Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-24-2021, 02:13 PM   #1341
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

God I can't stand cruz. I don't know how I am still surprised that he would be so transparent with his hypocrisy, yet jokes on me, I am.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/22/polit...ays/index.html

Quote:
Garland pledged to 'protect' the Justice Department from political pressure
Senate Republicans pressed Garland on the independence of the Justice Department from the White House.

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz asked him about whether he would be Biden's "wing man," a dig at a 2013 comment from former President Barack Obama's Attorney General Eric Holder.
Although, for full transparency Cruz did say this later, still what a ...

Quote:
"In two-plus decades on the court, you have built a reputation for integrity and for setting aside partisan interests in following the law," said Cruz, before noting that the attorney general job is different.

Last edited by Mull; 02-24-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:13 PM   #1342
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
This is not surprising, didn't you watch the final Biden/Sanders debate?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:15 PM   #1343
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
the only way they can pass the minimum wage is by putting it in with Covid
$15 is just too much nationwide.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #1344
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I misread, I interpreted it as you saying UBI would cause inflation and therefore eliminate its benefits rather than inflation would erode the benefits.

The answer to that is simply index minimum wage / UBI / any other government benefit to inflation as part of its implementation.

Then you tax excess to take money out of the economy to prevent inflation.
Simply might not be the best word to use here, if it were simple we probably would have indexed minimum wage a long time ago.

I don’t necessarily disagree with your theory however it’s going to be very impractical to implement and maintain when you have governments for and against it running for office every 4 years or less.

I view UBI as little more than a political distraction to draw attention away from the real issues preventing greater equity in the distribution of wealth. Historically we’ve been able to reduce income inequality without a UBI, we simply just need to change the policies that are currently restricting our ability to do so once again.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:20 PM   #1345
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hahahah ####ing classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:21 PM   #1346
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Simply might not be the best word to use here, if it were simple we probably would have indexed minimum wage a long time ago.
It surprising to me we don't have indexed more items in society.

For example, doesn't the US tax on gas pay for interstates, isn't it a big deal its not indexed?

Higher taxes are hard to implement, but they fix our first world infrastructure and social deficient. Indexing takes away the on-going political fight to implement a change.

Index's should also be forced to expire to be reviewed, an index today may not be correct tomorrow.

Anyway, end of my random musings.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #1347
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is embarrassment-level identity politics.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1364573929034121218
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 03:10 PM   #1348
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just two things on this.

1) Medicare is terrible, and I mean terrible healthcare insurance. Anyone demanding "medicare" for all is promoting one of the worst insurance standards around. It covers very little, requires expensive supplemental coverage, and is not accepted by many healthcare providers.

2) Americans WANT more people on private insurance not less. The support for the idea of "medicare for all" starts to fall apart as soon as the concept is described as universal healthcare. There is more support for having employers provide insurance than the state providing insurance for all. It's America's "rugged individualism" that repulses people to the idea of everyone having the same coverage and sharing the cost.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:40 PM   #1349
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

2) Americans WANT more people on private insurance not less. The support for the idea of "medicare for all" starts to fall apart as soon as the concept is described as universal healthcare. There is more support for having employers provide insurance than the state providing insurance for all. It's America's "rugged individualism" that repulses people to the idea of everyone having the same coverage and sharing the cost.
Do you have a source for this? Most polls I've seen on the topic suggest otherwise.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:58 PM   #1350
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The crypto nerds are going to be mad about this, but it's probably a good move and at least shows the administration is aware of the problem.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1364703305205620737
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 04:08 PM   #1351
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have a source for this? Most polls I've seen on the topic suggest otherwise.
every election at senate congressional or Presidential level for my 60 years on earth, I think they are nuts but until they vote Dems in large numbers at state, house and white house healthcare aint happening, healthcare is like abortion for the right wing, you and I might think it is just common sense in the way my fundy friends think abortion is murder, the truth is without a crushing win at all levels neither should be forced on a clearly conflicted populace
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #1352
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The polls are complicated. If you ask "Are you in favor of medicare 4 all?" It is strongly supported. If the question is "Are you in favor of medicare 4 all if it means losing your private health care?" then it is overwhelmingly against it. That's basically what New Era is saying in point 2.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-amer...healthcare-for

I'm personally moderately in favor of Medicare 4 all, but it always seemed like a big mistake to run on that platform in this election. It would have been easy to fear monger against. I also don't agree with New Era that it is terrible. I don't know what it is like where he lives, but here, almost every Dr and hospital is in one of 3 major health systems, and they all take medicare for all, and most seniors I know are pretty happy with it. Medicaid is terrible usually for finding providers, but has gotten better recently.

A phased in Medicare 4 all is probably the best move forward. Go with a public option and make people like it, and it will be an easier sell to get people off their employer plans.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:44 PM   #1353
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
This is embarrassment-level identity politics.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1364573929034121218

Well he's doing his part giving Chinese girls opportunities.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 05:14 PM   #1354
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post

I don’t necessarily disagree with your theory however it’s going to be very impractical to implement and maintain when you have governments for and against it running for office every 4 years or less.

I view UBI as little more than a political distraction to draw attention away from the real issues preventing greater equity in the distribution of wealth. Historically we’ve been able to reduce income inequality without a UBI, we simply just need to change the policies that are currently restricting our ability to do so once again.
Simple and Politically possible are two different things.

I’m not a big fan of UBI, I’d retire immediately at 2k per month per person. I just don’t think inflationary concerns are a reason not to like UBI.

Reasonable Labour Laws and universal healthcare not tied to your job would go a long way.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:08 PM   #1355
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

How unsurprisingly common

https://twitter.com/user/status/1364657790900449282
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 06:53 PM   #1356
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I also don't agree with New Era that it is terrible. I don't know what it is like where he lives, but here, almost every Dr and hospital is in one of 3 major health systems, and they all take medicare for all, and most seniors I know are pretty happy with it.
I do not know of anyone who is on Medicare who would prefer not to be on it.

If Medicare were “terrible,” I’d expect to hear every senior screaming about it and to be bombarded with ads from AARP calling for revisions or outright termination of the program.

But I don’t and I’m not.

Perhaps because Medicare really isn’t “terrible.”
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:21 PM   #1357
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Not only that, but when he was our age he had to walk to school! In closing, end all public transit.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:59 PM   #1358
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
So he wants a $37.30 minimum wage?
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:59 PM   #1359
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
2) Americans WANT more people on private insurance not less. The support for the idea of "medicare for all" starts to fall apart as soon as the concept is described as universal healthcare.
Not disputing this, but I would like to see the data that backs up this claim.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:53 PM   #1360
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Simple and Politically possible are two different things.

I’m not a big fan of UBI, I’d retire immediately at 2k per month per person. I just don’t think inflationary concerns are a reason not to like UBI.
Inflation isn’t my biggest concern but I think it inevitablly becomes a factor given how difficult a near flawless system would be to implement.

Quote:
Reasonable Labour Laws and universal healthcare not tied to your job would go a long way.
I’d be interested to hear your take on the latter.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post: