Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2021, 03:47 PM   #2341
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

[QUOTE=McG;7807541]Can’t disagree with anything that you have written. It would seem to suggest that the Flames better keep their draft picks and not give away assets like UFAs walking away for nothing or dumping third and fourth round picks on player rentals. This mismanagement of assets is one of the primary reasons for unhappiness with the GM.[/QUOTE

There is only one way this team will become better, and that is through the draft, this team has not really hit a homerun with their first round picks and it shows in the results. Tear it down, take another shot at drafting and get it right this time. I remember a time when Chicago was still bad after a partial rebuild, they were not afraid to tear it down and rebuild through the draft, the rest is history...
browntrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:56 PM   #2342
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is only one way this team will become better, and that is through the draft, this team has not really hit a homerun with their first round picks and it shows in the results. Tear it down, take another shot at drafting and get it right this time. I remember a time when Chicago was still bad after a partial rebuild, they were not afraid to tear it down and rebuild through the draft, the rest is history...[/QUOTE]

This makes very little sense to me. Tkachuk is a home run at 6. Valimaki has potential to be a home run as do Pelletier and Zary. They hit multiple home runs in later rounds in the last decade with Gaudreau, Mangiapane, Fox and potentially guys like Phillips, Pettersson and Wolf.

I think they need to hold onto their draft picks and not trade them away as they have shown a strong ability to get good players later in the draft recently.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #2343
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
There is only one way this team will become better, and that is through the draft, this team has not really hit a homerun with their first round picks and it shows in the results. Tear it down, take another shot at drafting and get it right this time. I remember a time when Chicago was still bad after a partial rebuild, they were not afraid to tear it down and rebuild through the draft, the rest is history...

This makes very little sense to me. Tkachuk is a home run at 6. Valimaki has potential to be a home run as do Pelletier and Zary. They hit multiple home runs in later rounds in the last decade with Gaudreau, Mangiapane, Fox and potentially guys like Phillips, Pettersson and Wolf.

I think they need to hold onto their draft picks and not trade them away as they have shown a strong ability to get good players later in the draft recently.
Edmonton, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, too early to say for Ottawa, but Calgary has built a worse foundational core than any other Canadian (read, impatient) franchise.

Every team has their hits/misses in the draft. No way Calgary is considered an overwhelming team when it comes to the draft. Pretty damn average, all things considered.

Last edited by bubbsy; 04-01-2021 at 04:43 PM.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:15 PM   #2344
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

^The quoting going on in the last 3 posts is confusing the heck out of me.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:44 PM   #2345
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
^The quoting going on in the last 3 posts is confusing the heck out of me.
Lol.. Sorry, not sure what happened there.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:51 PM   #2346
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Edmonton, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, too early to say for Ottawa, but Calgary has built a worse foundational core than any other Canadian (read, impatient) franchise.

Every team has their hits/misses in the draft. No way Calgary is considered an overwhelming team when it comes to the draft. Pretty damn average, all things considered.
lol Edmonton...sucked for 2 decades and won four lotteries and have 2 good players
Old 04-01-2021, 04:56 PM   #2347
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
lol Edmonton...sucked for 2 decades and won four lotteries and have 2 good players
Yes, but the Flames have sucked for 2 (...pretty much 3) decades and don’t have any foundational pieces.

They’re in a better position than we are today, and we have not had more success than them during that time. Edmonton sucks beyond belief, and have screwed up pick after pick, trade after trade, and signing after signing and yet somehow we’re worse off.

Last edited by ComixZone; 04-01-2021 at 04:58 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2021, 05:05 PM   #2348
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Yes, but the Flames have sucked for 2 (...pretty much 3) decades and don’t have any foundational pieces.

They’re in a better position than we are today, and we have not had more success than them during that time. Edmonton sucks beyond belief, and have screwed up pick after pick, trade after trade, and signing after signing and yet somehow we’re worse off.
Lets not pretend they made some shrewd choice to rebuild...they tried to be good, sucked and fluked out at lotteries, and are average at best right now.

Good a beating the Sens and .500 against the rest of an average division.

Model franchise

They have drafted terrible other than the no brainer picks (and have even screwed up a couple of them)

Last edited by dino7c; 04-01-2021 at 05:07 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:08 PM   #2349
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Lets not pretend they made some shrewd choice to rebuild...they tried to be good, sucked and fluked out at lotteries, and are average at best right now.

Good a beating the Sens and .500 against the rest of an average division.

Model franchise
This could apply to us just as much as the Oilers.

We sucked, traded Iginla and Bouw (got nothing in return) and then went right back to spending to the cap ceiling.

Both teams are just horribly managed. At this stage though, the Flames’ approach is indefensible. No hope. Nothing but failure. It’s an absolute joke.

The Flames SHOULD absolutely be ripping it down and rebuilding, but their dumbasses will probably try some weak ass “re-tool” and acquire pieces for “now” and will end up right back where we always are. This team’s philosophy does not work, and it is amazing to me that they continue to stick to it.

Side note - just listening to Wills earlier today on the Fan and he’s pretty much saying “yes, we can re-tool and become a cup contender - it just takes all of bad players becoming good players”...

Last edited by ComixZone; 04-01-2021 at 05:12 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2021, 05:17 PM   #2350
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
This could apply to us just as much as the Oilers.

We sucked, traded Iginla and Bouw (got nothing in return) and then went right back to spending to the cap ceiling.

Both teams are just horribly managed. At this stage though, the Flames’ approach is indefensible. No hope. Nothing but failure. It’s an absolute joke.

The Flames SHOULD absolutely be ripping it down and rebuilding, but their dumbasses will probably try some weak ass “re-tool” and acquire pieces for “now” and will end up right back where we always are. This team’s philosophy does not work, and it is amazing to me that they continue to stick to it.

Side note - just listening to Wills earlier today on the Fan and he’s pretty much saying “yes, we can re-tool and become a cup contender - it just takes all of bad players becoming good players”...
Why start the tear down during Covid when you will get the worst return and the draft is going to be very underwhelming with no real chance for scouting this year?

Trade some of the core to shake up the team this offseason and if that doesn't work tear it down the season after that when things are back to normal.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2021, 05:35 PM   #2351
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Why start the tear down during Covid when you will get the worst return and the draft is going to be very underwhelming with no real chance for scouting this year?

Trade some of the core to shake up the team this offseason and if that doesn't work tear it down the season after that when things are back to normal.
Because contracts matter.

If we don’t trade Johnny, he walks in free agency. If we delay until after free agency starts, he has a trade list where he can specify 5 teams he can get dealt to.

The sooner you start the process, the less time is wasted. If we get returns at say, 80 cents on the dollar today rather than full value in the summer we’re still likely worse for the remainder of this season which improves the value of our own draft picks for this season.

Delaying does what? Someone earlier posted that the returns in the off-season are generally not any better for players with term. The Flames can also boost the value of players like Gio and Johnny by retaining value today to help teams fit into their cap-structure for this year’s playoff race and flexibility for next season.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 08:47 AM   #2352
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Listening to Adnan talk about his new gig on Monday night Raw I feel extra bad that Peter Klein is not able to interview him about this new job.

Pretty cool that Virk got this job and it could be a launch pad for him into the entertainment business.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 09:30 AM   #2353
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Listening to Adnan talk about his new gig on Monday night Raw I feel extra bad that Peter Klein is not able to interview him about this new job.

Pretty cool that Virk got this job and it could be a launch pad for him into the entertainment business.
Yeah. I haven’t listened since they cut him & Jay.

It’s a waste of time. I even ordered one of the meal kits that they were pumping to support local businesses.

It was one of the worst items of food I’ve ever ordered and completely disorganized from top to bottom.

Much like the Fan.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:12 AM   #2354
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is Jim Rome back on 960? I just pulled up the feed on the Radioplayer app to listen to the Jays game, and it's Rome. Kinda odd, but maybe they don't have rights to stream the ball game so they are putting Rome on in its place.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:17 PM   #2355
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Is Jim Rome back on 960? I just pulled up the feed on the Radioplayer app to listen to the Jays game, and it's Rome. Kinda odd, but maybe they don't have rights to stream the ball game so they are putting Rome on in its place.
They don’t have the rights to stream Blue Jays game so they broadcast an American feed online.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 12:40 PM   #2356
hurtin_albertan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Random thought occurred to me last night. What ever happened to Mike Richards? Last I heard of him he said he was starting something new called “Raw Mike Richards” but I can’t find any current audio of him on the web. Is he still in the broadcasting biz?
hurtin_albertan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #2357
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to this he’s hosting a morning show in Ontario
https://sauga960am.ca/timetable/even...richards-show/

I suspect he’s had to significantly change his humour. A lot of his stuff, looking back, was pretty offensive
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:56 PM   #2358
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
According to this he’s hosting a morning show in Ontario
https://sauga960am.ca/timetable/even...richards-show/

I suspect he’s had to significantly change his humour. A lot of his stuff, looking back, was pretty offensive
A lot of it was offensive, some purile, some just dumb.

But the Miikka Kiprusoff "interviews" were very, very funny to me.

"I STOPPED THEM ALL!!!"
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:59 PM   #2359
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
A lot of it was offensive, some purile, some just dumb.

But the Miikka Kiprusoff "interviews" were very, very funny to me.

"I STOPPED THEM ALL!!!"
Steve Armitage impressions absolutely slayed me.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:01 PM   #2360
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss Mike Richards. Some of his humour didn’t always land and he could be offside from time to time but I think for the most part he was pretty funny.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote