Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #1
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Origin of the Coronavirus

I don't know if this has been posted anywhere yet, I haven't seen it.

The Epoch Times has released their version in a documentary on the origins of the virus. I understand Epoch Times is closely related to Falun Gong and obviously very anti PRC, but the journalist presents a very convincing case for covid19 originating in a Chinese lab, not the Wuhan market. Whether it was accidentally released or not who knows, but it's pretty clear the outbreak was well on its way knowingly by the ccp, who did the opposite of everything they could do to keep it contained.

If nothing else, it's a reminder of how archaic and evil the Chinese communist party really is. That, I don't believe is disputable.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/who-cr...s_3305798.html

Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:10 PM   #2
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every credible scientist I have heard has stated there is no doubt in their mind this started like every other corona virus, from close contact between two species probably as a result of poor animal husbandry, I have no love for the PRC but this rubbish is just that, biased rubbish.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #3
Alpha_Q
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The article was reading quite nicely, but then I hit the third and fourth word, and I lost interest.
The Epoch Time's involvement in the whole Beauty of Life mess is enough evidence to dismiss anything they write as biased, likely invented nonsense. Although some of their articles touch on important subjects, their style and proclivity of invention, neither does them, nor anyone else any service.
Alpha_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #4
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

you should be embarrassed to have posted this.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #5
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah, no. "CCP virus" is an instant way to completely destroy your credibility.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:30 PM   #6
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Every credible scientist I have heard has stated there is no doubt in their mind this started like every other corona virus, from close contact between two species probably as a result of poor animal husbandry, I have no love for the PRC but this rubbish is just that, biased rubbish.
You may be right on this but no doubt you remain consistent. Every post of yours is an absolute. First to chime in with undeniable authority on everything. Boris Johnson is definitely on a ventilator. Been unconscious for days. Blah blah. Give it up man already.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #7
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am right and my statement is absolute, every credible scientist I have heard has said this was a result of poor animal husbandry, now maybe there is a vast volume of credible scientists out there I haven't heard from but that doesn't make my statement about what I have seen or heard wrong.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:35 PM   #8
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Read my post again.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #9
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
You may be right on this but no doubt you remain consistent. Every post of yours is an absolute. First to chime in with undeniable authority on everything. Boris Johnson is definitely on a ventilator. Been unconscious for days. Blah blah. Give it up man already.
I've seen some very absolute posts from you in just the last 24hrs.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Clearly this is nonsense. We all know it was the 5G towers.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #11
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The secretive nature and misdirection the regime uses to try and control the narrative and write history is certainly going to fuel conspiracy theories.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:42 PM   #12
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dr. Shiva Ayyandurai, the dude who says he invented email when he was 14 and has 4 ph.d's from MIT is all over this conspiracy stuff. He does have a lot of degrees but he didn't invent email.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:50 PM   #13
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't watch the whole video but considering life as we know it sucks right now everything is on the table where and how this thing started, we do know the Chinese government did what they do best and suppressed this until they couldn't anymore and in turn allowed it to spread around the world. I'm not sure what "every credible scientist" even means because most just guess and say it probably originated from a bat because the virus is closely related to a bat corona virus but not one as far as I know guarantee it.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 05:10 PM   #14
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not planning on watching the video, but considering its the "FIRST" to discover the "hidden TRUTH" I don't think I'm going to be missing out on much lol
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:44 PM   #15
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There is a lot of misinformation related to Covid-19 and wikipedia addresses this for anyone interested. This current conspiracy theory is addressed almost at the top, see Chinese biological weapon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misinf...virus_pandemic

On the flip side it was interesting to watch the video and see where this conspiracy theory is coming from. The 2015 nature paper published by Shi Zhengli isn't fabricated and they indeed did create a new hybrid Sars virus that is very similar to covid-19.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.3985

This research was done at the Wuhan Institute of Virology and was controversial because some virologists worried that there was considerable risk associated with this type of research. The following nature paper outlines this (see the recently added editors note though).

https://www.nature.com/news/engineer...search-1.18787

I'm not suggesting this proves anything but at this point it wouldn't completely surprise me if it was engineered and accidentally released from the Wuhan lab. Too many coincidences to completely ignore. That said I trust the experts which are saying this most likely originated naturally and closely resembles viruses found in pangolins and bats.

At the very least I think we can all agree that China needs to regulate wet markets and we also should discuss whether the 2015 research justifies the potential risk. Reading the two nature papers I've linked was a bit chilling given where we are.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CASe333 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #16
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
you should be embarrassed to have posted this.

Why? Am I supposed to tow the mass majority line, or forever be banished in embarrasment? Give me a break, it's a message board where all kinds of different thoughts and news are shared.

Maybe I should've started by stating that this isn't proven fact, or even my belief as to how the virus began. I simply posted it for curiosity/interest sake, and did mention it was Epoch Time's version. In my opinion, the reporter did present a convincing case, whether you, me, or anyone wants to believe it or not. I never said I did or didn't. What I took from that video more than anything, was how much the CCP knew and attempted to cover up at the beginning and as it progressed, regardless of the virus source.

As far as Epoch Times goes, I regularly look at alternative sources of "news" and attempt to balance the kowtow to the left, mainstream media reports. Most every source is leaning toward something, but I think it's healthy to form an opinion from an aggregate of biases. Usually, as "they" say, the facts lie in the middle. For anyone relying on mainstream "news" as a source, to be certain of anything, is downright harmful to themselves and ignorant, especially times like these.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 06:03 PM   #17
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Usually when something such as this is posted, it's because the person posting believes it.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:06 PM   #18
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Usually when something such as this is posted, it's because the person posting believes it.
And should always be followed by

Interesting...if true.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:33 PM   #19
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well here’s an article from the Washington post saying that it’s possible this could have been an accidental release from the bio lab.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.wash...outputType=amp

Highlights include:
No evidence of bats being sold at this seafood market
The bats that carry these viruses live in southern China, 1000s of Km’s from Wuhan
Bat coronaviruses were being studied at the virology institute
Institute is 300 yards from seafood market
First case had no known link to seafood market
Articles postulating this could have been an accidental release scrubbed from Chinese internet.

There’s a microbiologist from Rutgers quoted in the story, hopefully he’s credible enough for the people on this board. It’s at least a possibility, nothing more nothing less. In any case, postulating that scientists know 100% that this originated from an animal market is just dumb. It’s weird to see this pandemic play out and people refuse to allow possibilities for variance in things we most assuredly don’t know, like transmissibility fatality rates and origin. No one has a scientific background I guess.

Last edited by DiracSpike; 04-11-2020 at 06:35 PM.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 06:39 PM   #20
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

I can honestly say I really don't know what to believe regarding the whole thing. I do believe there's misinformation though, and probably lies. Not just the Chinese government either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post: