Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Agostino 0 0%
Andersson 2 0.53%
Arnold 3 0.79%
Billins 0 0%
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 1 0.26%
Culkin 0 0%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Gilmour 0 0%
Granlund 118 31.22%
Grant 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 0 0%
Hickey 124 32.80%
Kanzig 1 0.26%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 84 22.22%
Kulak 0 0%
Kylington 29 7.67%
Mangiapane 0 0%
McDonald 0 0%
Morrison 2 0.53%
Ollas Mattsson 0 0%
Rafikov 2 0.53%
Sieloff 1 0.26%
Smith 1 0.26%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 0 0%
Wotherspoon 10 2.65%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #21
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Is Bennett going to play any games in the AHL this year?
Bennett can't play in the AHL this year. It's either Kingston or Calgary.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #22
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor Granny, but at least Hickey is getting voted ahead of Kylington so I'm not too disappointed.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #23
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Kylington's not even going to make the top 10 at this rate....you guys are crazy.
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #24
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Kylington's not even going to make the top 10 at this rate....you guys are crazy.
Sorry that I don't think a guy who went 60th overall less than a month ago is a top prospect.

If he shows a lot of improvement this year, we'll see, but for now I see a talented kid with a lot of work to do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #25
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If a 60th overall draft pick from the most recent draft jumps into your top ten it doesn't say much about the status of the current prospects.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #26
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

perhaps we should just do this list in order that guys were picked in the draft....
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #27
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
perhaps we should just do this list in order that guys were picked in the draft....
What has he done to show that he's a top prospect?
Old 07-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #28
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

This fervent disagreement is a good thing. It shows depth in my opinion. Despite having our elite group of young players already graduated (Gaudreau / Monahan / Bennett up front and Brodie / Hamilton in the back), we have a really strong group of next-tier prospects that should keep a youthful suffusion of talent incoming for the next little while.

Went Klimchuk, but could definitely make a case for Hickey, Wotherspoon, Granlund, the two Swede Ds, and even McDonald.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #29
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kylington has all kinds of potential.

But he is also raw , and there are still a couple question marks.

When he shows some progression towards his potential, I have no doubt he will skyrocket up the list (wouldn't be surprised if he jumps into top 5 next year).

But until that progression begins to actually happen, he is not a top 10 prospect.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #30
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Ok?

I don't agree. He played over half of last season and didn't look out of place. I think he's an NHL player now. He may be pushed back to the AHL but it will be due to the team's depth and his two way contract, not because he doesn't belong.
Well you're certainly free to define "prospect" in any way you choose, but choosing to use a different metric than the one laid out in the OP of Round 1 sort of defeats the purpose. Atleast for your vote.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #31
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
For the guys that were drafted this year, draft order is probably the best metric for where they rank as prospects. Kylington may turn into a top prospect, but as of today there are 59 players that were picked ahead of him by the scouts of 30 NHL teams. That is a pretty good indication of where he ranks among his peers.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brewmaster For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #32
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

disgusted by the Granlund hate.
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:03 AM   #33
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Yeah, I'm as excited about Kylington as anyone else, but I'd have a hard time ranking him ahead of Andersson less than 2 weeks after our own amateur scouting staff had Andersson ranked as a higher priority.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #34
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanda View Post

Did I miss something?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #35
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanda View Post
What "hate"? Jeez.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #36
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Kylington has all kinds of potential.

But he is also raw , and there are still a couple question marks.

When he shows some progression towards his potential, I have no doubt he will skyrocket up the list (wouldn't be surprised if he jumps into top 5 next year).

But until that progression begins to actually happen, he is not a top 10 prospect.
To me it makes total sense for the Jankowski voters to vote for Kylington next. Both players have huge upside but are very raw. Depends what a poster values in a prospect, which is what makes these polls interesting.

Also, last year Smith beat out MacDonald despite being drafted later than him that year, so it's not unheard of for a guy to finish ahead of a guy who was just drafted before him.

But I am voting Granlund and have been since Poirer was on the board. He has just been too successful playing against better competition than these other prospects. The guy has been good in every league so far
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #37
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Granlund hate?

I don't see it that way at all. The Flames have a much deeper defensive depth and for me I think that there should be a defenseman as a top prospect. Hickey seems like the best of the bunch. Plus you have two goalies that everyone is pretty high on and a couple of forwards who show real promise. I personally probably would have put Granlund ahead of Jankowski but overall I think it is just that he has fallen down the list. Other prospects have improved immensely and show tantalizing upside. Granlund could still end up being the best of the bunch, but he didn't show as much this past year as Ferland, Hickey, Gillies, etc. That's why this is so much fun, because you get to compare how CP thinks about prospects from year to year.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #38
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
This fervent disagreement is a good thing. It shows depth in my opinion. Despite having our elite group of young players already graduated (Gaudreau / Monahan / Bennett up front and Brodie / Hamilton in the back), we have a really strong group of next-tier prospects that should keep a youthful suffusion of talent incoming for the next little while.

Went Klimchuk, but could definitely make a case for Hickey, Wotherspoon, Granlund, the two Swede Ds, and even McDonald.
Absolutely. As far as rebuilds go I would say the Flames have completed phase 1, which is the establishment of a good young core. With Brodie, Hamilton, Monahan, JG, and Bennet we have, in my opinion, an elite young core that should be able to carry this franchise on their talent.
Phase 2, once our core has been signed, is Cap management that is helped greatly by the addition of cheap servicable players on ELC's and bridge deals. It would be great if some of the guys we are arguing over now become stars but I doubt any of them will, and the best part is none of them have to. Swapping Jankowski in for Stajan, or Hickey in for Wideman is key, and what will allow the Flames to remain competitive and below the cap. Our group of servicable second tier prospects that can be cheaply inserted into the lineup is one of the organizational strengths right now, it's also something a team like the Oilers doesnt have that will end up hurting them.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #39
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
To me it makes total sense for the Jankowski voters to vote for Kylington next. Both players have huge upside but are very raw. Depends what a poster values in a prospect, which is what makes these polls interesting.

Also, last year Smith beat out MacDonald despite being drafted later than him that year, so it's not unheard of for a guy to finish ahead of a guy who was just drafted before him.

But I am voting Granlund and have been since Poirer was on the board. He has just been too successful playing against better competition than these other prospects. The guy has been good in every league so far
Agree with what you're saying but for me, the difference is that Jankowski showed some real progression last year.

Remember, he didn't crack the top 10 in the prior 2 years (too raw), but now that he is showing more legitimacy, he has moved up.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #40
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Granlund again for me. I don't necessarily feel bad for him, more excited because we have prospects that are making this poll extremely interesting. And that has more to do with their potential than anything.
flame^thrower is offline   Reply With Quote