Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2021, 07:20 PM   #1
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 31 Thoughts: "there’s been plenty of groundwork done"

31 Thoughts here

Quote:
21. We will count the two late-night Sunday deals because they’re close enough, so, on deadline day, eight of the 29 players dealt had contracts for next season (Anders Bjork, Madison Bowey, Carter, Haydn Fleury, Matthew Highmore, Curtis Lazar, Mantha and Richard Panik). Some of those deals are about the expansion draft, but it’s actually a higher number than I thought it would be. Behind the scenes, there’s been plenty of groundwork done on the possibility of moving those with term in the offseason. Two teams that would be most active in terms of preparation would be Calgary and Philadelphia.
There were a few rumours kicking around that Philly was working on a Nolan Patrick trade at some point.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 07:22 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Here's the rest:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...rental-bruins/

Quote:
18. The Avalanche looked into David Rittich before going to Devan Dubnyk.
Quote:
22. I openly admitted on-air to not knowing much about Emil Heineman, Florida’s second-rounder traded to Calgary in the Sam Bennett deal. Revealing the true power of television, I received several text messages with useful scouting reports indicating he’s a legit prospect who drives opponents crazy. I don’t watch prospects like Sam Cosentino does, so I appreciate the intel.
Quote:
30. The other [player to reach the 1000 game milestone this week] is Milan Lucic. He has to be one of the only rookies in recent memory who got his own room on the road, because his snoring was so bad — no one wanted to be near him.

Lucic was the quintessential Bruin. Obviously, with a great player like a McDavid or a Matthews, the game changes every time they step on the ice. At Lucic’s peak, one NHLer told me he and Shea Weber were the only two who changed the game in another meaningful way — if you let them hit you, you’d regret it.

Lucic has been through a lot. It might surprise people to know this, but he’s a thinker and sensitive. A ton of people who care about him are thrilled to see him get to 1,000. He did it the hard way.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 78 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
-TC-, 3rd Degree, 3thirty, 442scotty, agulati, ah123, Badgers Nose, bc-chris, ben voyonsdonc, BigDogg, Boblobla, bubbsy, Calgary4LIfe, cam_wmh, Captain Hair, CF84, Cheese, ComixZone, cral12, CSharp, Cycling76er, D as in David, dino7c, Dion, dying4acup, Esoteric, FacePaint, Flamboyant 14, Flamesfan2010, FlamesNation23, FLAMESRULE, Flames_F.T.W, FlatLandFlamesFan, Flickered Flame, foofighter15, Francis's Hairpiece, Gaskal, getoverit, GioforPM, GoFlamesGo89, GreenHardHat, Hockey-and_stuff, IamNotKenKing, indes, Itse, jaikorven, Jetfire, KipperRules, Loudog, Manhattanboy, Monahammer, MrMike, Mustache, Plaedo, powderjunkie, Radio, Reaper, Reggie28, roberts10, Robo, rogermexico, Sainters7, SnipeShow, SoulOfTheFlame, Stillman16, Strange Brew, Superfraggle, terryclancy, Textcritic, Tkachukwagon, tknez16, topfiverecords, tvp2003, Ullr, wired, Yrebmi, Zevo, Zulu29
Old 04-13-2021, 08:31 PM   #3
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the trades being considered were prior to Bennett being moved or if it is for one of the d-men.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #4
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Im connecting the dots from a couple different of Elliottes points

Quote:
This is purely my opinion and not anything I’ve heard, but, coming out of the enormous Detroit/Washington deal, does anyone ask Steve Yzerman about Dylan Larkin? One of the reasons Anthony Mantha and Jakub Vrana were traded was due to frustration with their play (and, especially in Vrana’s case, his own consternation at the way he was being used). But another key factor is that the Red Wings feel their rebuild will take longer than originally predicted.

I’d written earlier about Detroit making everyone available except Larkin, 2020 first-rounder Lucas Raymond and 2019 first-rounder Moritz Seider (and possibly co-leading scorer Filip Hronek). Mantha is signed for three more seasons, and may be out of his prime before they’re ready. Larkin is signed for two more. He’s their captain, and it’s not insignificant to consider the fan base’s reaction. If you were another team, though, and you liked him, the Mantha deal could give you reason to ask.

Quote:
We will count the two late-night Sunday deals because they’re close enough, so, on deadline day, eight of the 29 players dealt had contracts for next season (Anders Bjork, Madison Bowey, Carter, Haydn Fleury, Matthew Highmore, Curtis Lazar, Mantha and Richard Panik). Some of those deals are about the expansion draft, but it’s actually a higher number than I thought it would be. Behind the scenes, there’s been plenty of groundwork done on the possibility of moving those with term in the offseason. Two teams that would be most active in terms of preparation would be Calgary and Philadelphia.

Larkin to the Flames on draft day.

T3
Old 04-13-2021, 10:13 PM   #5
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very juicy. Oh to be a fly on Treliving's wall....
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:32 PM   #6
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Im connecting the dots from a couple different of Elliottes points

Larkin to the Flames on draft day.

T3
Get Larkin. Get Eichel. Keep Johnny. Keep Chucky. Keep Lindy.

How you ask?

Well...

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 10:33 PM   #7
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Very juicy. Oh to be a fly on Treliving's wall....
The fly had a stroke from the number of times it had to listen to the process.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 07:45 AM   #8
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man Treliving has so many people fooled and he has it down to a science. Make random trades, leek info, say you almost got things done then say more will happen at the draft or deadline day. When nothing important happens on deadline day, say it'll happen at draft then say teams changed their minds about picks and just want to see the player play a bit more. Play the season and say "groundwork" is in place for deadline moves then say they fell through. Ask every GM about players every day and make any move you can no matter what. Always go after big names in free agency, settle for older players and bottom of the barrel players to flesh out the roster. Trade draft picks every other year.

Screw success, keep people wanting more and you'll always have a job.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #9
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Man Treliving has so many people fooled and he has it down to a science. Make random trades, leek info, say you almost got things done then say more will happen at the draft or deadline day. When nothing important happens on deadline day, say it'll happen at draft then say teams changed their minds about picks and just want to see the player play a bit more. Play the season and say "groundwork" is in place for deadline moves then say they fell through. Ask every GM about players every day and make any move you can no matter what. Always go after big names in free agency, settle for older players and bottom of the barrel players to flesh out the roster. Trade draft picks every other year.

This sounds like an old man rant.

How can you not like the work Tre did before the deadline?
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 09:06 AM   #10
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Larkin, freshly named captain of the wings, only 24, known two way player, local kid who grew up in a wings jersey, played Junior and went to college in Detroit's backyard? Trooper as well, staying positive and playing well (until this season..) on a basement dweller while getting very little help?

I think Friedman is smoking some fine stuff these days. Yzerman isn't trading this guy.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:06 AM   #11
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Calgary & Philadelphia probably active preparing to trade with one another
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #12
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If you look at Tre's body of work I would guess that we don't have a net loss of draft picks, over all. I believe he has actually done a lot of good work (lots of questionable signings too, no doubt). I think the biggest problems that we had with our rebuild were 1. We should have been bottom feeders in 2014/2015 and drafted high. 2. Bennett . I would not put either of those on Treliving, in fact had he not made the Dougie Hamilton trade and the subsequent trades thereafter, we would be in even worse shape IMO.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #13
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Tanev and Markstrom qualify as older but I wouldn’t call them bottom of the barrel.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 09:20 AM   #14
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Flames have liked Konecny since 2015, and he was a healthy scratch this year I believe. Right wing who plays with physicality
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:25 AM   #15
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Konecny is younger, signed to a better contract, and has outproduced Johnny with less ice time for two seasons now.

Seems like a pipe dream to get him in a Johnny trade.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:37 AM   #16
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
If you look at Tre's body of work I would guess that we don't have a net loss of draft picks, over all. I believe he has actually done a lot of good work (lots of questionable signings too, no doubt). I think the biggest problems that we had with our rebuild were 1. We should have been bottom feeders in 2014/2015 and drafted high. 2. Bennett . I would not put either of those on Treliving, in fact had he not made the Dougie Hamilton trade and the subsequent trades thereafter, we would be in even worse shape IMO.
The picks traded away versus acquired were very narrowly in the red before this last series of trades, but it’s pretty close.

Treliving’s two biggest mistakes were completely rational. Acquiring a defensive RHS D to complement Gio, Hamilton and Brodie (he just missed on assessing the player) and getting a big consistent 20+ goal RW (he didn’t do off ice DD well enough). Both of those things were completely understandable, but set the team back in the result. But imagine Tanev instead of Hamonic. Imagine, say, Oshie or Hornqvist or someone else of the same age and money instead and the same moves look great. And, at the time, who would have said Tanev and Hamonic were much different, or Neal and Hornqvist?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 09:39 AM   #17
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Calgary & Philadelphia probably active preparing to trade with one another
Seems like an inevitability at this point.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:41 AM   #18
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Konecny is younger, signed to a better contract, and has outproduced Johnny with less ice time for two seasons now.

Seems like a pipe dream to get him in a Johnny trade.
I only see one season when he outproduced Johnny. I still hold the opinion that it would be Konecny+ for Johnny.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 10:04 AM   #19
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I only see one season when he outproduced Johnny. I still hold the opinion that it would be Konecny+ for Johnny.
Agreed because of upside. Konecny doesn’t have a 100 point ceiling like Johnny very obviously does. He can marginally out produce him one season but then literally put up half his points the next

Philly is a good offensive team, he’s 6th on their squad in points (Johnny’s never been lower than 2nd) so is he really driving the offense? Last year he was top scorer and I don’t watch a ton of their games
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:08 AM   #20
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barring an impossible run Treliving has no choice but to shake this core up there are no other options so he needs to have that groundwork done
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote