Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-14-2021, 12:35 PM   #141
Backstop
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
If he wants to play that game he needs to have the skin to go with it. Game has to recognize game.
This 100%

A lifelong friend who happens to also be a total savant at 'get under your skin chirps' does absolutely appreciates a solid salvo back.
Backstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:44 PM   #142
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Overall they have been better since changing the lines - I'd personally say it's actually the better balance in the d-pairs that's making the bigger difference though.

Anderson-Hanifin - 55.1% xGF
Tanev - Gio: 55.9% xGF
Valimaki-Stone: 50% xGF

Gio-Anderson just didn't work and it was cratering this team. Much better balance in the top 4 now though.

The forward lines have been more of a mixed bag:

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk: 36.7% xGF, 45% Offensive Zone
Mangiapane-Monahan-Dube: 60.2% xGF, 50% Offensive Zone
Lucic - Backlund - Nordstrom: 62.9% xGF, 21% Offensive Zone
Ryan - Ritchie - Leivo: 62.6% xGF, 57% Offensive Zone

So as much as the narrative has been "Gaudreau is back" away from Monahan it's not necessarily the case.

That line has been outshot, and heavily out chanced at 5v5, and I'd say Gaudreau looks the same as he did with Monahan. Personally I think Monahan looks better with Mangiapane and Dube than he did with Johnny though.
Have been saying all year it should be

Hanifin - Andersson
Giordano - Tanev

There have been multiple issues with the lineup this year, but Gio-Andersson was bad from the get go, and those are important guys. IMO, that was the first leak that eventually sank the ship.

It is almost certainly too late to right the ship now, but if they can somehow run the table on the Habs, then this season could become one for the ages. Because, as last night showed, when they play well, the Flames are still arguably the best team in this division. At least they are as good as any.

If ever there was a 'just make the playoffs and anything could happen' year, this is it.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 12:46 PM   #143
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If he wants to play that game he needs to have the skin to go with it. Game has to recognize game.
Absolutely

Plus I doubt he's still mad at Muzzin just because his wires got crossed 3 months ago
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:46 PM   #144
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Have been saying all year it should be

Hanifin - Andersson
Giordano - Tanev

There have been multiple issues with the lineup this year, but Gio-Andersson was bad from the get go, and those are important guys. IMO, that was the first leak that eventually sank the ship.

It is almost certainly too late to right the ship now, but if they can somehow run the table on the Habs, then this season could become one for the ages. Because, as last night showed, when they play well, the Flames are still arguably the best team in this division. At least they are as good as any.

If ever there was a 'just make the playoffs and anything could happen' year, this is it.
Frankly, Andersson was still subpar last night (Hanifin was excellent though).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:53 PM   #145
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Absolutely

Plus I doubt he's still mad at Muzzin just because his wires got crossed 3 months ago
I think he is still a little mad. He took some shots at Muzzin after the whistle a couple times last night.
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:03 PM   #146
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Frankly, Andersson was still subpar last night (Hanifin was excellent though).
minus one horrific giveaway (Hanifin) that coulda changed the outcome of the game
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #147
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
The lines look better at this point. In particular having EatBread and Dube together is really fun. Great to see them getting a chance at good minutes and buzzing around.

The Backlund line was suprisingly effective last night. I do wish Backs had a bit more help offensively though, as I think it will be tough for them to generate much in the way of offence.

Crazy to see Stone really settle down the D pairings. I think this is the line up, until they are eliminated.
Let Backs mentor Ruzicka.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:13 PM   #148
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
minus one horrific giveaway (Hanifin) that coulda changed the outcome of the game
Don't recall that one. I was thinking of his stuffing of a two on one when Valimaki and Andersson muffed a change, and his shutdown of a couple otehr breaks. Andersson made a couple really bad decisions in his own end, like when he inexplicably passed to Monahan who had been covering guys in front of the net

Last edited by GioforPM; 04-14-2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #149
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Muzzin incident seemed to be a bit of contentious thing with Tkachuk. Maybe he's moved on and would laugh about it but it's really hard to say as I'm just not sure he would be pleased to see Muzzin sticking it to him once again.
But if he laughed about it, it would show that it doesn't bother him. Showing distaste for it feeds into Muzzin. Laughing does the opposite.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:25 PM   #150
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
What are you talking about? LA had a 3-0 lead in their first round in 2012, and were 8-1 through the first two.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Im Getting old ... 2014 in round 1 they were down 3-0 to the sharks . Mis remembering things.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:49 PM   #151
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool little note by Jen Botteril about Sutter conversing with Markstrom before OT, and likely telling him - don’t freeze the puck, leading to a goal.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:30 AM   #152
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Post game links
https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/rec...s=3&final=true
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl...cap134257.html