Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 02-04-2021, 11:21 AM   #441
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am very much on the fence with a decision like this.

I live in the beltline so it won't effect me on a day to day basis as i walk to work.

On the one hand, lower speed limits on some roads grind my gears (Elbow specifically). I understand that some people living in more suburban areas may have more exposure to these types of roadways. I am also of the opinion that this is perhaps an overreaction to an issue.

On the other hand, i really don't think its as big of a deal as people on here are making it. Sheesh, war on cars? some older residential streets (beltline and surrounding pre-90's subdivisions) are so narrow that there is no way you can go 50km and expect to react to problems as they arise.

I also don't buy the argument that this change is not grounded in data or study. There have been countless studies on this issue and was debated and implemented in many european countries over a decade ago. These studies have showed that the decrease in pedestrian collisions is one of several benefits, while also suggesting traffic conditions are not impacted by speed limits but traffic control devices.

I think this is a perfect opportunity to rethink subdivision design. Modern subdivisions are awful, with their winding miles long residential streets and one or two entrys/exits to the community. It's also an opportunity to re-thing the wide laneways on roads where the speed limits do not necessitate such wasted space.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 07:59 PM   #442
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If you think this will affect you negatively, I'd love to see examples of the roads where this will be implemented that would be a problem. Genuinely curious, as I can't think of any around me.
My concern is that there will be so many people who cannot wrap their head around the rule. We have already seen this- we are at least 5 years since they changed the playground zones. I see some people going 50 at 6:00 pm, and others slowing to 30 at midnight.

The telling thing for me, one councilor said that he didn't want to put it to a plebiscite because so many people he spoke to who were against it did not understand the scope of the plan. In other words, people who had enough of an interest to speak to their councilor didn't fully grasp what the plan was.

We are going to have people doing 40 or even 30 in 50 zones, and then people trying to pass them. (or even worse, some other aggressive behavior.) Instead of addressing the problem by lobbying the province for stricter driving standards (or maybe needing to pass a test more than once when you are a teenager); or by enforcing the rules that are already in place, let's create a new law.

The latter, how many rolling stops do we see? I see it a lot, and may be guilty of it as well. More enforcement in residential areas of stop signs would have a far better result in my mind. A couple of police cars hitting one neighbourhood per hour, you could get every neighbourhood covered in a week or so.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:51 PM   #443
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
That's not surprising, because those make the news due to the delays they cause on those roads. I never saw any news on the incident I saw years ago on a side street because not enough cars use it to cause an issue while it was closed by emergency services. Everyone, including me, would gawk a bit at the scene, turn around and use a different side street.

No, there's some that mention a major delay caused on an artery, most make the news due to severity of accident and injury.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:58 PM   #444
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Updated Maps are out

https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...ed-limits.html

I was so happy to see my street in ward 7 be 40 in this iteration. My street doesn't even have a yellow line and had a "collector" classification. There are three seniors centres on my street.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:11 PM   #445
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly, this seems reasonable to me. There is only one street in my community that seems like it should still be at 50, but was labeled at 40. The rest that got bumped to 40 are already mostly designed such that I likely wasn't going over 40 on them anyway.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:18 PM   #446
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Honestly, this seems reasonable to me. There is only one street in my community that seems like it should still be at 50, but was labeled at 40. The rest that got bumped to 40 are already mostly designed such that I likely wasn't going over 40 on them anyway.
But how much of that was only after backlash from the public and even from Calgary Transit. There were/are councilors who would have wanted it to go to 30 kph residential and 40 kph for collectors (unless there was a reason they should stay at 50).
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 09:23 PM   #447
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

40 everywhere with buses allowed to speed would have been so much better.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:07 PM   #448
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
40 everywhere with buses allowed to speed would have been so much better.
Buses cannot drop below 55. Do it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 10:08 PM   #449
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I don’t follow civic stuff too much but this might be one of the dumbest things this city has ever done.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 09:32 AM   #450
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Updated Maps are out

https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...ed-limits.html

I was so happy to see my street in ward 7 be 40 in this iteration. My street doesn't even have a yellow line and had a "collector" classification. There are three seniors centres on my street.
Thanks for sharing these. I'm less annoyed than previously, because as mentioned the roads going to 40 I never would have gone above 40 on anyway.

I do question if this is a solution in search of a problem though. I don't ever see people going too fast on these roads, because generally speaking they aren't designed for it. My understanding is all the red lines on those maps will be getting speed limit signs for 50, which will cost a bunch of money. Are we getting any actual benefit out of this? I'd love to know how many pedestrians have been hit by cars on roads that are switching to 40 km/h where the driver was going faster than 40 km/h. My guess is the answer is actually zero. If it turns out there have been fatalities of a bunch of little kids under those circumstances then my opinion instantly changes.

But if that was the case I think those pushing this would have led with those stats. Right now it seems like all we get is a bunch of Helen Lovejoy handwringing.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 09:53 AM   #451
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Thanks for sharing these. I'm less annoyed than previously, because as mentioned the roads going to 40 I never would have gone above 40 on anyway.

I do question if this is a solution in search of a problem though. I don't ever see people going too fast on these roads, because generally speaking they aren't designed for it. My understanding is all the red lines on those maps will be getting speed limit signs for 50, which will cost a bunch of money. Are we getting any actual benefit out of this? I'd love to know how many pedestrians have been hit by cars on roads that are switching to 40 km/h where the driver was going faster than 40 km/h. My guess is the answer is actually zero. If it turns out there have been fatalities of a bunch of little kids under those circumstances then my opinion instantly changes.

But if that was the case I think those pushing this would have led with those stats. Right now it seems like all we get is a bunch of Helen Lovejoy handwringing.
You're unfortunately correct ... maybe not 'zero', but bugger all relative to the rest of the city. The streets where pedestrian-vehicle incidents occur are overwhelmingly not the streets where these changes took place. Every report the City has put out showed this to be the case, including the report they put out to justify this change.

You want to spend money? Fine, improve pedestrian crossings and markings, make it easier for drivers and pedestrians to avoid each other. This was, as you said, a solution in search of a problem.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:10 AM   #452
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
You're unfortunately correct ... maybe not 'zero', but bugger all relative to the rest of the city. The streets where pedestrian-vehicle incidents occur are overwhelmingly not the streets where these changes took place. Every report the City has put out showed this to be the case, including the report they put out to justify this change.

You want to spend money? Fine, improve pedestrian crossings and markings, make it easier for drivers and pedestrians to avoid each other. This was, as you said, a solution in search of a problem.
I think it only counts as something this "solution" would address if the person who hit the pedestrian was going over 40 km/h. If someone going 38 km/hr hits a pedestrian at that speed then this change wouldn't have helped anyway. I just don't see it, simply because its already extremely rare for anyone to be going more than 40 km/h on these streets as it is.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:49 AM   #453
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Yea this whole project screams like wasting money just so some councilors can pat themselves on the back. I would never drive more than 40ish on any of the changed roads in my neighborhood or the neighboring ones I looked at, and I've never witnessed any speed demons on those either. What a pointless endeavor
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #454
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Yea this whole project screams like wasting money just so some councilors can pat themselves on the back. I would never drive more than 40ish on any of the changed roads in my neighborhood or the neighboring ones I looked at, and I've never witnessed any speed demons on those either. What a pointless endeavor
The decision making boggles the mind. We have enough money for this, but fluoride is too expensive. And that is something that would make a measurable improvement to the lives of children all over our city. But hey, might as well put up signs to ensure people keep driving the same speed they're already driving.

What a
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 11:38 AM   #455
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly this has little to no affect on my day to day life.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #456
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Honestly this has little to no affect on my day to day life.
That's the problem; if we're spending this much money, shouldn't it have some effect on your day to day life? Shouldn't this improve pedestrian safety across the city in areas where it's actually needed?

If everyone can look at this and say "Well no one drives that fast on those roads anyway", then that's sort of making the point that this wasn't needed to begin with and our money was self-righteously lit on fire by Council.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:07 PM   #457
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
That's the problem; if we're spending this much money, shouldn't it have some effect on your day to day life? Shouldn't this improve pedestrian safety across the city in areas where it's actually needed?

If everyone can look at this and say "Well no one drives that fast on those roads anyway", then that's sort of making the point that this wasn't needed to begin with and our money was lit on fire.
Security/safety theatre.

Though I still think this is just a 'first step'. That soon they'll drop the 40 roads to 30, and the 50's to 40's. Then when folks have swallowed that, drop the new 40's to 30's.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2021, 09:20 AM   #458
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple of Nenshi towers or $2 million

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:42 PM   #459
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I write this, 2 dudes are finishing the installation of a max 50 sign in front of my house. I'm on a street that I knew would be maybe questionable for getting lowered. People rip by house at 70 regularly... I guarantee my 50 street would be far more lucrative than the vast majority of new 40 zones, if it's cash grabs people are worried about.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:53 PM   #460
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, you know that'll change nothing. If your street was a 50 unmarked before, then the only difference is you've got a sign out front saying that the speed limit is still the same... the same one people were allegedly breaking to begin with.