Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2023, 01:13 PM   #4461
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
This sounds awesome. I'd love to hear more about it and also see some pics. I have always wanted to do something like that.

Via Rail stopped servicing Calgary in 1990 I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Thanks — there are some really good YouTube videos that people have uploaded, thought it would be fun to give it a try. I think this is the most scenic part of the trip as the full trip goes between Vancouver and Toronto.
I looked into this a while ago because I thought it would be really cool but the cost quickly turned me away. I was blown away by how expensive those trips can be.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 01:18 PM   #4462
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
* Get a rental car and explore Oahu. North Shore is great. If you're not renting a car, you can grab one for the day at a hotel in Waikiki at a decent cost
* While up around the North Shore, stop at Fumi's Shrimp Truck
* While going around the island, check out Lanikai Beach as well. Amazing (it's on the east side of the island)
* Cheap delicious eat is Marukame Udon in Waikiki. There's usually a line but it goes quick
* The Pig and the Lady is a good Vietnamese restaurant downtown
* Don't do the Dole Plantation tour. Just felt that was a total waste of time
* Polynesian cultural center/luau was just ok. Did it once but wouldn't again
* This Catamaran is really good and decently priced, right by the Royal Hawaiian - https://www.kepoikai.com/ (also, if early enough in the day drop into the Royal Hawaiian bakery for a croissant or pastry, it's actually unreal and rivals any place I've been to in Paris)
To add:

Kualoa Ranch. One place they filmed Jurassic Park and Hawaii 5-0. So friends went recently and said they actually saw actors/actresses on set filming.

Eat spam musubi. It's pretty decent across the island. No need to specifically go somewhere specific for it. There are places that are marginally better and better themed, but not insanely different IMO.

Ko Olina is a nice area with some nice lagoons to do a beach day. The area is much newer than some areas of Honolulu/Waikiki and reminds me a lot of Maui.

Hanauma Bay. There is a cost and you have to get admission tickets in advance. If you miss out on acquiring admission tickets online, you can go at opening and see if you can get some that way. It's a very nice spot to hang out that isn't too busy or run over, but unless you're snorkeling, it might feel like it's not worth the admission if you are out there only to sit on the beach.

Also, consider that the exchange rate is absolute ass right now. You might find that you're spending money on a near dollar per dollar basis USD vs CAD and then getting wrecked on 30-40% exchange rate. Don't pay like $30 CAD on McDonalds, pay a bit extra and get something more memorable.

Costco. From souvenirs to decent priced poke to snacks and booze... there's always something to see that's probably worth it.

Dole whip is as good from a truck as it is from Dole plantation.

There's tons of good guides. You can follow those.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2023, 01:35 PM   #4463
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
We weren't planning to, mostly train travel, but it does seem a lot cheaper to rent a car. Just not sure how that works with crossing borders in Europe.
As long as you're staying in the Schengen Zone (which is pretty much all of mainland Western Europe), travelling from country to country is no different than driving across provincial borders in Canada or state lines in the US.

I'd suggest a visit to Vimy Ridge is also worth it as a Canadian. It's only about an hour and a half drive from Bruges.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:14 PM   #4464
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My partner and I are heading to the Netherlands and Belgium in early April (a week in each country). We've got most of the Dutch part sorted, but wondering if there are any recommendations for Belgium. We are planning to go to Antwerp, Bruges, Ghent, and Leuven, but could be swayed to check out another spot. Also looking for recommendations on a European sim while we are there.
I just did this trip in November. I lived in the Netherlands for a bit as well.

Bruges is a must and if you can plan around staying there during the week, instead of weekend you can save money on hotels (some restaurants arent open though so if you are planning particular ones, take note)

I really like ghent as well. Just as beautiful but less busy. I havent been to Leuven and only did a quick stop in Antwerp. I assume not going to Brussels is a conscious choice as you are already going to Leuven?

Only about an 1-1.5 hours from Brues/ghent is Ypres which saw some of the heaviest fighting in WW1 for brits and Canadians. Passchendaele is located near there.

If Vimy is too far (i remember it being about 3 hours?) then Ypres could be a great spot if you want to look at some battlefields

Quote:
Quote:
We weren't planning to, mostly train travel, but it does seem a lot cheaper to rent a car. Just not sure how that works with crossing borders in Europe.
Train travel in NL is cheap and everything is close. If you are going from Netherlands to Belgium by train it gets a little pricier. You can take the Thalys from Amsterdam or Rotterdam and it will go to Brussels, but it is pretty expensive. There are a few trains a day that go from Rotterdam to Antwerp and then take trains from there

Last edited by Cappy; 02-24-2023 at 02:18 PM.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 02:59 PM   #4465
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I looked into this a while ago because I thought it would be really cool but the cost quickly turned me away. I was blown away by how expensive those trips can be.
I stumbled across this page — basically 50% off sleeper class fares for certain trips that they’re looking to fill. Mostly sleeper berths but a few 2-person cabins as well. I booked this trip about a month ago, they added some more trips for March but I think many of those got snapped up.

https://www.viarail.ca/en/offers/sle...s-class-deals/
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2023, 04:22 PM   #4466
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
We have kind of zeroed in on the area in Seoul around City Hall to stay, looks like there is lots around there within walking distance, and the metro lines around to get out farther. We are still quite covid cautious, so would prefer places where we have the options to grab food to go or eat outside as well. I see near this area is Cheonggyecheon, which looks to have lots of eating options. And this reclaimed urban stream and area is the kind of thing that is right up our alley.
We stayed at the Fraser Place Central https://www.frasershospitality.com/e...central-seoul/ It is in the area you are looking at and was very nice. There's a major subway station a couple of blocks away. Sounds like you might find the Namdaeman market interesting and is also a short walk away. I think another poster already recommended Gyeongbokgung Palace, as would I. We were with some mobile-challenged people so we took a private bus there but it isn't an overly long walk from Fraser Place.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 08:18 PM   #4467
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This sounds awesome. I'd love to hear more about it and also see some pics. I have always wanted to do something like that.
Just a quick review: Overall I enjoyed the experience and based on the discounted fare I paid do not regret going. To be clear, my trip was not a five star hotel experience nor did I expect it to be. But the train has been around since the 50’s so I wanted a small experience of what that was like.

Sleeping: I was in a semi-private “upper” sleeping berth, which requires a ladder (like a bunk bed) and unlike the “lower” berth does not have a window. It was adequate to rest my head at night and was handy for an afternoon nap, but truth be told I didn’t get a very good sleep either night. They do have other options (including private cabins and their “Prestige” class suites) but those are definitely pricier, especially the latter. And for those in economy (aka coach) class, I personally couldn’t imagine willingly doing that more than one night.

Food: Sleeper class guests get meals included which was a very nice feature; the continental breakfast on the first morning was meh but the rest of the meals were excellent (restaurant/hotel level quality and service). The dining car definitely has a retro feel to it.

Experience: The Edmonton to Vancouver route goes through Jasper and the Rockies; overall the views were nice (especially from the Dome car), but as someone who was born in Calgary and has driven through the Rockies several times as a kid and adult, I honestly wasn’t blown away or anything. Obviously that won’t be the case if you’re from Ontario or elsewhere; I’m guessing the views might be nicer in the summer (it was snowy outside so visibility wasn’t great).

Conclusion: It was a unique way to spend approx 36 hours and to see and experience something I hadn’t before. Hopefully this doesn’t dissuade anyone from trying it but I wanted to pass along my honest thoughts; I realize the value proposition is going to be different for everyone.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2023, 02:38 PM   #4468
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone renewed their passport recently? My general understanding is that things have improved considerably over the past few months.

The online appointment booking site has no availability at any of the centres in Calgary, and the site basically says to just show up in-person. Makes sense if things are back to "normal" again.

So my questions are: What is the queue like these days? Which centre did you go to? What time of day?

Just trying to decide how much time to take off of work. I don't mind waiting around, to be honest, as I can just read and relax a bit. But I also like to know what to expect. Travel isn't until August, so not super urgent, but it still needs to be done soon-ish.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 02:48 PM   #4469
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Has anyone renewed their passport recently? My general understanding is that things have improved considerably over the past few months.

The online appointment booking site has no availability at any of the centres in Calgary, and the site basically says to just show up in-person. Makes sense if things are back to "normal" again.

So my questions are: What is the queue like these days? Which centre did you go to? What time of day?

Just trying to decide how much time to take off of work. I don't mind waiting around, to be honest, as I can just read and relax a bit. But I also like to know what to expect. Travel isn't until August, so not super urgent, but it still needs to be done soon-ish.
Went to the Sundance passport office on Family day, online it was showing a 30min wait, showed up and no line. Submitted the application that day, received it by mail on March 1st. That was submitting through the normal queue, they wouldn't allow me to pay for the 10 day express (had a March 26th travel date).
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suave For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2023, 09:10 AM   #4470
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Also went to the Sundance location last month. Went on a random Wednesday morning thinking it'd be quiet but it was a bit busier than I expected. It took just under 90 minutes (waiting for most of that time, and then about 15 mins once called to the counter), and I had the passport in the mail two weeks later. This was for a brand new passport, not a renewal. Don't know if the process is different.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2023, 10:21 AM   #4471
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My partner and I are heading to the Netherlands and Belgium in early April (a week in each country). We've got most of the Dutch part sorted, but wondering if there are any recommendations for Belgium. We are planning to go to Antwerp, Bruges, Ghent, and Leuven, but could be swayed to check out another spot. Also looking for recommendations on a European sim while we are there.

I did this last spring. I had a private guide and we drove.

From Amsterdam, I headed to Delft and Rotterdam and spent the night. Then I went to Bruges where I spent the night.

From Bruges, it is about 1 1/2 hours to drive to Vimy Ridge.....so worth the effort. From Vimy, it is short drives to all the war cemeteries around Ypres. Also Ypres does a Last Post ceremony every night of the year at 8 pm, don't miss that.

From Ypres, it is about a half hour drive to the German war cemetery, Langemark. That is well worth your time visiting as well as the whole set up of the cemetery and reasoning behind it is totally different than the Allied war cemeteries.

Edit: The Bluff Crater is in this area too and it is not a hard hike at all to get there.

Last edited by redforever; 03-04-2023 at 10:27 AM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 06:43 PM   #4472
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I stumbled across this page — basically 50% off sleeper class fares for certain trips that they’re looking to fill. Mostly sleeper berths but a few 2-person cabins as well. I booked this trip about a month ago, they added some more trips for March but I think many of those got snapped up.

https://www.viarail.ca/en/offers/sle...s-class-deals/
If anyone is interested they just uploaded some new trips — Edmonton to Vancouver (upper berth) and Vancouver to Edmonton (upper/lower available)…
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 12:58 PM   #4473
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know the provinces are phasing it out, but will the US land crossings still accept the enhanced BC drivers license for crossing the border if the license is still valid?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 12:17 PM   #4474
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m flying into the States and have a powdered nutritional supplement that’s off-white. Will it be flagged at inspection? I’ve put a two-week supply into the original bag.

Suggestions?

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 03-19-2023 at 12:58 PM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:07 PM   #4475
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

TIL cocaine is nutritional.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 01:36 PM   #4476
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I’m flying into the States and have a powdered nutritional supplement that’s off-white. Will it be flagged at inspection? I’ve put a two-week supply into the original bag.

Suggestions?
It shouldn't be a big deal. Worst case, if they suspect it being narcotics they will do a field test on it and it should come back negative.

Just be polite and truthful. Don't give the Border Agent any reason to deny you entry.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 02:07 PM   #4477
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
It shouldn't be a big deal. Worst case, if they suspect it being narcotics they will do a field test on it and it should come back negative.

Just be polite and truthful. Don't give the Border Agent any reason to deny you entry.
That’s exactly my plan. I have a bet with my wife as to whether it gets through.
Old 03-19-2023, 02:11 PM   #4478
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s exactly my plan. I have a bet with my wife as to whether it gets through.
Wear clean underwear.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 02:13 PM   #4479
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Wear clean underwear.
Mom, is that you?
Old 03-19-2023, 02:14 PM   #4480
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Probably won’t be a big deal. Brought all sorts of dried and powdered foods through before. If it’s in the original packaging it shouldn’t draw any more scrutiny than a box of pancake or waffle mix.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote