Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-14-2021, 05:01 PM   #1061
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Which is why the XFL is circling the wagon and handing out a proposal that any functioning human being can see through as a take over and eventual elimination of a competitor.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:45 PM   #1062
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was an Ambrosie supporter partly for a personal reason but I’m losing faith. Putting all of his chips on a government bail out or interest-free loan and not having a backup plan reminds me of Kenney saying: we never thought we’d lose that court case so we never had a plan B.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:41 PM   #1063
jayswin

Exp:

What's plan B with no gate revenue in a league that was struggling with gate revenue? I don't think you guys know how dire this was always going to be for second/third rate sports leagues that rely on gate.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:29 AM   #1064
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What's plan B with no gate revenue in a league that was struggling with gate revenue? I don't think you guys know how dire this was always going to be for second/third rate sports leagues that rely on gate.
Maybe some creative thinking is in order - I mean, we have seen how much the 50/50 draws have pulled in up north in Edmonton, maybe some kind of national CFL lottery with a 50/50 early bird draw with a theme of saving/supporting the CFL could work.

The CFL based on reports last year was looking at a 40 million dollar loan to play in the Winnipeg bubble and the feds turned them down. I don't know how much you could pull in from a lottery, but for argument's sake, let's say 20 million. At least you're showing some initiative and can try to meet the feds halfway and not just showing up with hat in hand looking for help.

Playing a full season in 2021 was a pipe dream, but I still think a half season is feasible and if people are vaccinated, you could have close to full capacity. The problem is nobody knows what's going on in the commissioner's head because he's not communicating. And if it's frustrating for the fans, it has to be doubly frustrating for the players.

Last edited by dash_pinched; 04-15-2021 at 08:34 AM.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 06:46 AM   #1065
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Which is why the XFL is circling the wagon and handing out a proposal that any functioning human being can see through as a take over and eventual elimination of a competitor.
I don't think they are trying to eliminate a competitor as the CFL and XFL really aren't direct competitors given they play at different times of the year. From their point of view I think they see a ready built fanbase in Canada that could bring stability to their league as well as expand into something global to differentiate from the NFL. I think their interest in the CFL is smart as if I was running that league I would also be looking at a possible merger.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:56 AM   #1066
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

But they are absolutely competitors for talent. The CFL has a better talent pool than the XFL, probably by a lot. We know there's been some top end NFL players that started in the CFL because it's always been the second best professional league (well since the merger anyway). Upgrading the talent pool would be a pretty big move for improving the XFL's prospects of succeeding long term.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:19 AM   #1067
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
But they are absolutely competitors for talent. The CFL has a better talent pool than the XFL, probably by a lot. We know there's been some top end NFL players that started in the CFL because it's always been the second best professional league (well since the merger anyway). Upgrading the talent pool would be a pretty big move for improving the XFL's prospects of succeeding long term.
This is a weird comment. Sure the CFL had better talent vs a league that didn't really exist and played 6? games last year. (Maybe - How are we judging talent from the newly formed XFL teams? Some of them got NFL jobs this year)

There is more then enough talent in the US to handle the XFL teams and the CFL teams as a developmental league.

I am sure there isnt an American who can name 1 CFL player right now. The XFL isn't worried about stealing the CFL talent base.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:49 AM   #1068
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I am sure there isnt an American who can name 1 CFL player right now. The XFL isn't worried about stealing the CFL talent base.
Big fans of NCAA teams seem to be aware of when their favourite players go North.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:23 AM   #1069
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
This is a weird comment. Sure the CFL had better talent vs a league that didn't really exist and played 6? games last year. (Maybe - How are we judging talent from the newly formed XFL teams? Some of them got NFL jobs this year)

There is more then enough talent in the US to handle the XFL teams and the CFL teams as a developmental league.

But there isn't enough interest in the bolded, especially when you consider the NFL's developmental league is really the NCAA. The CFL has basically been the only consistent minor league capable of producing NFL players, and it has been since the merger. I don't think there's enough money or interest to support multiple minor leagues, and history has shown us this. The XFL doesn't have the luxury of time to build up it's talent base, so taking over the CFL is the easiest and quickest way to do that.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:42 PM   #1070
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1383066848275611655
Old 04-16-2021, 02:29 PM   #1071
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm thinking a late summer/fall schedule may be the best they could hope for at this stage. The league would be in a difficult situation right now even with a really good commissioner but having one of the worst commissioners ever certainly isn't helping.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:56 PM   #1072
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Hinshaw wrote in a letter this week to Entertainment stakeholders "all capacity limits could potentially be lifted for venues by the end of July."
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:44 PM   #1073
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm thinking a late summer/fall schedule may be the best they could hope for at this stage. The league would be in a difficult situation right now even with a really good commissioner but having one of the worst commissioners ever certainly isn't helping.
Late start then hear me out: Christmas Day (or maybe NYE) Grey Cup
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:05 AM   #1074
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1384478567816441856
Old 04-20-2021, 06:01 PM   #1075
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Steinberg and Nault had a great interview with Nik Lewis on 960 just now. Man, I love Nik. One of the greatest to lace them up in the CFL.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 09:27 AM   #1076
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1384877306326437888

Hope it's true. Bring it on...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 10:11 AM   #1077
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

14 game season, delayed until August, Grey Cup in December.

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/04/21/cfl-an...CRAOU9uYK0lur0
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 03:20 PM   #1078
sfpipes
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Well, I'll take that news. I'm a CFL lifer and I don't know how it would have recovered from another missed season. I also appreciate that they have additional back up plans in place. A plan for potential issues coming up is always good.

I do wonder why they wouldn't move the Grey Cup to Vancouver if you're looking at a pushed back date. But why the heck not Hamilton in mid-December?

Last edited by sfpipes; 04-21-2021 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Wording
sfpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:36 PM   #1079
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

It's good news that the CFL is having a season but why can't they start and do what all the other leagues have been doing, is it money? If they're starting that late they should be able to have a few fans, no? With all the people now getting vaccinated I don't see why not. I saw they had a few fans in Florida for the Panthers game the other day, some NFL teams also had a few fans this past season.

So I just read this on the CFL site.

“So, what must be in place for us to kick off on August 5? Two things. 1. The approval of public health officials across the country of our plans for protecting the health of our players, coaches, and ultimately our fans, so a 2021 season is safe. 2. Permission from governments to host a significant number of fans in the stands, in a significant number of venues at the start of the season, and in the rest of our venues soon after that, so a 2021 season is financially tenable for our clubs.

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/04/21/cfl-an...y-2021-season/

Last edited by Macman; 04-21-2021 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Info
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:25 PM   #1080
jayswin

Exp:

You answered your own question. The CFL Is not viably able to play games without fans or with restrictive fan limits. Florida has like 4000 fans allowed in the building. The CFL can't operate like that.

They need pretty much full capacity and more importantly then that - a confident fan base that is way past "you're technically allowed to show up". The CFL was in trouble before Covid. Calgary is a top three market that used to attract 30-34k regularly, and now attracts 25-28k most nights.

Without full public confidence in attending sporting events, that number is probably 13-17k at most and that's one of Canada's best markets. That is death in this league.

Last edited by jayswin; 04-21-2021 at 11:29 PM.