Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2022, 11:00 AM   #421
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Snagged a beautiful carving board from Surferguy the other day. The pictures don't do it justice. The thing is smooth as glass, and put together incredibly well. I got one of the Chevron style ones. Maybe he can post a pic of it.

Thanks Surferguy!
Thanks for the support Pylon! It was a pleasure to meet you. This is the board Pylon picked up.

Id also like to share that tomorrow Ill be at the Wildwood Artisan Market from 9-4pm. Come say hi if you are out and in the area. Or make it your mission on the day and come see me. Ill be there either way!

All the best CP

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 10:51 AM   #422
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I’ll be at the Wildwood Artisan Market until 4pm today!

Come say hi

Old 12-04-2022, 10:01 PM   #423
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Hopefully this qualifies as making
For the past couple of years I've put together calendars with my own photos to fundraise for conservation groups. This year I changed it up and collaborated with 12 other Alberta based photographers for 2023's calendar.

All proceeds donated to Alberta Wilderness Association.
https://www.zentravellers.com/product/2023-calendar/

Past couple years I sold about 200 calendars with just my photos. Figured with the other (better) photographers we would sell more so I ordered 250.

Have sold a respectable 120ish which means approx $1500 for donation....but if anybody is on the fence I'd rather not be stuck with a box of 100 calendars that could have been another $1500 donated Alberta Wilderness Association. *hint hint*

I'll just leave this link here again: https://www.zentravellers.com/product/2023-calendar/

Last edited by Torture; 12-04-2022 at 10:06 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2022, 10:28 AM   #424
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Do we have any 3d printing makers in our midst? I have some questions about Thingverse, 3d printing, and whether it's better to just buy something from a maker off Etsy.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:50 AM   #425
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Do we have any 3d printing makers in our midst? I have some questions about Thingverse, 3d printing, and whether it's better to just buy something from a maker off Etsy.

Ask away. You can send me a PM if you don't want to post it here.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 02:04 PM   #426
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone here have a small wood lathe? I need some replacement wheels and axels for an old school wooden toy bus from my early youth.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 03:00 PM   #427
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I’m at a market again today. Anybody around Killarney area?

I’ll be at the community center (28th St and 28th ave SW) at the Last Minute Market until 9 pm tonight.

Come say hi!

The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2022, 10:39 AM   #428
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Surferguy - sorry about the overdue 'thank you' but I did want to give you a shout out. Thanks so much for all the serving paddles you made for my customers. I have been getting phone calls from them about how much they love them. They really are great, and you delivering them all to me was the icing on the cake. Great work and thanks again...you made me look good and it was nice to see you!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2022, 12:19 PM   #429
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Surferguy - sorry about the overdue 'thank you' but I did want to give you a shout out. Thanks so much for all the serving paddles you made for my customers. I have been getting phone calls from them about how much they love them. They really are great, and you delivering them all to me was the icing on the cake. Great work and thanks again...you made me look good and it was nice to see you!
Thanks for the kind words Sliver. I’m glad that your customers are receiving them well. I will echo your sentiments, it was also great to see you and shoot the breeze for a few mins. Next time let’s have a beer in the sun somewhere!

I’d also like to add a big thank you to the community at large for your support once again. I’ve had more than a few sales come from CP users and I genuinely appreciate the opportunity to pass along a piece from my workshop. I raise a glass in gratitude.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2022, 01:20 AM   #430
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

So Sliver is the reason why there's almost no serving paddles left to order? **** you, man.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 07:40 AM   #431
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
#### that is a great idea.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 07:54 AM   #432
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
So Sliver is the reason why there's almost no serving paddles left to order? **** you, man.
Actually Sliver reached out in advance to make sure he wasn’t depleting my stock before any upcoming markets before he made the purchase. Also you snooze you lose Jayswin! Double also note - I still have lots of serving paddles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
#### that is a great idea.
Not all hero’s wear capes UBC

Old 12-22-2022, 08:11 AM   #433
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Not all hero’s wear capes UBC
Agreed some wear clip on ties and drive Rascals

I will say that next time I need a gift for clients I'll be keeping this in mind.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2022, 09:54 AM   #434
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Not to be a doosh, but I do try to use local companies every year for my customer gifts. This year was really good with the serving paddles...definitely the best I've done thanks to Surferguy.

Another year I did these fun gift boxes from https://www.oldefair.com/. They make popcorn (like a gourmet Kernels) and candy boxes. That was a big hit.

Another year I did gift packages from The Silk Road Spice Merchant https://silkroadspices.ca/. He put together a great package with multiple spices for my customers.

Another year I did chocolate from https://www.choklat.com/site/homepage.asp. That was so good and I should have bought a couple extra boxes for myself.

Basically, if there's a local Calgary company making stuff, that's who I'm buying from at Christmas. Gotta support our team! I don't fata around with Pot 'O Gold or Costco or anything.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2022, 10:56 AM   #435
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not to be a doosh, but I do try to use local companies every year for my customer gifts. This year was really good with the serving paddles...definitely the best I've done thanks to Surferguy.

Another year I did these fun gift boxes from https://www.oldefair.com/. They make popcorn (like a gourmet Kernels) and candy boxes. That was a big hit.

Another year I did gift packages from The Silk Road Spice Merchant https://silkroadspices.ca/. He put together a great package with multiple spices for my customers.

Another year I did chocolate from https://www.choklat.com/site/homepage.asp. That was so good and I should have bought a couple extra boxes for myself.

Basically, if there's a local Calgary company making stuff, that's who I'm buying from at Christmas. Gotta support our team! I don't fata around with Pot 'O Gold or Costco or anything.
now i want to make Sliver a t-shirt that says "i don't fata around with pot'o gold" that he can rock while cruising on the rascal!
Old 12-22-2022, 04:16 PM   #436
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

You do damn nice work Surferguy. Beautiful craftsmanship.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2022, 09:45 PM   #437
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #438
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Here are the results of a small side project I’ve been working on this year.

I’ve been trying to make a few fun clips to promote the different styles of boards I create.

(Two of the clips are from last year but they are fun so I posted them again).

Enjoy (I hope!)

The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 07:38 AM   #439
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

First model I've built in over a year, and I had to go big. HMS Hood is ready to put to sea!

This is a 1/700 scale kit (about 14 inches long), and the base is the usual styrofoam/foil combo. The cannon smoke is painted cotton, but I figured it needed something special, so I cannibalized some tea lights and wired 'em up (haven't tried actual wiring since my Hindenburg project years back) to get some muzzle flash. and did it ever work!

Couldn't find any photos of Hood firing her guns, so I used the pic of USS Iowa firing a broadside as inspiration. It came in handy not just for the guns, but the shockwave on the water.

REALLY happy with this. and I want to do another naval battle, only with pirate ships or with other wooden war vessels!

The kit came with a bonus of an E-class destroyer in the same scale (in the last photo). It's going to get its own display soon - I'm thinking with sea monsters!

Edit: my gifs weren't working, so I've added short videos of the cannons firing:

Spoiler!

- Surferguy

Last edited by Puppet Guy; 01-16-2023 at 07:55 AM. Reason: needed to add cannon fire videos!
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:32 AM   #440
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Daaaang, those firing cannons are so sick. Nice job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: