Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-21-2021, 11:40 AM   #41
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's like Twin Peaks, if Twin Peaks sucked. It's got enough of my interest that I want to see where it goes, but I won't be renewing for it.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:14 AM   #42
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Holy #### man, episode 3 went all Truman Show on us. Kinda literally.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:45 AM   #43
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's more like it, although it's still 21 minutes of fluff for 3 minutes of payoff and 7 minutes of credits.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:49 PM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
That's more like it, although it's still 21 minutes of fluff for 3 minutes of payoff and 7 minutes of credits.
I'm still grinding through these. I didnt think that was any better or worse than any of the other ones.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:13 PM   #45
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I feel like I am watching the Walking Dead because literally nothing is happening.

There is a half a foot of progression for 20 minutes of struggle... I appreciate the quality that is going into the story telling, but its boring.

I was a little worried about this. The classic comic book move is having special side issue arcs where they lead on like something big will happen but then you're 20 comics deep and the story hasn't moved.

Reminds me of when DC did the 52 arc.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #46
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm still grinding through these. I didnt think that was any better or worse than any of the other ones.
The final scenes gave us the largest glimpse into the mystery, but it still held back a ton. For that reason I would say it was a better episode even if I spent most of it bored and looking at my watch.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:45 PM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
The final scenes gave us the largest glimpse into the mystery, but it still held back a ton. For that reason I would say it was a better episode even if I spent most of it bored and looking at my watch.
It reminded me of WW84.

"We're being deliberately cheesy!! See how good we are!?!?"

Yeah. Its borderline painful to watch. To the point where I might just abandon this show until they've all been released and see if anything interesting is in there.

3 minutes of content for 20 minutes of awkwardness and laugh tracks and 7 minutes of credits just isnt doing it for me.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-22-2021, 05:53 PM   #48
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Episode 3 sucked. Yikes.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:44 PM   #49
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Episode 3 sucked. Yikes.
What man I thought it was awesome! Great cliffhanger.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 09:11 PM   #50
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I liked the last half of the episode, and I thought the last few minutes with the semi reveals was well done.

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 11:18 PM   #51
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Episode 3 sucked. Yikes.
Its not just that it sucked, they could have packed all of the relevant content of the first three episodes of this season into a trailer.

If you want to take me on a journey with you at least go somewhere interesting. So far this season has been like a Community College's Film Studies project.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 09:37 AM   #52
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This show, I like it! Another!
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:11 AM   #53
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like 3 a lot.

Still agree 23 minute weekly drops doesn't seem to fit the story they are telling, but I think the larger narrative is becoming clear.

I think the visual humor suited the 70s well (the forced allusion of water breaking... they are definitely showing the format of sitcoms over the ages a lot of deference), and I think they are doing a great job with the dialects you can hear them slightly changing with the time.

Spoiler!

Big Future Spoiler I accidentally saw on the cast list
Spoiler!

Last edited by #-3; 01-23-2021 at 10:19 AM.
#-3 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 10:30 AM   #54
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I like 3 a lot.

Still agree 23 minute weekly drops doesn't seem to fit the story they are telling, but I think the larger narrative is becoming clear.

I think the visual humor suited the 70s well (the forced allusion of water breaking... they are definitely showing the format of sitcoms over the ages a lot of deference), and I think they are doing a great job with the dialects you can hear them slightly changing with the time.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Old 01-23-2021, 10:47 PM   #55
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The tension at the end of episode 3 was captivating but once again the journey to that point was a slog. I get the old school sitcom setting as a tribute and satire but this gets old quickly. Unless you are an old TV cinephile who is also a big Marvel nerd looking for every Easter egg, I'm not sure who this is aimed at.

I really wish we waited until the series was completed then binged the entire thing because this drip feeding of plot is becoming a chore.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:18 AM   #56
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I like 3 a lot.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
I think the neighbours were trying to tell vision that they were all dead but couldn’t whereas her friend isn’t.

So Wandas world has somehow drawn in real dead people. I think the military capturing her as she was booted from the world were not sword and some other group. And you sword trying to infiltrate to get Wanda out.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:37 AM   #57
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I feel like I am watching the Walking Dead because literally nothing is happening.

There is a half a foot of progression for 20 minutes of struggle... I appreciate the quality that is going into the story telling, but its boring.

I was a little worried about this. The classic comic book move is having special side issue arcs where they lead on like something big will happen but then you're 20 comics deep and the story hasn't moved.

Reminds me of when DC did the 52 arc.
This series is like a modern, decompressed comic series being written for the trade whereas the movies were more like Silver Age and Bronze age comics where there was a ton of stuff crammed into every issue. One approach isn't inherently better or worse than the other, but either could be used to tell better or worse stories.

Most of the recent movies had dozens of main characters and multiple storylines crammed into a 2-3 hour runtime. This series has had, what, 4 main characters? One or two storylines? Across 70-80 minutes of what will turn out to be close to a 4 hour runtime.

The differences in pacing and approach are going to be jarring. Just like if you went from reading some Avengers comics from the 60s or 70s to reading the most recent Vision limited series.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #58
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Normally I wait until shows are released and then watch, but it is getting harder to avoid spoilers that way. The ending of the Mandalorian was ruined for me from YouTube recommendations. I would much rather binge a show like this.

Spoiler!

On a side note, I was joking with my wife last night that she should create a YouTube channel, called confused wifes/moms talk about Marvel where she can have a glass of wine and complain about how it doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by pseudoreality; 01-24-2021 at 10:18 AM. Reason: fix spoiler tags
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2021, 12:07 PM   #59
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Tell your wife that I would totally subscribe to that channel.

Old 01-24-2021, 02:19 PM   #60
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Normally I wait until shows are released and then watch, but it is getting harder to avoid spoilers that way. The ending of the Mandalorian was ruined for me from YouTube recommendations. I would much rather binge a show like this.

Spoiler!

On a side note, I was joking with my wife last night that she should create a YouTube channel, called confused wifes/moms talk about Marvel where she can have a glass of wine and complain about how it doesn't make any sense.
Pretty much agree on the story.

I'm completely on your side, but I jumped to watch this. It's the first A tier hero fantasy content released in almost a year and a half.

I get that the pacing is hard to take, but I also really like that marvel consistently takes genres head on, and plays with the stereotypical archetypes within that genre, they've been leaning heavily into that approach for all of phase 3. This is definitely a more direct interpretation of that method.

I'll send my wife to join yours, I get a little too into these for her to care sometimes.
#-3 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post: