Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Agostino 0 0%
Andersson 2 0.53%
Arnold 3 0.79%
Billins 0 0%
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 1 0.26%
Culkin 0 0%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Gilmour 0 0%
Granlund 118 31.22%
Grant 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 0 0%
Hickey 124 32.80%
Kanzig 1 0.26%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 84 22.22%
Kulak 0 0%
Kylington 29 7.67%
Mangiapane 0 0%
McDonald 0 0%
Morrison 2 0.53%
Ollas Mattsson 0 0%
Rafikov 2 0.53%
Sieloff 1 0.26%
Smith 1 0.26%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 0 0%
Wotherspoon 10 2.65%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #81
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Treliving is showing that he is methodical and just has back up plans for his back up plans. He brought in Vets in case the rookies didn't make it last year.

This year he in going in with 3 goalies, plethora or dmen and forwards because you never know what is going to happen in preseason. I don't think he is the type of person to be cornered because option 'A' fell through.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #82
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
And where is Raymond.... for the next 2 years.
Realistically not playing with the Flames.

Quote:
If it happens that Hudler and Jones start the season playing better than Frolik (even chance of that IMO)...
All three players you mention are so different that I don't think you can compare them as you are attempting to do here. Frolik will almost certainly start on the 2nd line, but based on how he was used last season in Wpg, I would expect him to move quite freely throughout the lineup as needs present themselves. one of his greatest strengths is his exceptional versatility, and this will be a tremendous asset for the Flames in the coming years.

Quote:
...and Jooris and Granlund are as good or better than Frolik (longer shot but not outside the realm of rational thought...)
This is just not going to happen—at least, not for a little while, if at all. I would say that entering this season, it most certainly is "outside the realm of rational thought" to think that either Jooris or Granlund could supplant Frolik. Again, different kinds of players, with different roles.

Quote:
(...all are NHL level players) who gets to sit and who gets the 4th line minutes?
The parenthetical bit is fairly debatable. As for the question itself, the answer to who sits and who plays on the 4th line is whomever is best suited. The answer to that question may change from one game to the next and according to varying circumstances, which includes injuries, schedules, trades, and development. You have a really pronounced (and odd!) myopic view of team structure, coaching, player development, and deployment.

Quote:
...You can see the meritocracy that works so well for the Flames last year starting to crumble....
Hahahaha! ...What on earth?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #83
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveLamp View Post
Voting Kylington for the 1000th time in a row
I'm with ya. hahah
Old 07-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #84
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw
And where is Raymond.... for the next 2 years

Don't know, I can't see the future.

Quote:
If it happens that Hudler and Jones start the season playing better than Frolik (even chance of that IMO) and Jooris and Granlund are as good or better than Frolik (longer shot but not outside the realm of rational thought... all are NHL level players) who gets to sit and who gets the 4th line minutes? You can see the meritocracy that works so well for the Flames last year starting to crumble....
Oh me oh my.

Hee hee. If Jooris and Granlund are as good, or better than Frolik, this is a bad thing for the Flames?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #85
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Time for another runoff...
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #86
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Come on folks, let's just give it Granlund and carry on. He deserves a high rank this summer. The kids with all the question marks and "upside" should be below someone who is such a good prospect you can put him in the lineup today.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #87
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If it happens that Hudler and Jones start the season playing better than Frolik (even chance of that IMO) and Jooris and Granlund are as good or better than Frolik (longer shot but not outside the realm of rational thought... all are NHL level players) who gets to sit and who gets the 4th line minutes? You can see the meritocracy that works so well for the Flames last year starting to crumble....
You make it sound like having depth is a bad thing. It's not. It's a long season and many of these young players will be able to force their way onto the team when their opportunity arises.

Re: Frolik, he's a decent depth signing because he can play all 3 forward positions. Raymond was frustrating last season and I can't imagine he factors in for much longer, but at least with Frolik we get an experienced player, Cup winner, who has some degree of versatility. I don't get why you don't rate the player; he brings skill and intelligence, even if he doesn't rate highly on your GRIT gibber jabber. Keep in mind that we can expect perennial GRIT favourite David Jones to be injured for a good chunk of the season too, so a durable vet RW was an essential acquisition for this team to compete.

To me Poirier is the most exciting NHL-ready forward prospect we have (not named Bennett), but another long stint in the AHL is not going to hurt him. Think Nyquist in Detroit; sometimes a bit of extra percolation works wonders for these kids. Granlund is definitely NHL-ready and useful, but we may as well take advantage of his last year of waiver eligibility while we can. These kids have good attitudes. If they exhibit prima donna bull$#!t because they haven't been handed a roster spot then we know they're not going to fit the ethos of Hartley's Flames team. We also know from recent experience that if a youngster is good enough to displace veterans for a place on the roster Hartley will allow that to happen. The Country Club days are over and the organisation is full of talent in most every department. Rejoice, you fool!
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:42 PM   #88
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I really wish posters would just accept the guidelines Bingo set out and not try to be rebellious and not vote for guys because they don't agree with metrics.

I mean there's enough people voting that it likely won't cause much issue, but it's still pretty selfish and silly to not vote properly as per the guidelines.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:51 PM   #89
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

And I can't even begin to understand what Ricardodw's going on about. Like seriously, if you try to follow his stream of thought, you'll find yourself lost in the Rocky Mountains with no chance of rescue. I think it's something like;

- We didn't have meritocracy last year because we brought in guys like Raymond/Setogushi

- Then all of a sudden we did have meritocracy last year but now it's crumbling this year, even though this year hasn't started yet

- Where is Raymond for two years?

- Jooris/Granlund better than Frolik

I honestly try to just let bygones be bygones for the most part, and if his posts were just innocent ramblings I would, but with him he's lost in the woods and at the same time condescending and convinced everyone around him is ignorant and stupid.

It's truly fascinating, but at the same time frustrating.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #90
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted Granlund last time around but development camp now has me voting Klimchuk
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #91
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
And I can't even begin to understand what Ricardodw's going on about. Like seriously, if you try to follow his stream of thought, you'll find yourself lost in the Rocky Mountains with no chance of rescue. I think it's something like;

- We didn't have meritocracy last year because we brought in guys like Raymond/Setogushi

- Then all of a sudden we did have meritocracy last year but now it's crumbling this year, even though this year hasn't started yet

- Where is Raymond for two years?

- Jooris/Granlund better than Frolik

I honestly try to just let bygones be bygones for the most part, and if his posts were just innocent ramblings I would, but with him he's lost in the woods and at the same time condescending and convinced everyone around him is ignorant and stupid.

It's truly fascinating, but at the same time frustrating.
Use the ignore button. Please. It's the only thing that will help.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #92
Monahan23
Scoring Winger

Exp:

toss up between Granlund and Hickey, I went with Hickey. Klimchuk's close as well
Monahan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #93
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So many runoffs, so much time.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #94
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I voted Klimchuk in this, but I'll be swinging my vote over to Hickey in the runoff.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:39 PM   #95
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

lets start the runoff poll already
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #96
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

They were basically tied in the previous runoff poll, tied here, just call it a tie and move on. IMO of course.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:16 AM   #97
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Trust me, Treliving is part of an intergalactic pre-invasion special unit. Treliving is literally signing NHL athletes and then having them abducted suddenly and secretly, while saying: "We shipped him off to Adirondack". This year, he will be sneaky and say: "We shipped him off to Stockton". He knows we are too lazy and disinterested to check, but they never arrive there!! That's the crazy part man!

Fortunately for McGrattan, the Aliens were just not big enough to handle him, and he fought his way to freedom and has escaped now with the help of some woman named Ana Heim who keeps attack-trained waterfowl (apparently, Aliens are terrified of bids that go to water - seriously, they think you either fly or you swim, you shouldn't be able to do both!). Raymond is on the small side, and his RGI (Ricardo Gargantuan Intergalactic Mass and Aggression Index) doesn't bode well for him. I really predict he is next.

So don't worry. Whenever you make your opening day roster and you find yourself including Raymond, just smile and think: "Fire in the Sky" baby.. Fire in the sky indeed.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:33 AM   #98
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wotherspoon is going to take quite a tumble in the rankings. I suppose it's not a bad thing as lots of guys are stepping up and taking spots but I've always been a fan of his. Hopefully he gets a shot this year or is moved somewhere where he can play steady minutes.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #99
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is Bennett going to play any games in the AHL this year?
Everyone else: (talking about Granlund)

You: (randomly brings Bennett up)
Old 07-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #100
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Everyone else: (talking about Granlund)

You: (randomly brings Bennett up)
wow you have a pathetic life....

The best use of your time is to fine tooth comb my comments and attempt ridicule them out of context. Did it make you feel better ?

IIRC (not worth MY time to look it up and trust you will go back and validate) my comment you quoted was in response to Codynw saying that he does not consider Granlund a prospect as he has for all intents and purposes graduated to the NHL.

My input to the conversation was that based on the same criteria Bennett has graduated as well and might not be considered a prospect any more...

sorry that comment was above your level of logic comprehension and threw you off.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote