Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2022, 03:21 PM   #921
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
This may not be totally rational, but I don't really mind the Mt Royal NIMBYsm. They might be the one time where 'character of the community' is actually a valid argument (even if it feels a little gross) - compared to 50s/60s 'hoods where the character preservation is for decrepit bungalows on 50 foot lots.
A lot of those massive lots and houses have historical designations attached to them. Much of it goes back to the CPR - I could be mistaken but there are a lot of legalities attached to it that grant that land exceptional status. This site has some great photos and context for the area.

https://everydaytourist.ca/calgary-v...gx8lvqvfwqa48a

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 11-09-2022 at 03:28 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 04:30 PM   #922
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I am not that familiar with the Banff Trail situation, but isn't the issue that there is a blanket restrictive covenant that directly conflicts with the ARP and a desire for increased density in that area? In that case I would expect the city to step in and side with more development. I don't see the problem with the existence of other restrictive covenants in the city. It doesn't need to be a "let'er buck" situation. That seems like a bit of a strawman.
The "let 'er buck" situation is a reductionist argument on my part; I'm not really advocating for it (I think it's a terrible idea), just musing aloud what might happen.

But speaking of strawmen, the ARP being used as justification for overturning the restrictive covenant is a strawman of a sort. The conflict with the ARP exists because the City passed an ARP that conflicts with the restrictive covenant. The City created the "conflict". This is part and parcel of why I think this situation is nucking futs.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 04:33 PM   #923
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
I don't want to talk about the people involved anymore because I have nothing good to say about them.
Again, then you shouldn't have brought 'em up in the first place. Don't take ad hominem potshots at them in the first place.

Quote:
As Fighting Banana Slug says, there is a specific situation in Banff Trail that needs to be addressed and it is not a slippery slope to rampant over-development. It is not the same as a park in your area being developed into condos. I think it is irresponsible that the city is letting this small group of people slow down progress that needs to happen because they don't want the development to be in their (and my) backyard, even if that means replacing a meth lab with a safe place for people to live.
You're setting up an absurd false equivalency between "the development" and "meth lab". There is an in-between, you know...

And no, it is exactly the same as the park in my area: there's a restrictive covenant in place on a piece of land that is absolutely ripe for development I don't doubt for a second that the precedent being set here couldn't be used there. No reason at all to believe it couldn't.

Last edited by timun; 11-09-2022 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-09-2022, 04:44 PM   #924
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
A lot of those massive lots and houses have historical designations attached to them. Much of it goes back to the CPR - I could be mistaken but there are a lot of legalities attached to it that grant that land exceptional status. This site has some great photos and context for the area.

https://everydaytourist.ca/calgary-v...gx8lvqvfwqa48a
You should look into what the Scarboro CA is doing. They're pushing to get their entire neighbourhood designated as a historic resource that can't be redeveloped.
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 08:01 PM   #925
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
The "let 'er buck" situation is a reductionist argument on my part; I'm not really advocating for it (I think it's a terrible idea), just musing aloud what might happen.

But speaking of strawmen, the ARP being used as justification for overturning the restrictive covenant is a strawman of a sort. The conflict with the ARP exists because the City passed an ARP that conflicts with the restrictive covenant. The City created the "conflict". This is part and parcel of why I think this situation is nucking futs.
There's no conflict here. The city used restrictive covenants as a sort of precursor to land use bylaws. As the city is the covenantee they have the right to amend or remove the covenant as they see fit.
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cal_guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 10:00 PM   #926
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

No they don't.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:20 AM   #927
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1590694157709983744
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 07:42 AM   #928
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd have more confidence in my councilor if his name wasn't Sean Chu.

Interesting that disapproval for Gondek and council is highest amongst wealthy old males. They like to hate everything.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 07:49 AM   #929
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tell me what those surveyed think of Sean Chu and Dan MacLean, and I will know how skewed that poll is.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:30 AM   #930
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Probably not a popular opinion, but I think Jyoti has quietly done an awesome job so far.

Called Murray's bluff on the arena deal, which in a few years will look brilliant and leave the city with a better deal. Continues to work on the economy and bring business here. Runs amazing Council meetings. And aside from firing her COS, has been scandal free amongst a litany of Council scandals.

Mayor's don't have to be flashy - just need to get the job done. GG Jyoti.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 08:39 AM   #931
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm underwhelmed with city council overall, and my councilor as well. She won't miss an opportunity to spend money or put forward the most inane considerations. I can't think of anything they've actually accomplished at this point.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:20 AM   #932
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don’t actually have any perception of how my councillor has done or how Gondek has done (outside of people being mad at her for big nothings, which I consider a win).

Overall I think that’s a good thing. I don’t want to know how they’re doing… because usually it means they’re doing poorly.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 10:22 AM   #933
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-m...poll-1.6147219

A new poll released Thursday suggests support for Mayor Jyoti Gondek and Calgary city council is sliding.

The one-year report card, released by ThinkHQ Public Affairs, shows Gondek's approval rating dropped to 35 per cent, with 55 per cent of respondents expressing disapproval of the job the mayor has done to date. That marked a three per cent decline from the spring, when Gondek received a 38 per cent approval rating.

There were a lot of strong feelings expressed toward Gondek, most of it negative: 35 per cent said they strongly disapprove of the job she's doing while 11 per cent said they strongly approve.

There were a lot of strong feelings expressed toward Gondek, most of it negative: 35 per cent said they strongly disapprove of the job she's doing while 11 per cent said they strongly approve.

Collectively, councillors received 39 per cent approval, with 35 per cent disapproval. While they tracked slightly ahead of Gondek, the numbers mark a new low for Calgary councillors, with positive sentiment down six per cent since March 2022.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 10:30 AM   #934
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Maybe if she focused more on the city rather than WOKENESS policies, life in calgary would be much better.

You walk outside, you get shot.

And then run over by a ctrain. And then CANCELLED.

Don’t even get me STARTED on the Peace Bridge.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 10:33 AM   #935
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't even get him started!
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 10:55 AM   #936
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-m...poll-1.6147219

A new poll released Thursday suggests support for Mayor Jyoti Gondek and Calgary city council is sliding.
Ha! Timely. Although I did preface my post stating it may not be a popular opinion
Old 11-10-2022, 01:06 PM   #937
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
Maybe if she focused more on the city rather than WOKENESS policies, life in calgary would be much better.

You walk outside, you get shot.

And then run over by a ctrain. And then CANCELLED.

Don’t even get me STARTED on the Peace Bridge.
I only ask because there's actually a few nut jobs on CP lately, but this was sarcasm right?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 01:19 PM   #938
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I only ask because there's actually a few nut jobs on CP lately, but this was sarcasm right?

Looch is a sarcastic Crazy Bacon Legs.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 02:12 PM   #939
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd have more confidence in my councilor if his name wasn't Sean Chu.

Interesting that disapproval for Gondek and council is highest amongst wealthy old males. They like to hate everything.
Interesting in green text? Because that seems completely unsurprising to me.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 02:22 PM   #940
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I find that the biggest advocates of city hall are the people who are new to Calgary and who have experienced not living in a world class city.

The biggest whiners on the other hand, tend to be the people who have lived here the longest, and who take for granted and nit pick everything they can because living in one of the safest, cleanest and well-run places in the world just doesn't give them enough to bitch about on the reg.