Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-19-2018, 06:57 AM   #41
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Kinda curious, but who has the longest daily commute here? Wondering whether 25k each way from NW to near Chinook is too ambitious.
I used to work on Southland and commute from Harvest Hills. It was 26 one way. I did it 3 or 4 times a week. It kicks your ass a little if you're not disciplined on eating, fitness, etc. Current is 15 one way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What are your guys thoughts on cyclocross bikes? I want something a little more durable than a road bike. But not a mountain bike. My friend just got one and likes it but I'm on the fence. Am I totally wrong in thinking these are a little stronger than the standard road bike?
Cross bikes are pretty great for commuting. I've beat the hell out of my Kona Jake the Snake and it keeps coming back for more. 12000km of commuting on it year round. I'm on my second set of wheels and I've replaced chains/cogs at least every other year. I set it up with Schwalbe marathon tires, it's pretty much bulletproof.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 07:00 AM   #42
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If it’s about the same as the bus/Ctrain commute, I am okay. I think I need some variety from running, and last time I did some biking it stretched things out nicely.

I am kind of wondering which would be the best route to downtown - I am in Hidden Valley, so either 14th St, Centre St. or Nose Creek. Centre St doesn’t look like a great option. Nose Creek is a little out of the way, but avoids vehicle traffic altogether. 14th is closest with a mix of pathway and street cycling. Any thoughts?
Nose Creek is decent, though there is a detour around Laycock Park right now. I have done Centre Street in the past. Not too bad if you combine it with 4st NW, that's a little less busy for the ride in.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:09 AM   #43
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like cyclocross/adventure/gravel bikes. They are basically road bikes with clearances for wider tires and some geometry differences. I don't really see a difference in durability/strength though. Most cyclocross bikes are made out of the same materials and parts as road bikes. Carbon frames are ubiquitous, groupsets are compact road, so it really is a road bike with 38-42mm tires, but I think they are plenty durable.

If you get more into the adventure and gravel bike side of things there are more steel framed bikes such as the Kona Rove ST, Surly and Salsa bikes which maybe more what you are looking for.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #44
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

my commute is 17k/46 minutes (+/-8 or so with wind) each way. it is relatively easy to do 5 days per week if life does nto get int ehw ay.

i used to work downtown and only had a mtn bike way back when. commute was 25k and took about 70 minutes. that was hard to do more than 3x per week.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #45
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
I like cyclocross/adventure/gravel bikes. They are basically road bikes with clearances for wider tires and some geometry differences. I don't really see a difference in durability/strength though. Most cyclocross bikes are made out of the same materials and parts as road bikes. Carbon frames are ubiquitous, groupsets are compact road, so it really is a road bike with 38-42mm tires, but I think they are plenty durable.

If you get more into the adventure and gravel bike side of things there are more steel framed bikes such as the Kona Rove ST, Surly and Salsa bikes which maybe more what you are looking for.
Yah I guess I am just worried about getting flats on your standard road tires all the time so i was thinking about wider tires. Thanks for the info!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #46
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I'm at 2000 km on my hybrid bike, and the only flat I got was from hitting a square curb at speed; forgetting that my last successful two wheel bunny hop was 30 years and 100 pounds ago.

I wouldn't trade the lesser rolling resistance of road tires over chance of fewer flats.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:35 AM   #47
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had 2 flats over 5,000km on my road bike. One was yesterday when I ran over a massive nail. I don't think any tire is going to stop a 4" nail. The other flat I got I have no idea, sometimes it just happens.

I don't think generic Cyclocross tires are not going to prevent you from getting punctures any better than a normal 23c or 25c road tire, however, there is a tire i can recommend that is bombproof:

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...rathon_mondial

I've run this tire for a couple thousand km's and I have read people riding them 20,000km without a flat around the world. You can get them in 700c X 35 & 40, that would fit on a cyclocross/adventure/gravel style bike if you choose. However, would I go this route just to avoid flats on a road bike? No way, the amount of fun I have on my road bike far outweighs the amount of flats I get.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 08:57 AM   #48
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ha, I was just about to say, if you have a road bike, get some Schwalbe Marathons. Super tough tire. I've never had a flat on those. I used those when I commuted on my cross bike. Same set of tires on the commuter for the past 5 years.

If you are looking for an excuse to buy a new bike, try both. I have both a cross bike and a gravel. Different geometries and different feel. Cross is designed for racing cyclocross. Higher BB, steeper head angle, short wheelbase. Gravel is slacker and longer, for stability out on the gravel road. I personally like the feel of the gravel bike better.
I have friends who race cyclocross every fall, so that is their bike of choice.

If you want to try a gravel bike, I have a 48, 54 and 56 Diverge in my garage is you want to take one out for a decent rip.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #49
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Nose Creek is decent, though there is a detour around Laycock Park right now. I have done Centre Street in the past. Not too bad if you combine it with 4st NW, that's a little less busy for the ride in.

Is that new? I went for a run through that section last week and it was open.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #50
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For those who like to climb hills:

https://climbduro.com/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 10:41 AM   #51
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is that new? I went for a run through that section last week and it was open.
yeah, just started July 17.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #52
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kinda curious, but who has the longest daily commute here? Wondering whether 25k each way from NW to near Chinook is too ambitious.
I don't cycle for a few reasons but this is one of them. Your commute sounds very similar to mine (from NW to near Chinook). For me it would be two elevation changes (into and back out of the river valley) and the lack of cycling infrastructure between Chinook and DT now that Glenmore dam has been closed. It's 27km by road, I' not sure what cycling would be but it's hard to picture spending 3+ hours every day on a bike.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #53
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I don't cycle for a few reasons but this is one of them. Your commute sounds very similar to mine (from NW to near Chinook). For me it would be two elevation changes (into and back out of the river valley) and the lack of cycling infrastructure between Chinook and DT now that Glenmore dam has been closed. It's 27km by road, I' not sure what cycling would be but it's hard to picture spending 3+ hours every day on a bike.
For what it's worth, between downtown and Chinook is super easy actually. One hill at Stanley Park (which I can do on a single speed, so a geared bike shouldn't have much problem) and a pretty straight shot in a combination of 5th St. and the elbow river path. Can't comment on the NW part however.

Also, the Glenmore closure is open now (if I'm thinking of the one you are).
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #54
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

My commute is likely the shortest. I'm 2.5 kms from my door to my office door. However, I usually only do that route on Mondays. Tuesday and Thursday I cycle to the gym, then to work, and then home after work. The loop is 11 kms. On Wednesdays and Fridays I usually cycle with my group before work. It's about 51 kms of cycling from the time I leave my house, go on the group ride, and then finish my commute at work. After work it's the 2.5 kms home. So on a normal week I'll cycle 5 days of commuting with total daily distances of 5 kms, 11 kms, 53.5 kms, 11 kms, 53.5 kms for a total of 134 kms. Depending on whether it's a fondo weekend or not my Sunday ride will be 100-160 kms. I seldom bike on Saturdays, but will bike to the golf course after work every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #55
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big cycling weekend coming up.

Planning on telephone, long distance, Merlin and bragging rights out to last t in Saturday, and then Sunday doing the elbow loop for my first time.

Next week I am on vacation in Kelowna, planning on riding chunks of kettle valley and the Beowulf at silver star.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #56
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The cyclist should be charged.

Don't be like this guy. Stop at lights and signs. Until "Idaho Stops" are legal, just stop. It's crap like this that makes all cyclists look bad.

Quote:

Pedestrian dies from injuries after being struck by cyclist in S.W. Calgary

Cyclist failed to stop at red light, striking 75-year-old crossing at marked intersection, police say

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...755175?cmp=rss

Last edited by KTrain; 07-20-2018 at 12:09 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #57
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe how often I see other cyclists not even slow down for stop signs. They just blow right through.
I usually do an Idaho stop unless there's oncoming traffic, but I slow close to a stop.
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:55 PM   #58
RockLicker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I bike commute downtown nearly every day and honestly the most frustrating part of the whole process is watching 15% of the cycling population act like entitled jerk offs. In and out of downtown is generally a pretty good experience if you collaborate with traffic, and help drivers out by being clear, respectful, and decisive. It gmg's to have a week of positive interactions with motorists and then watch some retread undo it all by acting like a fool.

IMO it's generally the same folks pulling dbag moves driving deerfoot as well. I'd be all for draconian penalties for "driving/cycling contrary to public good" if it was easily enforceable. We are all on the same team just trying to get to work/home.
RockLicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #59
JohnnyO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have a 20km each way commute from the far NW. 40mins (downhill & usually a tailwind) to work 50mins+ Home. I will try and do a long ride on the weekend 50-100km if life isn't too busy.

I try to do 3 or 4 commute rides (100-150km) a week. Doing 5 days is tough (200km), I have done 5 days a few times and I end up recovering the whole weekend.

I have been pretty chill this year commuting as well. Chasing Strava segments gets old, as most are impossible or dangerous on the path. I am just trying to accumulate miles this year. 3500km's being the goal.

I commute on a cyclocross (Cube Cross Race, previously Jake the Snake) and use my road bike (Scott Foil 20) on the weekend.
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:29 PM   #60
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Cycling Thread

I went out on my mountain bike today to run some errands on my day off, so it was about 20km to downtown via Nose Creek and then 25km on the way back because of some added detours. It wasn’t bad, but seems further to get to downtown than I was thinking.

Highlight was getting downtown and hearing some guy talking out loud and repeating this mantra, “watching n*ggers all day long”

I don’t get why Garmin Connect and Strava are giving me some different values for elevation gain. Garmin app say “80”, Strava days “144”. Strava is making me a bit wary. My run yesterday I had turned off “auto-pause” on the watch and after I uploaded the activity to Strava is seemed to ignore this setting. Is it massaging the numebrs to make people feel better about themselves or something?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote