Wait, nevermind...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:37 PM   #962
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Um, achshually, (pushes glasses up nose), in this case Kang would be Chu. You meant Kodos.
Boy I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 07:18 AM   #963
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Commander of the HMCS Calgary called the Mayor to have him removed from the Friends of HMCS Calgary Committee:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...oval-1.6651659
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 07:26 AM   #964
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Commander of the HMCS Calgary called the Mayor to have him removed from the Friends of HMCS Calgary Committee:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...oval-1.6651659
Lozer dumps loser.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 11:26 AM   #965
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"I have sent a letter to Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek about exploring the option of expanding Calgary’s LRT system to the Calgary International Airport.

"Calgary is a critical provincial hub for energy, technology and financial excellence in Alberta and is a key focus of the Government of Alberta’s work to grow and diversify our province’s economy. People from all over the world continue to vote with their feet and are moving to Calgary, where they can find a job, an affordable home, a high quality of life and, of course, proximity to our breathtaking mountain parks.
https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...46CC7B21FA2498

How about providing funding for the green line that tens of thousands of Calgarians will use every day, take vehicles off the roads, and get people to work reducing pollution? We'll worry about a low ridership airport line at some point in the future. Trying to force one in now, when we have a far higher priority is just going to ensure us North central residents never have an LRT, despite it being higher priority than SE and the west line. Political meddling is the problem, not the solution, Danielle.

I'll just add that we have already done these studies. Lots of them. We don't need to waste time and moeny repeating what is already done. Smith can read them if she is really that interested. She'll see the green line is an integral part of them. Maybe she should fund that.

https://engage.calgary.ca/airporttransitstudy

https://www.calgary.ca/planning/proj...rttransitstudy

https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings....umentId=157378

Last edited by Fuzz; 11-15-2022 at 11:39 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 11:39 AM   #966
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

How about providing funding for the green line that tens of thousands of Calgarians will use every day, take vehicles off the roads, and get people to work reducing pollution? We'll worry about a low ridership airport line at some point in the future. Trying to force one in now, when we have a far higher priority is just going to ensure us North central residents never have an LRT, despite it being higher priority than SE and the west line. Political meddling is the problem, not the solution, Danielle.
Just make them work from home. Its cheaper. Problem solved.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 11:56 AM   #967
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is why Smith is no friend of the Green Line, this is clearly the opening salvo in destroying it. You'd be a fool to vote for her if the Green line is something you think would benefit Calgary.

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...ine-to-nowhere
Old 11-15-2022, 12:00 PM   #968
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1592583347095900160

And

https://twitter.com/user/status/1592568413893038080
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 12:10 PM   #969
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I'll just add that we have already done these studies. Lots of them. We don't need to waste time and moeny repeating what is already done. Smith can read them if she is really that interested. She'll see the green line is an integral part of them. Maybe she should fund that.
They are funding it - 1/3 of the cost is provincial.

This is a welcome change in tone from the province. Both transit to Banff and to the airport would be great. A C-Train extension to the airport would likely include the NC Green Line as well, similar to how the Canada Line is setup in Vancouver.

Having said that, it might make more sense to include an airport connection with the Banff train to avoid transfers and doing a milk run through north Calgary.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 12:16 PM   #970
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are thinking "well, a transit line to the airport makes a lot of sense!" Here are some ridership numbers.

https://www.calgary.ca/content/dam/w...ats-boards.pdf

So lets be generous and pretend we are Toronto, and will see 10 000 riders a day. Now lets look at the current bus ridership.

https://everydaytourist.ca/city-plan...the-green-line

40,000 a day. Now, the LRT will induce transit demand, so we can see that number being higher, I think I've read around 65 000 at opening day. So what is a better use of transit funds? Something Calgarians will use daily and move at least 6x more passengers? or something that will be used by Calgarians a few times a year?

Note even Montreal uses buses for airport access. This isn't a requirement to be a large city. The numbers and cost tell the story here, and it's a pretty short one. It will make sense when we can connect to the green and blue line.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 12:20 PM   #971
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
They are funding it - 1/3 of the cost is provincial.

This is a welcome change in tone from the province. Both transit to Banff and to the airport would be great. A C-Train extension to the airport would likely include the NC Green Line as well, similar to how the Canada Line is setup in Vancouver.

Having said that, it might make more sense to include an airport connection with the Banff train to avoid transfers and doing a milk run through north Calgary.
They've funded the south section fo the green line, that's all for now(AFAIK). And what you are suggesting isn't what is proposed, or what would make sense.

And if you think this Banff train plan makes any logical sense at all, you haven't been paying attention. They say they can do the whole thing for $1.5 Billion, including rolling stock, new track, AND running from downtown to the airport. The current south section of the Green line is projected to cost $4.9 billion. Now tell me with a straight face their numbers are reasonable. Go ahead.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:43 PM   #972
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fuggin' despise the UCP and Danielle Smith, but I do love the support for the airport connection. If ridership numbers support doing so, pair it with an Olympic bid (which is something the Chamber just released in supporting as part of downtown's revitalization) and get the feds to help pay for the connection too as part of the bid. Anecdotal, but I know whenever I go to the airport, I'd be taking the train if so and same with pretty much everyone I know. May be one of those 'if you build it they will come' scenarios.

Absolutely love the SKyTrain in Vancouver - it's the only way I travel into and around Vancouver now. So jealous they have that system available anytime.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 12:45 PM   #973
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And if you think this Banff train plan makes any logical sense at all, you haven't been paying attention. They say they can do the whole thing for $1.5 Billion, including rolling stock, new track, AND running from downtown to the airport. The current south section of the Green line is projected to cost $4.9 billion. Now tell me with a straight face their numbers are reasonable. Go ahead.
Fun fact - Cochrane recently completed the new train station / transit hub that will serve this future Calgary-Banff connection (as part of a greater transit plan for Cochrane, to be fair). It's happening!
Old 11-15-2022, 12:49 PM   #974
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Fuggin' despise the UCP and Danielle Smith, but I do love the support for the airport connection. If ridership numbers support doing so, pair it with an Olympic bid (which is something the Chamber just released in supporting as part of downtown's revitalization) and get the feds to help pay for the connection too as part of the bid. Anecdotal, but I know whenever I go to the airport, I'd be taking the train if so and same with pretty much everyone I know. May be one of those 'if you build it they will come' scenarios.

Absolutely love the SKyTrain in Vancouver - it's the only way I travel into and around Vancouver now. So jealous they have that system available anytime.
You can take the 300 bus today that conveniently follows the future airport transit route, with the bonus of not needing to transfer.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:53 PM   #975
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muta View Post
fun fact - cochrane recently completed the new train station / transit hub that will serve this future calgary-banff connection (as part of a greater transit plan for cochrane, to be fair). it's happening! :d
LOL.

You do realize this is all just a gambit by the Waterous family to get government to pay for their developments in Banff, right? This is a pretty obvious screw job being setup on taxpayers. And you cheer for Smith supporting it? You should be worried, not excited.

It's not that I don't support a train to Banff, but this proposal is clearly a shrewd business move to extract maximum tax dollars.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:00 PM   #976
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want HSR YEG-YYC to simply decimate Edmonton International Airport.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 01:07 PM   #977
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL.

You do realize this is all just a gambit by the Waterous family to get government to pay for their developments in Banff, right? This is a pretty obvious screw job being setup on taxpayers. And you cheer for Smith supporting it? You should be worried, not excited.

It's not that I don't support a train to Banff, but this proposal is clearly a shrewd business move to extract maximum tax dollars.
C'mon Fuzz, did I really need to use green text?

And the Cochrane project that just opened supports the COLT system in Cochrane as well, and is an intermodal station for the region in general. It's a great project that operates on a bigger platform than just as a Banff connector, as boring as that probably sounds.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:16 PM   #978
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So even Chu voted to have himself removed as deputy mayor.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 01:17 PM   #979
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh, he usually votes 'no' on everything.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:18 PM   #980
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So even Chu voted to have himself removed as deputy mayor.
Isn't that a vote he should be require dot abstain from? Seems pretty conflicty, no? Not that it matters, it's just odd.