Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 12:09 PM   #7981
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Vastly? Not sure I would go there. Different type of player which makes them difficult to judge TBH. Eichel is better at driving the play, but that isn't Monahan's job with Gaudreau on the wing. Eichel has never really impressed me much, but he plays for Buffalo so that may have something to do with it. He definitely isn't like McHobo and is elite at anything. He's a way above average center, but not a dominant player like McHobo. I put Eichel in the same class as Monahan, maybe a little higher only because he is a line driver. Monahan is criminally under-rated around here.
You put Eichel in the same class as Monahan, but you don’t think Buffalo would trade Eichel for a 2021 1st, 2022 1st, 2023 1st, Noah Hanifin, Sam Bennett, Jakob Pelletier, and Derek Ryan...wow.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:10 PM   #7982
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
If you watch them, Gaudreau passes to Monahan a lot just into the zone and it’s Monahan who decides whether to pass back, drop to a trailer, go to the other side, or shoot. Monahan does a lot of puck distribution. He’s also the first outlet pass a lot. His only real issue IMO is a lack of speed.
Well, that's just it, right? A few of us have been watching them pretty closely for nearly a decade. Monahan's game is pretty subdued, so it is really easy to miss a lot of what he is doing.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #7983
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Wow today I learned that Eichel and Monahan are on the same tier. This is starting to tread dangerously close to a few years ago when a one or two commented that they would take Monahan over McDavid. As a fan board we are expected to be biased but this is hfboards stuff. Watch hockey other than your own team occasionally instead of just deferring to raw point totals as the only measure.
Yes, there’s little doubt in my mind that Eichel is elite who could be an MVP candidate while Monahan is good to very good who might see an all star game or two. Eichel is a no questions asked Olympian. Canada could send two teams to the Olympics and Monahan probably doesn’t make that team.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #7984
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Yes, there’s little doubt in my mind that Eichel is elite who could be an MVP candidate while Monahan is good to very good who might see an all star game or two. Eichel is a no questions asked Olympian. Canada could send two teams to the Olympics and Monahan probably doesn’t make that team.
He would probably make the US team, though.

Quote:
Old 02-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #7985
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Wow today I learned that Eichel and Monahan are on the same tier. This is starting to tread dangerously close to a few years ago when a one or two commented that they would take Monahan over McDavid. As a fan board we are expected to be biased but this is hfboards stuff. Watch hockey other than your own team occasionally instead of just deferring to raw point totals as the only measure.
I’d say Mackinnon and Matthews are a rung higher than Eichel, who is likely in a level with guys like Tavares, prime Thornton, prime Getzlaf, etc. when all is said and done. I haven’t watched him enough to be a fair judge though. His production has always fallen short of what I thought it would be and this year it’s bad. Monahan has a slump? Look at Eichel.

Monahan’s obviously below the top few levels. I’d say he’s only behind because of his skating though. It’s a huge factor.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:15 PM   #7986
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Well, that's just it, right? A few of us have been watching them pretty closely for nearly a decade. Monahan's game is pretty subdued, so it is really easy to miss a lot of what he is doing.

He’s not fast, he doesn’t dangle. He doesn’t show a lot of emotion. But he gets the job done more often than not, and I respect his work ethic.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #7987
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Well, again, how "close" that gap is is pretty impressionistic. And while you may be right about how the line struggles during the playoffs, I fail to see how Monahan shoulders all the blame for that, especially considering that he has consistently been one of the Flames's best players in the playoffs.

Best players? He is invisible 5 on 5. He shoulders most of the blame cause he's playing centre, the position that has the most influence on a game in terms of game flow and possession. The fact the opposition can solely focus on JG and only worry about Monahan when he is in front of the net/slot makes that line much easier to defend and the main reason they struggle when the intensity ramps up. I guess you under value the centre position when it comes to playoff success.

Last edited by CGY12; 02-28-2021 at 12:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 12:21 PM   #7988
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He would probably make the US team, though.
Really? Mathews and Eichel are there a head of Monahan. I would have Larkin over him as well. JT Miller. If he plays C probably bumps Monahan out for me.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:21 PM   #7989
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

John Tavares is not on the same level as prime Joe Thornton
Old 02-28-2021, 12:23 PM   #7990
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
John Tavares is not on the same level as prime Joe Thornton
LOL - so you took that entire post and decided to quibble about that? Fine. They were broad categories. Split them up if you like.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:24 PM   #7991
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He’s not fast, he doesn’t dangle. He doesn’t show a lot of emotion. But he gets the job done more often than not, and I respect his work ethic.
I for one want the return of the murderous 'Angry Mean Seanahan'
Old 02-28-2021, 12:25 PM   #7992
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Pretty sure I've been watching the Flames "pretty closely" for the better part of 30 years. You should try watching teams other than the Flames, it may enlighten you. You don't win in crunch time with Monahan as your #1 C, its pretty plain and simple, and their is plenty of evidence to support that FACT.
The Following User Says Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 12:26 PM   #7993
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
Best players? He is invisible 5 on 5. He shoulders most of the blame cause he's playing centre, the position that has the most influence on a game in terms of game flow and possession. The fact the opposition can solely focus on JG and only worry about Monahan when he is in front of the net/slot makes that line much easier to defend and the main reason they struggle when in the intensity ramps up. I guess you under value the centre position when it comes to playoff success.
He said best players in the POs. Go look up the production. It’s a low bar, but he’s ahead of pretty much everyone, including the guys who have more talent, the guys who supposedly have more drive, etc. He and Bennett have provided almost all of the offence. And Dube last year.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:27 PM   #7994
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Really? Mathews and Eichel are there a head of Monahan. I would have Larkin over him as well. JT Miller. If he plays C probably bumps Monahan out for me.
I very seriously doubt that Miller would make the US team as a centre, and there is no way he would bump Monahan. I really like Larkin, but I think he is in the same tier: he is a great skater, but also has holes in his game.

Anyhow, my point in bringing up the US team was because "Olimpic team" is not an even comparison on its own. Would Eichel make Team Canada? I am sceptical.

Quote:
Old 02-28-2021, 12:28 PM   #7995
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty sure I've been watching the Flames "pretty closely" for the better part of 30 years. You should try watching teams other than the Flames, it may enlighten you. You don't win in crunch time with Monahan as your #1 C, its pretty plain and simple, and their is plenty of evidence to support that FACT.
No one disagrees with the fact Monahan isn’t an elite C and you would want a better one to win the cup. Or, like they were trying to achieve another C at his level to give a one-two punch. That doesn’t change the fact he is underrated here for what he brings. He’s not just a tap-in machine for Gaudreau.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:30 PM   #7996
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
He said best players in the POs. Go look up the production. It’s a low bar, but he’s ahead of pretty much everyone, including the guys who have more talent, the guys who supposedly have more drive, etc. He and Bennett have provided almost all of the offence. And Dube last year.
So I'm supposed to take that comment as a positive when the bar is that low? Great Monahan chips in on the power play in the playoffs and is terrible in every other situation. The Flames are going places with that standard!
Old 02-28-2021, 12:31 PM   #7997
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I watch plenty of hockey, thanks.

Let's gain some perspective her on exactly what it is I have been saying: my point is not that Monahan is an elite-level player—far from it. My point is rather that he is MUCH better than some posters give him credit for—that he is a very good player in his own right who is integral to the team's offence, and not simply dependent on Gaudreau.

Quote:
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #7998
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I very seriously doubt that Miller would make the US team as a centre, and there is no way he would bump Monahan. I really like Larkin, but I think he is in the same tier: he is a great skater, but also has holes in his game.

Anyhow, my point in bringing up the US team was because "Olimpic team" is not an even comparison on its own. Would Eichel make Team Canada? I am sceptical.
Eichel doesn’t likely make team Canada as a C. McDavid, Mackinnon, Bergeron are locks and then you have a bunch of guys like Scheifele, Tavares, Stamkos, ROR, Barzal and of course Sidney.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #7999
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post

Talking about delusional
A few facts here.

Since Jack Eichel came into the league he's played 387 games and has scored 139 goals and 212 assists for 351 points (14th for centers). He's playing 20:20 a game. Eichel has some serious challenges to his game. He's only a 44.1% faceoff guy. He's also terrible defensively being an incredible -66. He is very good, but he does nothing at the elite level.

Comparatively, Sean Monahan played 405 games and has scored 145 goals and 185 assists for 330 points (18th for centers). He's playing 18:31 a game. Monahan is a 51% faceoff guy. He's a -14 player.

Jack Eichel is NOT Connor McDavid. Not even close. In that same time frame McHobo has played played 374 games and has scored 176 goals and 333 assists for 509 points. The spread between Eichel and Monahan is 21 points. The spread between Eichel and McHobo is 158 points.

Eichel and Monahan are very comparable. Style of play is different, but production is very similar. Those who believe that Eichel comes here and turns into the answer to McHobo are in for a massive disappointment. Eichel is a very good player, but not in that same class as McHobo. Eichel is in the same band of players as Seguin, Bergeron, O'Reilly, Toews, Schenn, and Couturier.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 12:35 PM   #8000
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So I'm supposed to take that comment as a positive when the bar is that low? Great Monahan chips in on the power play in the playoffs and is terrible in every other situation. The Flames are going places with that standard!
No, you are supposed to take that comment as an indication you didn’t read what you were responding to.
Closed Thread