital of Canada, it's gross
Lived in Calgary for almost 20 years and never gotten a single photo radar ticket here. Having to drive to Edmonton for work resulted in 2 tickets in 2 years. Hate that ####hole
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:59 AM   #6
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just received one in the mail, I’m usually pretty cautious of my speed on this road as it goes 70 to 60 back to 70. There was a car in front of me but I’m sure I’m still SOL as I can’t prove I wasn’t doing 80
Old 02-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #7
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

My understanding is the intersection cameras can distinguish lanes, as they use induction loops in the road for vehicle detection. Mobile units can't distinguish lanes, so you shouldn't receive a ticket if there is another vehicle in your direction of travel.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 11:21 AM   #8
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Yup. Intersection cameras can distinguish lanes, mobile units cannot. So if you received an intersection camera ticket, you're hooped as that argument wouldn't hold water.

Best bet for mobile photo radar is to get a good radar detector with GPS capability so you can eliminate false positives like automatic doors at grocery stores and the like. For intersection cameras, no radar = nothing to detect, you need a GPS database with all the cameras in it or something like Waze. I have a Garmin POI with all of the speed cameras in North America loaded into it, so my car just lets me know a) when I'm approaching a camera and b) if my speed is above or below the threshold for a ticket.

Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration: Sadly, the position of your vehicle in the photos is where the induction loops are, which means it was your vehicle that tripped them.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 11:27 AM   #9
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration View Post
I just received one in the mail, I’m usually pretty cautious of my speed on this road as it goes 70 to 60 back to 70. There was a car in front of me but I’m sure I’m still SOL as I can’t prove I wasn’t doing 80
I drive 114th Ave across Barlow there often and I see the speed camera get 3-4 different drivers going south on Barlow each green light

The city must make bank on that intersection
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 11:49 AM   #10
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have involvement with photo radar in my work. The systems are able to distinguish vehicles in different lanes. Don’t bother fighting it on that basis; you won’t win. It just needs to be able to photograph your licence plate.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:08 PM   #11
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Distinguishing between lanes is what I was curious about.

Paid online a couple hours ago, I get so pissed off at this thievery, better to get done with it and forget I was even in Edmonton.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 07:34 PM   #12
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Getting a photo radar ticket is like buying a lottery ticket.

With the photo radar you get to lie to yourself that you weren't speeding, with the lottery ticket you get to pretend you are a millionaire until the draw.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2021, 12:59 PM   #13
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Getting a photo radar ticket is like buying a lottery ticket.

With the photo radar you get to lie to yourself that you weren't speeding, with the lottery ticket you get to pretend you are a millionaire until the draw.
I know of a good RMT I can refer you to in case of a strain due to that awful stretch.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:17 AM   #14
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration View Post
Even if it didn't track what lane you were in, it's pretty easy to prove your speed. The ticket shows the time between both photos and you can approximate the distance you traveled between the photos.

If that is Barlow and 114th Avenue, you traveled approximately 15 meters between the photos. About 0.62 seconds passed between the photos. That works out to 24.2 m/s which is 87 km/h. The camera says you went 80 so obviously my guesstimate is off but you get the idea.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2021, 07:02 AM   #15
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Distinguishing between lanes is what I was curious about.

Paid online a couple hours ago, I get so pissed off at this thievery, better to get done with it and forget I was even in Edmonton.
thievery? you were 17km/hr over the limit. just maybe you deserve the ticket. no way you were not aware you were that much over the speed limit.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2021, 07:21 AM   #16
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a friend that fights every photo radar ticket, regardless of the issue. (he gets a lot apparently). They throw out every one, it isn't worth their time. He is either lucky or they don't waste their time in court.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:21 AM   #17
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
thievery? you were 17km/hr over the limit. just maybe you deserve the ticket. no way you were not aware you were that much over the speed limit.
I love people crying about speeding tickets to be honest. Entitlement at its finest. It is frustrating, but you have no one to be pissed at other than yourself.

As a speeder myself, do I get frustrated when I get a ticket? Oh for sure.

Do I fairly quickly come back to reality and realize the only person I should be frustrated at is myself? Yup

Want to use the court system to reduce your ticket - no judgment from me, just don't cry about how unfair a speeding ticket is, if you were indeed speeding.

Last edited by Mull; 02-16-2021 at 08:26 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2021, 08:23 AM   #18
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:31 AM   #19
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
I have a friend that fights every photo radar ticket, regardless of the issue. (he gets a lot apparently). They throw out every one, it isn't worth their time. He is either lucky or they don't waste their time in court.
He probably isn't being fully honest.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:59 AM   #20
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I love people crying about speeding tickets to be honest. Entitlement at its finest. It is frustrating, but you have no one to be pissed at other than yourself.

As a speeder myself, do I get frustrated when I get a ticket? Oh for sure.

Do I fairly quickly come back to reality and realize the only person I should be frustrated at is myself? Yup

Want to use the court system to reduce your ticket - no judgment from me, just don't cry about how unfair a speeding ticket is, if you were indeed speeding.
I could see being irked if he got a ticket for less than 10% over the limit, but 17 over is pretty excessive speeding.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote