Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-22-2021, 09:41 AM   #41
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it was such a giant issue they would put effort into stopping it. Not just sending you a bill for it 6 weeks after the fact
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #42
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always felt that speed cameras/photo radar is the 'preventative' part of the approach (as opposed to having an officer immediately pull you over, which is direct to the 'punishment' part)

I've long felt that they work simply by being out there, and the public's knowledge of them being out there. Joe Public knows that they have these things, and they can be anywhere, anywhen. They have an allowance built in (11-14kph) so one would think that as long as Joe Public keeps his speed to 10 over, he's golden.

That knowledge is supposed to keep Joe Public to a max of 10 over.

But Joe Public doesn't care about that. He'd rather take the risk with the "It won't happen to me" mindset, and then complain and gripe about how unfair it is that "it happened to me"...instead of responsibly managing his vehicle/speed to prevent this totally preventable thing that he's well aware of exists.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:55 AM   #43
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only other thought I have is they're so obvious that if you are commonly getting tagged, you're clearly a very oblivious and dumb driver
Old 02-22-2021, 09:57 AM   #44
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

The one on McKnight heading west just past the golf course before those sweet twisties preceding the turn onto John Laurie got me pretty good last year. That pissed me off because it's such a great spot to come in hot to take those turns fast. Such a killjoy of a camera there.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:58 AM   #45
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
The one on McKnight heading west just past the golf course before those sweet twisties preceding the turn onto John Laurie got me pretty good last year. That pissed me off because it's such a great spot to come in hot to take those turns fast. Such a killjoy of a camera there.
When I get the updated camera location list this year I'll make sure to share it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 09:59 AM   #46
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I don't think photo radar is an effective safety measure (and the amount of time people spend scoping out the parked cars looking for radar instead of watching the road may even make them a safety hazard).

I don't think speed limits are great either in most scenarios.

Roads need to be designed for safety. If you're going to build 8m wide streets in a residential neighbourhood with excellent visibility, it should be expected people will be comfortable going 70km/h.

If you build streets where 2 cars need to be paying a lot of attention to pass without clipping mirrors, people will voluntarily go 30km/h.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:01 AM   #47
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Is it at the intersection of McKnight and 4th st? Those curves are indeed great.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 10:03 AM   #48
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Is it at the intersection of McKnight and 4th st? Those curves are indeed great.
Yep, and it's such a bonus, too, because you go under that overpass. I loved it in my Cooper S with exhaust because not only do you get to enjoy the curves, but you get the sound reverberating off the bridge, too.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #49
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Photo radar is very effective at getting people to slow down until they know they are out of range of the camera.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 10:56 AM   #50
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The speed limit there is set artificially low. It's a three lane road on a stretch that was 70km/h for about 15km, then it slows down to 60km/h for 25 meters at this camera directly preceding a merge onto Deerfoot where you have to get up to 100km/h. It is the assholiest camera in all of Calgary and it gets people all day long. It's very clear the flow of traffic doesn't warrant slowing down to basically residential speeds here.
Don't worry, they're planning on slowing the residential speed limits to 40 km/h and then to 30 km/h. So 60 will feel like freeway speeds in comparison.

After making Crowchild over the river free-flowing by years of construction, they've lowered the southbound speed limit from the bridge to 17th Ave to 60 km/h from 70 km/h. I think they just figured it had been lower for construction for so long that no one would notice. It's a completely separated multi-lane road. There's no reason for that change.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #51
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
My mistake then, you're not missing the point.

You're deliberately ignoring it
No as I said I addressed it, but I stated I don't feel it is relevant to deserving a ticket or not
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:10 AM   #52
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
In university, I took a course on the sociology of crime. On literally the first day, the lesson was about deviant behaviour as they relate to laws. Laws just form the little rule book society makes up as they go along. Sometimes the rules are determined to be bad and that can be illuminated by deviant behaviour - basically enough people break the law to the point where it becomes apparent the law shouldn't exist.

Obviously everyone gets your point that you break the law = you take your punishment. We're all taking it one step further than your black and white view, though, and saying, should that camera be there enforcing a speed limit that is set too low, though, evidenced by a bunch of reasonable people doing reasonable speeds getting ticketed all day long? Seriously, that camera is practically a strobe light the way it tickets people there.

So, if the rule there is unfair at its core, then we're saying it makes the ticket unfair. Kind of like in some states how water fountains were not for black people. Or how black people couldn't sit at the front of a bus. Enough people rebelled against the laws and they were changed. By your logic, your position on those water fountains would have been, ticket the black people because they broke the law for drinking out of a "whites only" fountain. No, some laws are unfair and it makes the punishment for breaking them unfair, too.

You can disagree with our point, but just make sure you understand the point being made because you really don't seem to.
Thank you for this. Different perspective for me to consider on this issue.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote