Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2022, 10:57 AM   #861
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The person who accused Sean Chu of sexual assault 25 years ago is on Twitter now, discussing what their life has been like since the story was leaked, including property being destroyed and GPS devices put in their child's backpack...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1588528002698465280

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:07 AM   #862
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know if Jen Gerson and "The Line" have covered this Nenshi story? That Rick Ball article isn't really journalism (not a knock, he's an opinion columnist).
Old 11-04-2022, 11:10 AM   #863
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I cannot read Rick Bell articles. Hurts my brain too much.
woob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:11 AM   #864
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Anyone know if Jen Gerson and "The Line" have covered this Nenshi story? That Rick Ball article isn't really journalism (not a knock, he's an opinion columnist).
Seems like the type of thing they will discuss in their weekly podcast. Canadaland is doing the digging on it, I don't suspect they will do their own.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:05 PM   #865
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I haven’t had a chance to read all the stuff here, so I’m just wondering. Wasn’t the scheme to get Nenshi involved and take a bribe? If Chu didn’t know, that doesn’t seem that bad? What am I missing?

(And yeah, Chu might not have a great reputation, but that alone doesn’t necessarily mean he was involved in this planning)
That he didn't know of the scheme just means he's not in the loop. He's not pulling the strings.

But then he fell for the trap. He went out of his way to woo these Russian oligarchs. That's bad. Like, really bad. As Nenshi said on Calgary Eyeopener the other day, council is supposed to let CED deal with trade commissions - Magliocca and Chu have never hosted an economic summit before. Wallace was trying to get Nenshi to skip over the proper channels and process but he didn't take the bait.

In essence, the trap was set for Nenshi, but Chu and Magliocca got caught in it instead.

Last edited by Flames0910; 11-04-2022 at 01:09 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:23 PM   #866
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would even say there's a distinction between falling into a trap, versus gleefully diving face-first into it like these scumbags did
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:25 PM   #867
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

RCMP knew about the alleged plot to entrap Nenshi in 2020:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1588612243989880833
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:35 PM   #868
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Q View Post
I wonder if the two of them both leaned over to sign the letter at the same time and banged their heads together. Idiots.
LOL This post is hilarious. Should have more thanks!
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 02:09 PM   #869
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
RCMP knew about the alleged plot to entrap Nenshi in 2020:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1588612243989880833
Is it just me, or is anyone else a bit startled at what a cesspool Calgary/Alberta politics is turning out to be? It seems to be a continuous firehose of crap lately.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 02:18 PM   #870
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Is it just me, or is anyone else a bit startled at what a cesspool Calgary/Alberta politics is turning out to be? It seems to be a continuous firehose of crap lately.
Is it much different than Kenney and his Kamikaze candidate 4 years ago? This has been getting worse for years and years, it's maybe just passing the point where people shrug their shoulders and accept it? Like, Preston Manning started the whole Alberta Firewall garbage over 20 years ago, and its been downhill since then. Most people just haven't noticed.

Last edited by Fuzz; 11-04-2022 at 02:27 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 02:22 PM   #871
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
In Alberta? Doesn't surprise me at all. Has anyone been watching the provincial government? Ridiculous corruption happening in plain sight, imagine what's happening behind closed doors. Albertans really need to wake up.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 02:54 PM   #872
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
In Alberta? Doesn't surprise me at all. Has anyone been watching the provincial government? Ridiculous corruption happening in plain sight, imagine what's happening behind closed doors. Albertans really need to wake up.
When Kenney cheated to win the UCP leadership race and was rewarded for it by being elected premier, I said it was a dangerous precedent being set. Why wouldn't a wave of corruption follow, there are so many voters in this province who vote "blue no matter who" that they'll never be punished for it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2022, 08:54 AM   #873
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What’s this connection between Chu and Alan Hallman? He also came up as having written a disparaging email to Chu’s sexual assault victim after she started a gofundme for her legal fees.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 09:51 AM   #874
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post

Don’t know about her but checkout Canadaland. They are running a major exposé on it.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2022, 03:05 PM   #875
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What’s this connection between Chu and Alan Hallman? He also came up as having written a disparaging email to Chu’s sexual assault victim after she started a gofundme for her legal fees.
Hallman is a long time conservative political operative in Calgary in particular, but Alberta as well.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 01:57 AM   #876
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
No, we're a province full of "vote blue no matter what" mouth breathers both rural and urban. It takes so ****ing much for a conservative party to lose power in this province. We're just ripe for the picking for conservative corruption and abuse.

It's ridiculous. I'm taking steps to leave the province and absolutely will follow through if the UCP gets elected again with Smith leading. Enough is enough with this backwater bull****.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 05:17 AM   #877
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
No, we're a province full of "vote blue no matter what" mouth breathers both rural and urban. It takes so ****ing much for a conservative party to lose power in this province. We're just ripe for the picking for conservative corruption and abuse.

It's ridiculous. I'm taking steps to leave the province and absolutely will follow through if the UCP gets elected again with Smith leading. Enough is enough with this backwater bull****.
I think you’re doing the right thing.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 07:37 AM   #878
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

Are you moving to a place that votes left wing no matter what? Like Victoria? Cause its the same problem. Look at what just happened with the NDP in BC. Also federally the Liberals can be a clumsy band of corrupt elites, and if us plebs notice they shout “Abortion!” Or some other manipulative crap that gets us back in line.

UCP isn’t winning, if they do however what does that say about the competition really? NDP had power. They aren’t entitled to power they have to earn it. If beating Smith is impossible cause your track record stinks and you won’t work to moderate you message that is on you not hick Alberta.

Same thing is playing out in the US. Joe Biden is a moron who cancelled a pipeline and now finds himself in an energy crisis. Yet still gets up there talking about killing coal last week. Dems can’t figure it out, and its their entitled mindset that is helping kill democracy down there, it isn’t just Trump.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 08:06 AM   #879
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ Even a left-wing Mecca like BC (relative to the rest of Canada) has had conservative governments in the recent past. Alberta had a fluke election that saw Wildrose split the vote and the PC's shooting themselves in the foot in order to get one term of anything but blue.

Alberta is an outlier in Canadian politics to our detriment.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 08:11 AM   #880
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Are you moving to a place that votes left wing no matter what? Like Victoria? Cause its the same problem. Look at what just happened with the NDP in BC. Also federally the Liberals can be a clumsy band of corrupt elites, and if us plebs notice they shout “Abortion!” Or some other manipulative crap that gets us back in line.

UCP isn’t winning, if they do however what does that say about the competition really? NDP had power. They aren’t entitled to power they have to earn it. If beating Smith is impossible cause your track record stinks and you won’t work to moderate you message that is on you not hick Alberta.

Same thing is playing out in the US. Joe Biden is a moron who cancelled a pipeline and now finds himself in an energy crisis. Yet still gets up there talking about killing coal last week. Dems can’t figure it out, and its their entitled mindset that is helping kill democracy down there, it isn’t just Trump.
It actually is on "hick Alberta". When all you need to do is sweep rural ridings, and you know those people will vote for the party with Conservative in the name, no matter what, it's not the NDP's fault. What you are saying would be the equivalent of trying to get Christians to switch to Islam. You may convert a few, but nowhere near enough to move the needle.