Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2018, 01:40 PM   #701
BBQorMILDEW
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Hamilton is a franchise defenseman

Hanifin might be, and had better be if the Flames want to have any chance of competing in the future.

I feel so bad for Gaudreau and Monahan who have to waste away their careers until UFA
Wow! If I was you, I'd stop watching the team.
BBQorMILDEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #702
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
To be fair hits is almost completely useless as a statistic. Ferland wasn't nearly the physical offensive presence we wanted him to be on the first line.
Hits are a useless stat but we know Ferland's hitting allows him to be a very effective forechecker. He was one of our takeaway leaders for a reason.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #703
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

FWIW Lindholm is very good at faceoffs. I know people slot him in a RW with his shot, but he's pretty versatile. Could he centre a line with Tkachuk? Then Bennett can play with Backlund, where he had his best year. Or on the top line in the Ferland role.

To do this the Flames still need another winger, but there are some available. Or maybe Jankowski plays a wing role as well, with Backlund, and then you have a bottom line of Lazar, Shore and Foo/Brouwer/someone else.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #704
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

From Brad’s interview on the fan 960, it sounded like Dougie wasn’t interested in being a Flame anymore. It’s tough to really know who won the trade because it was essentially a 2 for 2 trade and we’re not sure the ceilings on Lindholm and Hanifin yet. But the one redeeming quality of this trade is the team control.

We could potentially have these 2 for 8+ years whereas we’d have Dougie for 3 more years and Ferly is hitting the UFA market next summer. So even though I’m not crazy about the trade, I can see the asset management upside of this trade.

Last edited by Classic_Sniper; 06-23-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #705
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Screw you Fox you piece of crap.

I hope your career goes the same way Erixon's did.

Adam Fox is dead to me, he is now Alex Fox.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #706
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Treliving also just said Dougie is a terrific player but they take everything into consideration on and off the ice.

Then suggested Dougie said something to him in their post-season meeting or asked to be traded? Odd choice of words, but that was the implication.
That's weird. None of our business I suppose, but I wonder what's up
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #707
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
To be fair hits is almost completely useless as a statistic. Ferland wasn't nearly the physical offensive presence we wanted him to be on the first line.
Only one forward who had more hits than Ferland had more goals than Ferland in the entire NHL last year.

Dustin Brown who made $6.5M last year. Ferland makes $1.75M.

Ferland is really getting thrown under the bus now that hes traded.

There really aren't many players like him in the NHL and nobody actually knows what his ceiling may be.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #708
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, it sounds like BT traded away a couple of potential problems for the team.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #709
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Alec Fux.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #710
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am really happy with the trade after the confirmation that Fox was not going to sign and thst there was something up with Dougie off the ice. 2 former top 5 picks that could be poised to breakout next season.

We didn’t get the sure fire top line forward but we did a good job of not crippling the defense at all.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #711
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

At least his representation was honest and didn't wait until the last minute like Erixon. He gave Treliving two summers to deal with it before he was a free agent in the third summer.

It's not his fault Brad used him as a throw in.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #712
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanifin's +/- rating was worse each season in Carolina. Reason to worry?
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=170298
Old 06-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #713
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
I think the flames slightly lost this deal, by the value of Ferland. The other four players balance out and I’d imagine most would be content with..

Lindholm + Hanifin = Hamilton + Fox

That seems like a fair trade to me

But what’s Ferland worth?
- First half of season 17/18, a second round draft pick.
- Second half of the season, a fifth round draft pick

So IMHO if the flames got Carolinas third/fourth round pick in next years draft included with that deal, then I think it would have been even.

We’ve basically given Ferland away for nothing, which I’m not going to jump off a bridge about!
Ferland is a UFA next year, and he probably could have returned a 2nd rounder but if the Flames were in a playoff position, they wouldn't have traded him for a 2nd, so would have essentially lost Ferland for nothing.

Ferland was my favourite player on the FLames but re-signing him was going to be difficult, not because he wouldn't want to re-sign, but more in terms of what type of contract you commit to a guy who isn't a core piece and also has plays a physical game and has concussion issues.

People are not valuing the uncertainty of Ferland and Fox long term into the equation.

You don't just look at stats and players and make trades. You have to factor in contracts, control and certainty. Flames get two core pieces for the long term future.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #714
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I really like this trade.

I think when we missed the playoffs, our mandate was to change the make up of our core. Management for whatever reason probably viewed this as absolutely necessary and I'm on board. There's so much stuff behind the scenes we don't know about. Maybe certain players just didn't fit anymore. Maybe we have a Hoffman in our room and it just hasn't come out yet. We just don't know. When you trade core players, it's very hard to come out of it with an improved roster, if nothing else than for the reason that there are not a lot of core players on other teams available for trade. At most you hope the new core is just as good skill wise, but maybe fits together better.

Speaking specifically about the players involved:

Hamilton - best player in the trade skill wise, but something must be a bit off. Boston got rid of him and now us. On the ice, he's a great offensive threat. Skates well, puts up points etc. He has all the sexy stats. But honestly he's not that great on defence. His defensive decision making is not elite (I'm not saying it's bad), he's a little soft, doesn't engage in the corners and has a kind of mellow attitude on the ice. For a top pair guy, I'd like to see a little more fire, a little more passion on the ice and a better all round game.

Hanifin - not as good as Hamilton right now, but honestly I think he's going to be a better all round defenceman than Hamilton, if he isn't already. He skates just as well as Hamilton, he defends really well, engages in one-on-one battles a little more than Hamilton and I think he can still improve offensively. At worst I think he's a solid #3 or 4.

Ferland - fan favourite, chemistry with Monahan and Gaudreau is well documented, physical presence. But the one thing that sticks out when he plays on the top line to me is that he's not a top line player. Sure, 20 goals is great, but I remember being frustrated by his play because he is so inconsistent. Some days he'll bury feeds from Gaudreau like a 50 goal scorer, other days plays die constantly on his stick. Add to that, he disappears a bit when he's not on the top line. I think we sold high on him.

Lindholm - really big fan of this guy. I think he still has some untapped potential. I see him as a 60 point 1RW. Right handed shot which we don't have a lot of. And he has the pure skill to be a top 6 guy.

Fox - this is the guy that tips the scale for me in terms of Carolina winning the trade (for now), obviously because of his potential. But if rumours are true that he's not too keen on signing here, and if including him tipped the scale enough to get the deal done, then I'm totally ok with it.

Overall I think we came out pretty well in this trade. Moving forward, we now have a young core of Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Bennett and Jankowski. We have Hanifin, Gio, Brodie and soon Valimaki. I personally love this core, especially the forwards. I don't think we got better today, but we definitely did not get worse. And if the dynamics in the room and the make up of the team changes today, maybe that's enough to put us into the playoffs next season and make us a cup contender down the road.

Can't wait for the next move and for the season to start.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHawk12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #715
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I just attempted this trade in Be a GM. The Carolina Hurricanes completely scoffed at my offer.

So there's that!
Old 06-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #716
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
At least his representation was honest and didn't wait until the last minute like Erixon. He gave Treliving two summers to deal with it before he was a free agent in the third summer.

It's not his fault Brad used him as a throw in.
I don't care. I mean yeah it's better I suppose, but he can still F off.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #717
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you would have told me we would have Both Monahan AND Lindholm at that draft, I'd have called you crazy.

Yet here we are and I am a very happy fan today.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #718
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Only one forward who had more hits than Ferland had more goals than Ferland in the entire NHL last year.

Dustin Brown who made $6.5M last year. Ferland makes $1.75M.

Ferland is really getting thrown under the bus now that hes traded.

There really aren't many players like him in the NHL and nobody actually knows what his ceiling may be.
Were you prepared to pay for that potential long term? With a year on his deal Ferland is likely looking to cash in on what could be his only chance at a big payday. Flames moved on which is smart. Ferland has that Bourque feel to me.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #719
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Hanifin's +/- rating was worse each season in Carolina. Reason to worry?
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=170298
How was everyone else's? And was there a change in goalies in those years?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #720
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is a very interesting trade...at first I thought I was going to puke, but now that I've had a bit of time to mull over everything that has happened, I really like it.

I hope this trade is like the first time I tasted blue cheese, because now blue cheese is amazing.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CF84 For This Useful Post: