Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2023, 06:48 PM   #4441
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can find an onsen, try one of those. The hotel we stayed at had one, not super traditional onsen, but it was kind of a fun experience. I think the nicer ones are outside of Kyoto.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 07:06 AM   #4442
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I did Airbnb and it was great! What are you looking to do? Party (single?)? Somewhere more quiet (family?)?

I stayed in Hongdae and Itaewon before but both were more busy (which I liked).
This is a trip with the family, kids are 13 and 10. We've done previous trips to Panama City, Paris, Rome, Croatia, and Mexico City with them. We like staying in the busy areas of a city with lots to explore by walking around or taking transit. We never shy away from longer walks to get places either.

We have kind of zeroed in on the area in Seoul around City Hall to stay, looks like there is lots around there within walking distance, and the metro lines around to get out farther. We are still quite covid cautious, so would prefer places where we have the options to grab food to go or eat outside as well. I see near this area is Cheonggyecheon, which looks to have lots of eating options. And this reclaimed urban stream and area is the kind of thing that is right up our alley.

Last edited by Bigtime; 02-23-2023 at 07:19 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 08:53 AM   #4443
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
This is a trip with the family, kids are 13 and 10. We've done previous trips to Panama City, Paris, Rome, Croatia, and Mexico City with them. We like staying in the busy areas of a city with lots to explore by walking around or taking transit. We never shy away from longer walks to get places either.

We have kind of zeroed in on the area in Seoul around City Hall to stay, looks like there is lots around there within walking distance, and the metro lines around to get out farther. We are still quite covid cautious, so would prefer places where we have the options to grab food to go or eat outside as well. I see near this area is Cheonggyecheon, which looks to have lots of eating options. And this reclaimed urban stream and area is the kind of thing that is right up our alley.
That river walk is really cool. I strolled up and down there when I was in Seoul. If you don't mind spending a few bucks on a meal there is an office building right near there that has a restaurant up on the top floor with some great views. I was up there and it was pretty cool but I don't remember the building or restaurant name.

Edit: looks like the restaurant I was referring to was in the Jongno Tower a block from the west end of that river walk. The restaurant seems to be closed now permanently but there might be a new establishment up there in it's place.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 02-23-2023 at 09:11 AM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 12:44 PM   #4444
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Mexico flight deals broke your websites, Chris!
Old 02-23-2023, 01:05 PM   #4445
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
If you can find an onsen, try one of those. The hotel we stayed at had one, not super traditional onsen, but it was kind of a fun experience. I think the nicer ones are outside of Kyoto.
Hakone area is king for onsens, but $$$ and will add 2 days to the trip between Osaka and Kyoto. So many nice Ryokan's to stay at though.

Kurama hot spring north of Kyoto was nice, accepts tattoo's if anyone has one. https://goo.gl/maps/1V4DMrb7uiPpSSDZA Showing temporarily closed, so maybe check closer to the trip. Take train to end of line and then it's a short beautiful walk up a mountain road.

I'm jealous, I have so many different trips for Japan saved in google maps now. Hopefully I can make it back next year. Have a blast for me!
Old 02-23-2023, 01:28 PM   #4446
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was mention of getting a sim card for Japan (and Korea). Something like this do the trick? https://a.co/d/dYduZSJ
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 01:56 PM   #4447
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
There was mention of getting a sim card for Japan (and Korea). Something like this do the trick? https://a.co/d/dYduZSJ

Those would probably work. We got these on a 16-day plan, there is no voice, just data-only which was fine cause.

https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/inte...cess/sim-cards
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 03:33 PM   #4448
jatylo
Draft Pick

I should probably ask here if anyone has any hidden gems.
I'll be heading to Honolulu next weekend. Just wondering if there are any tips from the wise or tours that are worth shelling out for
jatylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 04:47 PM   #4449
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatylo View Post
I'll be heading to Honolulu next weekend. Just wondering if there are any tips from the wise or tours that are worth shelling out for
Leave Honolulu as soon as you can.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:41 PM   #4450
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatylo View Post
* Get a rental car and explore Oahu. North Shore is great. If you're not renting a car, you can grab one for the day at a hotel in Waikiki at a decent cost
* While up around the North Shore, stop at Fumi's Shrimp Truck
* While going around the island, check out Lanikai Beach as well. Amazing (it's on the east side of the island)
* Cheap delicious eat is Marukame Udon in Waikiki. There's usually a line but it goes quick
* The Pig and the Lady is a good Vietnamese restaurant downtown
* Don't do the Dole Plantation tour. Just felt that was a total waste of time
* Polynesian cultural center/luau was just ok. Did it once but wouldn't again
* This Catamaran is really good and decently priced, right by the Royal Hawaiian - https://www.kepoikai.com/ (also, if early enough in the day drop into the Royal Hawaiian bakery for a croissant or pastry, it's actually unreal and rivals any place I've been to in Paris)
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 09:36 PM   #4451
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Oh man I would go back to Oahu just for the shrimp trucks. Drool…
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 10:53 AM   #4452
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ll be boarding the Via Rail Canadian tonight (sleeper class), going from Edmonton to Jasper to Vancouver. Any tips/stories/experiences to share taking this route (or similar)?

It’s too bad it doesn’t go through Calgary as I understand it did many many years ago…
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2023, 12:00 PM   #4453
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My partner and I are heading to the Netherlands and Belgium in early April (a week in each country). We've got most of the Dutch part sorted, but wondering if there are any recommendations for Belgium. We are planning to go to Antwerp, Bruges, Ghent, and Leuven, but could be swayed to check out another spot. Also looking for recommendations on a European sim while we are there.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 12:04 PM   #4454
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I’ll be boarding the Via Rail Canadian tonight (sleeper class), going from Edmonton to Jasper to Vancouver. Any tips/stories/experiences to share taking this route (or similar)?

It’s too bad it doesn’t go through Calgary as I understand it did many many years ago…
This sounds awesome. I'd love to hear more about it and also see some pics. I have always wanted to do something like that.

Via Rail stopped servicing Calgary in 1990 I believe.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 12:18 PM   #4455
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
My partner and I are heading to the Netherlands and Belgium in early April (a week in each country). We've got most of the Dutch part sorted, but wondering if there are any recommendations for Belgium. We are planning to go to Antwerp, Bruges, Ghent, and Leuven, but could be swayed to check out another spot. Also looking for recommendations on a European sim while we are there.
Are you driving? As a Canadian, visiting the Ypres area with all the war memorials feels like a must do to me. We found it incredible. Bruges is great.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:20 PM   #4456
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
This sounds awesome. I'd love to hear more about it and also see some pics. I have always wanted to do something like that.

Via Rail stopped servicing Calgary in 1990 I believe.
Thanks — there are some really good YouTube videos that people have uploaded, thought it would be fun to give it a try. I think this is the most scenic part of the trip as the full trip goes between Vancouver and Toronto.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:50 PM   #4457
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My partner and I are heading to the Netherlands and Belgium in early April (a week in each country). We've got most of the Dutch part sorted, but wondering if there are any recommendations for Belgium. We are planning to go to Antwerp, Bruges
I hear tell that's a place to avoid, your friend might try to kill you and nick your gun and you'll still be in f**** Bruges.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 01:00 PM   #4458
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I hear tell that's a place to avoid, your friend might try to kill you and nick your gun and you'll still be in f**** Bruges.
Definitely don't plan to meet up with Colin Farrell on the trip, so we should be good.
Old 02-24-2023, 01:01 PM   #4459
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Are you driving? As a Canadian, visiting the Ypres area with all the war memorials feels like a must do to me. We found it incredible. Bruges is great.
We weren't planning to, mostly train travel, but it does seem a lot cheaper to rent a car. Just not sure how that works with crossing borders in Europe.
Old 02-24-2023, 01:06 PM   #4460
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We weren't planning to, mostly train travel, but it does seem a lot cheaper to rent a car. Just not sure how that works with crossing borders in Europe.
Borders don't matter in Europe! Truthfully there are some countries they won't let you go, or they need to know, but they aren't where you are going. I found driving pretty easy, the benefit being you can see a lot more, and aren't beholden to a schedule, and don't have to haul bags from train stations to hotels. Drawbacks can be parking(but we picked places that had it) and you can rest on a train. But with limited time for travel, I usually rent for Europe. Getting around the Ypres area really is better with one. We picked up in France and dropped in Germany.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: