Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-13-2022, 08:54 PM   #1121
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lol, talking about someone kicking a car that almost hit him and his dog by driving dangerously while they have a rapist on the same council.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 09:12 PM   #1122
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
Lol, talking about someone kicking a car that almost hit him and his dog by driving dangerously while they have a rapist on the same council.
Do we know that is exactly what happened with him or is that just an opinion and what has been generally reported?

This will all get sorted out in the courts but what if significant damage happened to the car and he threatened the driver?

As for Sean Chu, although what has happened definitely is morally wrong, I don't think calling someone a rapist when they have not been charged with a crime or convicted of one either. To my understanding, there is no statue of limitations on sexual assault or rape as you say. If a significant crime had been committed, it's important that the matter get's investigated and dealt with in the courts.

We are all quick to judge in a lot of ways but a lot of times things sometimes get a little more complicated than we think. Outside looking in? The Mayor made a large issue out of Sean Chu who was clearly doing really bad behavior and is also out of step with her politics. As for the Mayor and Carra, all of a sudden she is a little more tight lipped.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 09:17 PM   #1123
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Do we know that is exactly what happened with him or is that just an opinion and what has been generally reported?

This will all get sorted out in the courts but what if significant damage happened to the car and he threatened the driver?

As for Sean Chu, although what has happened definitely is morally wrong, I don't think calling someone a rapist when they have not been charged with a crime or convicted of one either. To my understanding, there is no statue of limitations on sexual assault or rape as you say. If a significant crime had been committed, it's important that the matter get's investigated and dealt with in the courts.

We are all quick to judge in a lot of ways but a lot of times things sometimes get a little more complicated than we think. Outside looking in? The Mayor made a large issue out of Sean Chu who was clearly doing really bad behavior and is also out of step with her politics. As for the Mayor and Carra, all of a sudden she is a little more tight lipped.
I've always wondered what that would look like.

And a Police Officer didnt get prosecuted for wrongdoing? No way. That never happens!!

Someone operating from within the legal system gets a pass from the legal system? When does the 16+ years overdue process get started?

Or is the rug that it was swept under just that securely affixed?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 09:31 PM   #1124
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I've always wondered what that would look like.

And a Police Officer didnt get prosecuted for wrongdoing? No way. That never happens!!

Someone operating from within the legal system gets a pass from the legal system? When does the 16+ years overdue process get started?

Or is the rug that it was swept under just that securely affixed?

Although I am not a fan of his, I am not a fan of calling everybody these days names. Far too often in today's day in age, usually behind a keyboard, we are calling everybody, every name in the book. Everybody is a rapist, a racist, an anti Semite, a Nazi, a homophobe, an oppressor etc.

These are serious allegations and should have been dealt with or should be dealt with in a proper fashion. I wasn't there and don't know the exact file as it relates to evidence but I will say, cops and young girls are usually a no no and should be avoided at all costs.

Did he get preferential treatment? Perhaps but all we have is the justice system to sort this matters out and try and have a sense of balance. Maybe the evidence against Carra is a lot stronger than we think and if you or I decided to do something similar, maybe we would also be charged. Who knows?
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2022, 10:34 PM   #1125
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default MF YYC Politics - there, I mega did it

Quote:

This isn’t an issue of being morally wrong. He was in a position of authority, therefore the age of consent in Canada is 18. By definition it’s at least statutory rape, not taking into account the whole handgun as well. His only claim is that he was ignorant (a common Chu trait) of her age.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2022, 11:30 PM   #1126
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Do you prefer a councillor who had allegedly consensual acts with a minor while he was a police officer in a position of power over her. As that is what Chu has admitted to. I don’t see statutory rapist as being that distinct between what Chu has admitted to doing.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/calgar...28292.amp.html
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:24 AM   #1127
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we just all agree he is a statue rapist and call it a day?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:30 AM   #1128
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not a lot of concrete info, but it sounds like the car almost ran over his dog and got very close to him too. I can say that when I've had close calls like this riding my bike your adrenaline gets going very quickly, can be very hard to keep your calm and not act impulsively. Does that forgive his actions? No, but I can understand the reaction.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:35 AM   #1129
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Fitting that Yoho would be thanking the guy defending Sean Chu's character
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2022, 09:39 AM   #1130
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Birds of a feather…
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2022, 09:40 AM   #1131
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post

People who defend admitted rapists are something else.
Old 12-14-2022, 12:38 PM   #1132
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Although I am not a fan of his, I am not a fan of calling everybody these days names. Far too often in today's day in age, usually behind a keyboard, we are calling everybody, every name in the book. Everybody is a rapist, a racist, an anti Semite, a Nazi, a homophobe, an oppressor etc.

These are serious allegations and should have been dealt with or should be dealt with in a proper fashion. I wasn't there and don't know the exact file as it relates to evidence but I will say, cops and young girls are usually a no no and should be avoided at all costs.

Did he get preferential treatment? Perhaps but all we have is the justice system to sort this matters out and try and have a sense of balance. Maybe the evidence against Carra is a lot stronger than we think and if you or I decided to do something similar, maybe we would also be charged. Who knows?
Let’s not call rapists rapists cause the rapist might have their feelings hurt.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 12:43 PM   #1133
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now now, he's not just an admitted statutory rapist, he's also dumb as a bag of rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2022, 12:47 PM   #1134
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Now now, he's not just an admitted statutory rapist, he's also dumb as a bag of rocks
I would have gone with "pile of clay" but I guess bag of rocks works too.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 01:16 PM   #1135
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am not sure where I am defending Chu in this thread? What he did was morally wrong, as an officer he had no business with a young girl in that position. I am not a fan of the guy but facts are facts no matter what little reading comprehension some people may have. He was not convicted or even charged with a crime. Should he have been? Perhaps but we don't operate on perhaps in the legal system. I personally think Mr. Handshake real estate deal councilor, Carra, should be personally investigated for much higher levels of corruption as I don't think his character and record in real estate disclosure is very good. Personal opinion but all we can do is go through the legal process. Carra is very clearly pissed off about getting charged and we will know more once the process is complete.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:21 PM   #1136
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem is the process failed with Chu.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...port-1.6555207

So we have his own statements that leave him guilty. I'm not sure how you can give him any benefit of the doubt here.

Beyond that, as my councillor he is useless. I never get a reply to requests. He's failed on the LRT, and active infrastructure in his riding. His literally sitting there collecting our tax dollars doing nothing. You should be furious at this.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2022, 01:22 PM   #1137
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if you're not defending, hand-waving underage sexual assault with a weapon with a boys-will-be-boys kind of attitude is pretty gross in it's own right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 01:26 PM   #1138
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am not sure where I am defending Chu in this thread? What he did was morally wrong, as an officer he had no business with a young girl in that position. I am not a fan of the guy but facts are facts no matter what little reading comprehension some people may have. He was not convicted or even charged with a crime. Should he have been? Perhaps but we don't operate on perhaps in the legal system. I personally think Mr. Handshake real estate deal councilor, Carra, should be personally investigated for much higher levels of corruption as I don't think his character and record in real estate disclosure is very good. Personal opinion but all we can do is go through the legal process. Carra is very clearly pissed off about getting charged and we will know more once the process is complete.

The thing is, you seem like you agree that he, through his own admission, had inappropriate sexual contact with a young girl who was below the age of consent. Whether he was convicted doesn’t change what that is. He is an unconvicted rapist, if that makes it more palatable.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:51 PM   #1139
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I will repeat this once again in the simplest terms. I AM NOT DEFENNDING SEAN CHU!! End of ****ing story. I am not sure where this garbage came from that I am President and CEO of his fan club or supporting a "boys will be boys" attitude. Personally I believe child sex abusers should be executed and castrated in a public space but that's a different conversation for a different day.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:53 PM   #1140
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I will repeat this once again in the simplest terms. I AM NOT DEFENNDING SEAN CHU!! End of ****ing story. I am not sure where this garbage came from that I am President and CEO of his fan club or supporting a "boys will be boys" attitude. Personally I believe child sex abusers should be executed and castrated in a public space but that's a different conversation for a different day.
I think people are confused because you’re labelling what he did as “morally wrong” which is confusing because either A) he did what he’s accused of and it’s worse than morally wrong or B) he didn’t do what he’s accused of and there’s nothing that would be morally wrong.

But the evidence seems to suggest he did what he was accused of and he got a slap on the wrist for it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote