Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2020, 09:30 PM   #1021
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
zero down 40 year mortgages are irresponsible, but they didn't lead to the crash.
Yet. I don't think we've seen the effects of that unwind, I think it's coming at some unknown point in the future.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:38 PM   #1022
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Yet. I don't think we've seen the effects of that unwind, I think it's coming at some unknown point in the future.
I think we're past whatever it was going to cost. In Canada they're effectively dead. CMHC stopped insuring them 12 years ago, which means the highly leveraged ones have had a long time to build actual asset value. Now you need 20% down to get one.

I'm not 100% sure about the US details, but 40 year mortgages there are non-qualified and the lowest I can find is 10% down payment.

As long as the fundamentals behind giving out the mortgages are there (ex: debt service ratio), there's nothing inherently toxic about a 40 year mortgage from an overall economic health standpoint. They're just not widespread enough.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 10:48 PM   #1023
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Impossible to predict where the markets go next. Down another 30%? Up 10%? Who knows.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:18 PM   #1024
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Impossible to predict where the markets go next. Down another 30%? Up 10%? Who knows.
Me thinks we get just under the S&P all time high and then there is a bit if a retreat. not much though. I'm staying away from adding too much to positions, but not selling either

At about 40% cash still though.... just not much for deals out there. Probably too stubborn.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:03 AM   #1025
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I think we're past whatever it was going to cost. In Canada they're effectively dead. CMHC stopped insuring them 12 years ago, which means the highly leveraged ones have had a long time to build actual asset value. Now you need 20% down to get one.

I'm not 100% sure about the US details, but 40 year mortgages there are non-qualified and the lowest I can find is 10% down payment.

As long as the fundamentals behind giving out the mortgages are there (ex: debt service ratio), there's nothing inherently toxic about a 40 year mortgage from an overall economic health standpoint. They're just not widespread enough.
I don't think we've unwound the asset bubble low interest and loose lending policies created. I hope I'm wrong!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #1026
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't typically dive into indiviual stocks, but do follow stocks I'm interested in, loosly.

The emerging space of companies focused on psychedelics (for mental health purposes and perhaps eventually for wellbeing; I work in pain management/palliative care and believe in the immense potential of these, therapeutically).

Probably obviously very speculative and volatile at this point given their legal status, but the tide appears to be changing with that respect...

Anyway, anyone else interested in this space and/or have insight?

Some of the companies:
NUMI, MMED (the main 2 I'm interested in)
TRIP, SHRM

Some info:
https://candlr.com/psychedelic-sector/
Old 06-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #1027
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Holy crap TSLA today.

I know, really insightful.. lol. but 1k? wowwwwww
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:57 PM   #1028
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

JFIN...closed at 3.04 yesterday. Opened at 11.15 today. Went down to 8.90. Then up to 30.00. Then down to 5.70. Quite the day for our fav Chinese financial corp. Just like a thief in the night. The Chinese won't even know what happened when they wake up tomorrow.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #1029
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Holy crap TSLA today.

I know, really insightful.. lol. but 1k? wowwwwww
Between Tesla and Shopify, 1k stocks that dont even turn a profit
Old 06-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #1030
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Between Tesla and Shopify, 1k stocks that dont even turn a profit

Amazon was that way for the longest time and they turned the corner. I'm sure that set the stage for these companies. I've never understood Tesla, so I haven't invested in them, but Shopify still seems to me like it has upside. The part that's scary, is how quick it rose.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:00 PM   #1031
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how much of Shopify is bought up by robos and algos.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #1032
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad I didn't chase last week trying to get back into SPY.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:45 PM   #1033
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad I took some profit off last week. Sure wish I took more of it though! Today is a rough one.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:34 PM   #1034
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Currently flying out of my office window.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 05:38 PM   #1035
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had to figure this was coming. Was 50% cash going into today now about 30.

Anyones guess as to what happens next.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:53 PM   #1036
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

A few people have been predicating a second crash coming this summer, when q2 results are released (or I guess before in anticipation of what they'll show).
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:39 PM   #1037
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oof. Today was a day I should have got out all my swings early, even if red. I'm down 20%, but had 40% cash thankfully.

Live and learn.

Pennies seem to do the opposite of the big caps though, so hoping the end of the week leads to some rise. Probably will try my hand at scalping tomorrow, or sit on my hands.

If Chinese stocks are still the theme, hopefully a runner shows itself early to me so I can hop on. Missed JFIN and WAFU, and was too scared to hop on late.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:53 PM   #1038
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Equity markets down 4-5% today? I'm nowhere near retirement, I don't care. This year is going to be very volatile. I'd love to see a really big pullback so I can deploy cash. I'm at about 40% cash.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 06-11-2020 at 09:49 PM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:40 AM   #1039
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A few days late to the Tesla conversation; however, I think if you look at Tesla as a car company, the valuation doesn't make sense. I also think comparing them to car companies doesn't make sense.

Instead for me they more closely compare to a car company, plus an oil and gas company (if the two had come along together and not 20 years apart), plus a bit of a utility thrown in for fun.

The modern car companies don't seem to innovate as much as they did back 70 years ago and are stale; however, Tesla is the leader in the EV market (with one of the more expensive EVs lol). They also are a leader in the battery market, which arguably is the more interesting play for Tesla. Tesla is one of the global leaders in batter R&D and has a lot of the schools working on R&D projects with/for them. Some of their recent battery R&D projects that I have read reports on, may really reduce the reliance on lithium, this is really good, as without space travel our ability to mine lithium is limited as finding it is hard.

They also have started developing their Tesla Energy side which helps them in their battery development. It also looks like they could become one of the leaders in solar development (this is more speculation at this time).

They also bought out a high voltage capacitor developer last year, so it looks like they are really trying to push their grid battery products.

I think the bigger question for Tesla, isn't how much profit they make (which I believe they are now, though COVID is hitting them hard like anyone else). So for me, the valuation is more about the following questions, how much is their underlying technology worth? How much is their production capacity worth? Can they become a dominant company to Human energy needs? and if so how long before that happens?
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #1040
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I see them more as a Car company and a tech company. Still no profits. Im sure one day they will turn a profit. But I think its a ways away and this completely cart before the horse. I guess whoever invested at 200 bucks when we all thought it was overvalued then too are the ones laughing now though.

I get stocks being priced for what is going to happen in the future not whats happening now, but wow.