Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2022, 06:59 PM   #3101
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Perhaps, but if you factor contract value and age it's pretty tough to argue against Makar.

5x9M vs. 4x12.5M vs. 2x11.64M

MacKinnon 1x6.3M and then say 8x12M would be a closer call.
How about McKinnon for 1year at $6.3M and then lose home as a UFA?

With current contracts being at issue , Makar becomes quite an attractive choice.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:57 PM   #3102
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
How about McKinnon for 1year at $6.3M and then lose home as a UFA?

With current contracts being at issue , Makar becomes quite an attractive choice.
We're probably 5-6 weeks away from knowing MacKinnon's extension contract. For this absolute top tier of player it's pretty much a no-brainer to fill in the blank cheque a full year early as your value has no where to go but down.

If you desperately wanted to change cities you don't have to take the risk of waiting a year to do it as a UFA - tell the team you're not re-signing/demand a trade (same thing really).

Tougher to value are 2-3 years remaining, though in each of these cases it probably has as much to do with the teams as the players:

Aho - went to an offer sheet at the first opportunity after 365 days where CAR could have extended him...

Matthews - he didn't leave a penny on the table last time and he could be the most legit threat to seek a max deal given his age

Draisaitl - I expect McDavid will be long gone by then, but either way it's a weird nut to crack. In a vaccuum you'd love him for 3 years at that number and then pay whatever, but it's a bit harder to disentangle him from that dumpster-fire.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:18 PM   #3103
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We're probably 5-6 weeks away from knowing MacKinnon's extension contract. For this absolute top tier of player it's pretty much a no-brainer to fill in the blank cheque a full year early as your value has no where to go but down.

If you desperately wanted to change cities you don't have to take the risk of waiting a year to do it as a UFA - tell the team you're not re-signing/demand a trade (same thing really).

Tougher to value are 2-3 years remaining, though in each of these cases it probably has as much to do with the teams as the players:

Aho - went to an offer sheet at the first opportunity after 365 days where CAR could have extended him...

Matthews - he didn't leave a penny on the table last time and he could be the most legit threat to seek a max deal given his age

Draisaitl - I expect McDavid will be long gone by then, but either way it's a weird nut to crack. In a vaccuum you'd love him for 3 years at that number and then pay whatever, but it's a bit harder to disentangle him from that dumpster-fire.
The premise was drafting the player you want to start your team with, with his existing Contract.

So, McKinnon is not on Colorado..
Old 06-11-2022, 11:07 PM   #3104
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The premise was drafting the player you want to start your team with, with his existing Contract.

So, McKinnon is not on Colorado..
Right, but a month from now he'll be under contract for the next 9 years, with 1 at exceptional value.

But if you want to say I have to draft him tonight and can't be certain about his next deal then there are 3 scenarios to weigh:
A. He signs 8x11-12M
B. He signs ~8x13-14M
C. He doesn't want to sign and you trade him for a Lindrosian haul.

With Scenario B it's a tough call - Barkov/Point are better bang for your buck over the longterm, but not quite as good overall and you don't get 1 exceptional value year. Or just 4 years of McDavid. More of a toss-up.

Scenario C is obviously adding layers upon layers of fantasy, but you're not coming away empty handed.
Old 06-12-2022, 04:19 AM   #3105
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Right, but a month from now he'll be under contract for the next 9 years, with 1 at exceptional value.

But if you want to say I have to draft him tonight and can't be certain about his next deal then there are 3 scenarios to weigh:
A. He signs 8x11-12M
B. He signs ~8x13-14M
C. He doesn't want to sign and you trade him for a Lindrosian haul.

With Scenario B it's a tough call - Barkov/Point are better bang for your buck over the longterm, but not quite as good overall and you don't get 1 exceptional value year. Or just 4 years of McDavid. More of a toss-up.

Scenario C is obviously adding layers upon layers of fantasy, but you're not coming away empty handed.
If in this scenario McKinnon won’t sign an extension with anyone, you won’t get an Lindrosian return, he’s a one year rental. He certainly wouldn’t be worth Makar.
Old 06-12-2022, 07:57 AM   #3106
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has there been any real insider info on this? I.e. any confirmation that an offer has been sent etc.?
Old 06-12-2022, 08:49 AM   #3107
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Has there been any real insider info on this? I.e. any confirmation that an offer has been sent etc.?
No.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2022, 11:08 AM   #3108
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If in this scenario McKinnon won’t sign an extension with anyone, you won’t get an Lindrosian return, he’s a one year rental. He certainly wouldn’t be worth Makar.
Presumably MacKinnon would sign an extension with someone, just not you. A team isn't trading for him without negotiating an extension, and it would be a ludicrous gamble for a player to wait a year to sign a ~$100M deal.

I agree with the bolded...I'm the one who kicked this off by saying Makar's a no-brainer #1. It's a lot tougher to rank #2-10, but factoring all possibilities related to MacKinnon I think he's still #2 (as you have to apply those factors to other guys, too).

Those re-sign/trade issues exist to varying degrees with McDavid/Matthews/Draisaitl/Aho/Shesterkin.

Barkov/Point/Fox/Heiskanen/Hughes/Vasilevskiy give you more certainty and better value, but they're a tier below the M's. Goalies are voodoo, but I'd have to think long and hard about Vasi.

Hedman/Josi/Crosby are also somewhere in the discussion.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:18 AM   #3109
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So McKinnon is in the same spot as Johnny was a year ago. It will be interestig to see what transpires. Granted, Denver's a more sought after destination, McKinnon is a bigger fish playing a more important position and younger. I don't see the Avs letting him March to free agency.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:44 AM   #3110
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
So McKinnon is in the same spot as Johnny was a year ago. It will be interestig to see what transpires. Granted, Denver's a more sought after destination, McKinnon is a bigger fish playing a more important position and younger. I don't see the Avs letting him March to free agency.
Crazy part is if they win the cup this year he can command whatever he wants.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:47 AM   #3111
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Crazy part is if they win the cup this year he can command whatever he wants.
He can already do that whether they win or lose.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:51 AM   #3112
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
He can already do that whether they win or lose.

Oh for sure, just think adding a cup ring can add another couple million in his pocket per year.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:55 AM   #3113
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
It is not the same, though. This time last season Gaudreau was coming off of a disappointing year: the Flames were reluctant to make a long-term commitment at the price Gaudreau wanted, and he was not going to undersell himself after a bad season.

MacKinnon is already a proven commodity. He has consistently been one of the League's most dominant players for a few years now, and has also been one of the best players in the post season. MacKinnon is currently in a position to sign the largest contract in NHL history, even before playing a game in the SCF. Gaudreau has never been anywhere close to that.

Quote:
Old 06-12-2022, 11:56 AM   #3114
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh for sure, just think adding a cup ring can add another couple million in his pocket per year.
Maybe. I think he is going to get the 8 year/100m deal like McDavid signed a few years ago.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:56 AM   #3115
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
He is already in a position to become the highest paid player in the NHL. I seriously doubt that a Cup win at this point makes any difference at all to his salary.

Quote:
Old 06-12-2022, 11:59 AM   #3116
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's not coming off two lacklustre seasons like Johnny was...

MacKinnon has five straight years of 99+ pt pace; four of those years were 107+. 58pts in his last 39 playoffs games.

A nice thing for COL is that Makar and Rantanen (and Landeskog) are on fairly low AAVs, and MacKinnon might be reluctant to blow those out of the water. I wouldn't be surprised if he signs 8x11.25 ($90M). Or maybe he wants $92M to mirror his jersey number and match Karlsson for 2nd biggest 8 yr deal.
Old 06-12-2022, 12:05 PM   #3117
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
He's not coming off two lacklustre seasons like Johnny was...

MacKinnon has five straight years of 99+ pt pace; four of those years were 107+. 58pts in his last 39 playoffs games.

A nice thing for COL is that Makar and Rantanen (and Landeskog) are on fairly low AAVs, and MacKinnon might be reluctant to blow those out of the water. I wouldn't be surprised if he signs 8x11.25 ($90M). Or maybe he wants $92M to mirror his jersey number and match Karlsson for 2nd biggest 8 yr deal.
I would be surprised if MacKinnon signs for less than McDavid. He has been one of the lowest paid players for what he produces for several years running, and is a top-three player in the League. He will be 28-years-old when his next contract begins. He needs to ensure that it is the best deal he can get.

Quote:
Old 06-12-2022, 01:16 PM   #3118
Remember1989
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I would be surprised if MacKinnon signs for less than McDavid. He has been one of the lowest paid players for what he produces for several years running, and is a top-three player in the League. He will be 28-years-old when his next contract begins. He needs to ensure that it is the best deal he can get.

I think you might have to prepare to be surprised as he’s said he will take less on his next contract to be a perennial winner. I have heard this refrain from him since the below Score article from 2019. Will a ring change things? I doubt it - he wants to dominate and win.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1854849
Remember1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:49 PM   #3119
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It is not the same, though. This time last season Gaudreau was coming off of a disappointing year: the Flames were reluctant to make a long-term commitment at the price Gaudreau wanted, and he was not going to undersell himself after a bad season.

MacKinnon is already a proven commodity. He has consistently been one of the League's most dominant players for a few years now, and has also been one of the best players in the post season. MacKinnon is currently in a position to sign the largest contract in NHL history, even before playing a game in the SCF. Gaudreau has never been anywhere close to that.

Agree he is on another level and they are very different players. But the comparison still stands. Johnny is career 1.01 points per game. Mckinnon is 1.01 points per game. Johnny has actually proven to be more durable (likely style of play)

My point is more that there will be no uncertainty and McKinnon will be signed before next season starts.

Maybe we'll sign Johnny and all will be well. Or maybe we'll all be wondering why our GM couldn't get the player signed before it came to the last minute with the risk of player walking away for nothing.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:56 PM   #3120
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Agree he is on another level and they are very different players.
If they are "very different players" who are on different levels, then no, the comparison you are making between MacKinnon and Gaudreau does not work. It doesn't work because MacKinnon is already arguably the best player in the world who can command pretty much whatever he wants on his next contract. Gaudreau was never in a position to do that.

Quote:
Maybe we'll sign Johnny and all will be well. Or maybe we'll all be wondering why our GM couldn't get the player signed before it came to the last minute with the risk of player walking away for nothing.
There is no mystery at all here. Treliving did not get Gaudreau under contract because 1) the Flames rightfully uncertain and cautious about his long-term performance on the basis of his most recent results and 2) Gaudreau was not willing to sign a long-term deal after two straight seasons in which he felt he had underperformed.

Again, this situation with MacKinnon is NOTHING at all like where Gaudreau and the Flames were at last year. The only similarity is that both were/will be eligible to sign extensions.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-12-2022 at 03:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win