Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-16-2021, 04:14 PM   #2301
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I can't ever remember where you live New Era, but you should post it so we can decide how much we want to mock it.
Phoenix. Mock away. It's so mock worthy that a good number of members of this board have homes here. The funny thing is that I don't mock Calgary. It's a great city and I love it, but I can separate the difference between being a great city and having the economic means to support a hockey team. Calgary has a rabid fanbase that should be able to support a team, but the economics seem to challenge that. Phoenix has the population and economic clout to support a team, but has made bad decisions relating to the location of the building and promotion of the team that has made it economically unviable. Phoenix has the economic might to support a team, but is so poorly run that it is not sustainable. Calgary has the fanbase to support a team, but an economic reality that makes that challenging. There is nothing to mock there, and I would never mock Calgary, but the economic reality is something that has to be faced. So mock away if that is what allows you to sleep at night. That doesn't change a damn thing about the status of the team or the new arena being built.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:28 PM   #2302
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean saying you "don't mock Calgary" after saying its "Winnipeg with mountains" is...like is that supposed to be a compliment? And you meant Regina by the way, Winnipeg at least has lots of lakes to enjoy. We don't even have those.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:34 PM   #2303
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean saying you "don't mock Calgary" after saying its "Winnipeg with mountains" is...like is that supposed to be a compliment? And you meant Regina by the way, Winnipeg at least has lots of lakes to enjoy. We don't even have those.
Okay, that made me laugh. Regina is... well, Regina. Every time I dove through it I wondered what the hub bub was about it. Winnipeg is an unfair comparison as Calgary's economic clout is much greater, but in a comparison between Calgary and Detroit, the scale is similar. Calgary is a great city and is always going to be number one in Canada on my list (the one I remember anyways), but when measuring viability, the economics of the situation have to come into play.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:44 PM   #2304
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Phoenix. Mock away.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:47 AM   #2305
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeesh, people on here are acting like Calgary isn't the fourth largest, and (EDIT: 4th) most economically powerful city in Canada.

Last edited by Cappy; 04-17-2021 at 01:13 PM.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:41 AM   #2306
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most economically powerful city in Canada? Please explain. All measures seem to put it scales of magnitude behind Toronto and Montreal, and then on par with Vancouver and Edmonton. What makes Calgary the economic power in Canada?
Old 04-17-2021, 07:36 AM   #2307
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Most economically powerful city in Canada? Please explain. All measures seem to put it scales of magnitude behind Toronto and Montreal, and then on par with Vancouver and Edmonton. What makes Calgary the economic power in Canada?
What measures are you citing exactly? Calgary had the highest GDP per capita in Canada in 2018. 8th in the world, compared to Toronto at 21st, Vancouver at 22nd and Montreal at 24th.

https://betterdwelling.com/canadian-...onomic-output/
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:23 AM   #2308
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

So New Era hates Sam Bennett, the city of Calgary and Daryl Sutter.

The more you know!!
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:31 AM   #2309
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He may have meant 4th largest and 4th most economically powerful.

To your earlier posts about Calgary being too weak a market for the NHL, then I suppose we must be going back to the original 6-12.

The league is pretty simple in economic terms:

NYR, TOR
MTL
PHI, BOS, CHI*, LAK*, DET, VAN
Everyone else in a similar ballpark, except:
ARI, FLA

*potentially fickle with bad teams, both had pretty low attendance before their latest runs.

We know things were bad in CGY during the young guns era, yet we still drew 15k+ every year.

The following teams are often considered quite strong markets, but all have had more recent and darker (sustained lower attendance) days than us:
COL, LAK, CHI, DAL, NJD, PIT, WAS, STL

Even BOS was similar to us in late 90's early 00's; VAN not much better.

CGY is not a top 10 market. But it's not bottom 10, either.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 12:02 PM   #2310
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I read it as one continuous point as well. "Calgary is the 4th largest and most economically powerful city in Canada". As in 4th most economically powerful. He can clarify, though.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #2311
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I meant 4th largest and 4th most economically powerful. Sorry, guys.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:52 PM   #2312
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
What measures are you citing exactly? Calgary had the highest GDP per capita in Canada in 2018. 8th in the world, compared to Toronto at 21st, Vancouver at 22nd and Montreal at 24th.

https://betterdwelling.com/canadian-...onomic-output/
Fart sniffer of epic proportions? Calgary is not even remotely close to Toronto and Montreal in size, even if you break it down to PP/60. It barely competes with Vancouver and is neck and neck with Edmonton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
So New Era hates Sam Bennett, the city of Calgary and Daryl Sutter.

The more you know!!
Jut because I don't gargle the balls of someone/something doesn't mean I don't like or appreciate them. Calgary is one of the best cities in the world IMO. Doesn't mean they can support or deserve an NHYL franchise. Love Darryl Sutter too, but don't think he's the right coach for this team. Sam Bennett? Yup, I'll give you that. Not a fan. Think he's a no skilled bum, which he's pretty much proven with his useless production. Glad he's gone and won't lose a second of sleep over his departure. But thank you for trying to put words in my mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I meant 4th largest and 4th most economically powerful. Sorry, guys.
Thank your for the correction, because it does matter. 4th most economically powerful in Canada is like 40-45th in the United States and Canada combined. Keep that in mind, because it does matter, especially for a league trying to earn NFL level broadcast rights. Canadian teams are a detriment to getting broadcast rights, not a benefit, and when the vast majority of teams are US based, Calgary is measured accordingly.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:00 PM   #2313
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Phoenix. Mock away. It's so mock worthy that a good number of members of this board have homes here. The funny thing is that I don't mock Calgary. It's a great city and I love it, but I can separate the difference between being a great city and having the economic means to support a hockey team. Calgary has a rabid fanbase that should be able to support a team, but the economics seem to challenge that. Phoenix has the population and economic clout to support a team, but has made bad decisions relating to the location of the building and promotion of the team that has made it economically unviable. Phoenix has the economic might to support a team, but is so poorly run that it is not sustainable. Calgary has the fanbase to support a team, but an economic reality that makes that challenging. There is nothing to mock there, and I would never mock Calgary, but the economic reality is something that has to be faced. So mock away if that is what allows you to sleep at night. That doesn't change a damn thing about the status of the team or the new arena being built.
Oh hey im in Kierland :P
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:16 PM   #2314
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Fart sniffer of epic proportions? Calgary is not even remotely close to Toronto and Montreal in size, even if you break it down to PP/60. It barely competes with Vancouver and is neck and neck with Edmonton.

Jut because I don't gargle the balls of someone/something doesn't mean I don't like or appreciate them. Calgary is one of the best cities in the world IMO. Doesn't mean they can support or deserve an NHYL franchise. Love Darryl Sutter too, but don't think he's the right coach for this team. Sam Bennett? Yup, I'll give you that. Not a fan. Think he's a no skilled bum, which he's pretty much proven with his useless production. Glad he's gone and won't lose a second of sleep over his departure. But thank you for trying to put words in my mouth.

Thank your for the correction, because it does matter. 4th most economically powerful in Canada is like 40-45th in the United States and Canada combined. Keep that in mind, because it does matter, especially for a league trying to earn NFL level broadcast rights. Canadian teams are a detriment to getting broadcast rights, not a benefit, and when the vast majority of teams are US based, Calgary is measured accordingly.
Up until this lost recent TV contract I believe the rights to broadcast Hockey in Canada, for 7/31 teams was larger than for the rest of the US out together. Unless I am way off base.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #2315
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

You are comparing being the third (or 4th) string team in Phoenix with being the number 1 team in Calgary. It might be closer than you think.

Last edited by Infinit47; 04-17-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:47 PM   #2316
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

LOL. What makes you think the NHL thinks it can get NFL deals?

CAD National deal is worth $350-400M USD per year depending on exchange rate; we'll use the lower rate and say avg. $50M per team (though of course TOR/MTL is the real $$).

New US Deal is $400M, let's be generous and say the other package bumps to $600M USD per year. For 25 teams, that's $24M per team per year (of course NYR, PHI, BOS, CHI, DET, LAK are the real $$$).

Spoiler!

I think you'd have to get pretty screwy to find a way to find the 4 weakest Canadian teams generating less TV rights value than 15-17 of the US teams.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 05:55 PM   #2317
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I think you were interpreting the way you did to be overly confrontational as it’s obviously not as economically powerful as the top three. That should be apparent

But I would say it’s a bit different in terms of hockey. As someone else mentioned, Calgary might not be too ten it’s certainly not bottom ten. The city itself is more economical than winnipeg ottawa and Quebec City. Broadcast revenue does mean a lot and the Canadian tv rights are huge

And as much as Detroit gets #### on for its collapse it’s metro gdp is similar to Phoenix. Both are big four sports cities.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:50 AM   #2318
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Regardless of how many US markets that are economically more attractive than Calgary, you have to correct for the fact that the vast majority of people don't give a crap about hockey south of the border.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:52 AM   #2319
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Regardless of how many US markets that are economically more attractive than Calgary, you have to correct for the fact that the vast majority of people don't give a crap about hockey south of the border.
But Houston! We need to cave now! Houston!
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:36 PM   #2320
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting how the "rumor" is not widely publicized any more from credible outlets (if it ever was on credible outlets, not just a tweet).

But, mission accomplished for whoever immediately made sure that the CESC got painted as the greedy bad guys with, which is still at this point, comprised of seemingly half truths/not the full story.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post: